All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

51 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Personally I'd say go to Judgment next.

if you want a Kiryu game you could probably go straight to Kiwami 2. You can try and play then chronologically, but just be aware Kiwami feels like a massive step back from 0 and while there's enjoyment to be had in 3-5, there's also a lot of roughness and missing QoL improvements.

I’d add that while Kiwami feels like a big step back, the full story that 0 and Kiwami  1 tells is superb and shouldn’t be missed. It’s also a much shorter game - I finished it in under 20 hours, so you can power through it. 

I think also considering I've played two games which basically bookend the whole series I'm less invested in the overall story than the individual moments, so I'm looking for another in the series that is a bit "different"

40 minutes ago, Benny said:

I think it's been so long since I played 0 I'd be tempted to jump into Judgement if that's considered one of the overall series high bars?

Yes, Zero, LaD, and Judgment are top 3 excellent Yakuza games. Can't go wrong!

No it's not on GamePass.

These are your GamePass options according to the app.

Yakuza 0 - Said you've already played it.

Yakuza Kiwami - I enjoyed it, but it will probably feel like a big step back after what you've already played as there's only so much they could do to update a PS2 game. Still nice to know what happened to the characters after Yakuza 0, best to treat it like a

expansion DLC to that game.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Excellent game. On the new engine and unlike Kiwami 1, feels like a modern game. They added a lot of connective tissues with Yakuza 0 when they updated it as well. Possibly best bad guy of the series and definitely best love interest. There's also an added Majima mini-campaign. Also, most importantly has the Cabaret Club mini-game again!

Yakuza 3 - This one is pretty rough, it felt the most dated of any I'd played. There's still fun to be gleaned, but lower your expectations a lot compared to what you've already played. Some of the worse English voice acting known to man to boot.

Yakuza 4 - Feels a lot more modern than 3, albeit pretty dated compared to newer entries. It's a mixed bag, you play 4 characters and some are great (Akiyama) and some are lame (cop character I can't even remember the name of). It has an utterly ludicrous convoluted plot that will make you go 'Come on, seriously???' even by the bar of Yakuza stories.

Yakuza 5 - Really bloated. 5 characters, 5 cities. Also think you'd lose a lot of the flavour if you haven't played the preceding games. Runs out of steam way too early, but you get to play a J-Pop Princess for a while which is, surprisingly, actually one of the best bits of the game!

Yakuza 6 - Loved this. I actually played this after Kiwami I think and skipped all the games in between as they weren't ported to PS4 yet. Never really felt lost although I could feel I was missing context for some things here and there. A much smaller and more personal tale (well by Yakuza standards anyway) that was probably really needed after the lumbering batshit insanity of Yakuza 5. Feels like quite a slight package compared to their entries as it was their first attempt on their new next-gen engine.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Amazing, but you've already played it.

On 09/10/2021 at 12:50, Benny said:

That's pretty comprehensive. I might wait for Judgement to come to Game Pass, it's probably only a matter of time.

Might as well squeeze in a cheeky Kiwami while you’re waiting. ;)

Up to chapter 10 on Yak 0, and loving it so much I already started looking at which to play next.

Just paid £5.95 for Kiwami 2 ( as it looked suitably bonkers ) on Playstation store - £7 without PS+ sub

Going to get Lost Judgement if I see it going cheap, if so i'll play that first - then go onto Kiwami 2 for a bit of variety.

7 hours ago, Totoro said:

Up to chapter 10 on Yak 0, and loving it so much I already started looking at which to play next.

Just paid £5.95 for Kiwami 2 ( as it looked suitably bonkers ) on Playstation store - £7 without PS+ sub

Going to get Lost Judgement if I see it going cheap, if so i'll play that first - then go onto Kiwami 2 for a bit of variety.

The first Judgment is probably cheaper and better if you want to go that route. 

11 hours ago, Totoro said:

Kiwami 2 is my favourite of the entire series. 

You might want to do Judgment (it's v cheap at the moment) before Lost Judgment though.

Is Judgment cheap? I'm struggling to find it anywhere sub-£25. Really regretting not buying it when it was on sale for a tenner not long after release. I guess it's new console + sequel bounce so hopefully it comes down.

(If anyone has a PS4 copy to sell please PM!)

On 01/10/2021 at 10:29, Garwoofoo said:

Wow, Yakuza 6 is short, isn't it? I mean I am really enjoying it and it's got one of the best stories in the whole series, but I've just looked up how many chapters there are and apparently I'm nearly at the end with only 16 hours on the clock. I spent more time than that in Yakuza 5's first location alone.

I've been doing all the sub-stories I've found, too, though I'm missing absolutely loads still. Maybe the fact they don't have the icons on the map in this one is why I've raced through it, normally I end up clearing the map as much as I can in each chapter whereas here I'm just kind of randomly stumbling across stuff.

I haven't really got stuck into the baseball or JUSTIS activities yet, though, and I haven't even found the bar conversations that I've spotted in the Awards list. So I still have tons of stuff to do, just surprised at how quickly I've got through the main plot.

I've spent the last week on 6 just pissing about in Kamurocho. I'll do some Justis missions, goto the gym, hit one of the arcades, wander about looking for cats for the cat cafe, do a side mission or Trouble mission if they pop up. I liked 5 but looking back I didn't really kick back in any of the places. Just ran through each side mission then did the main story. Taking my time on 6.

Each game they always seem to make an utterly baffling design change, usually to the fighting. Whoever had the bright idea of removing the ability to carry around weapons needs a bicycle smashed on their head.

For those that have finished Yakuza 0, just how far am I off the end? I've done 25 hours play and a fair few side quests as I go.

I've just finished Chapter 8,

Spoiler

In the new one Maijima is back with the girl after they hinted he was going to shoot her. No spoilers please!

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

For those that have finished Yakuza 0, just how far am I off the end? I've done 25 hours play and a fair few side quests as I go.

I've just finished Chapter 8,

Reveal hidden contents

In the new one Maijima is back with the girl after they hinted he was going to shoot her. No spoilers please!

I’ve just started chapter 17 = you’ve got a way to go. Pretty sure I’m about to finish.
Wasn’t really sure what to expect, but the storyline is just fantastic.

1 hour ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

I REALLY recommend powering through Kiwami 1 after 0 - they're 2 halves of the same story.

Awww no, spanner in the works!

Got kiwami 2 already installed and about to finish 0.

I may come back to 1, as I’ll probably end up playing all of them.

1 hour ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

I REALLY recommend powering through Kiwami 1 after 0 - they're 2 halves of the same story.

16 minutes ago, Totoro said:

Awww no, spanner in the works!

Got kiwami 2 already installed and about to finish 0.

I may come back to 1, as I’ll probably end up playing all of them.

And Kiwami 2 has a small epilogue to Zero 

26 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Just watch all the Kiwami cutscenes on YouTube. The side quests in that game are pretty mediocre anyway.

Besides Judgment, I have only played parts of Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami so far, but I was wondering if there ever is a sidequest more bonkers than the Giant Impact one from Judgment ?