All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

Finished 0 last night. Wow what an ending! Pure class and surprisingly emotional.

Feel quite bad about not wanting to put more time into real estate and hostess club, but from what i've read they'll be in Kiwami 2, so may as well put the time into it there - and can always come back to it later if need be.

Going to catch up on the Kiwami story on youtube, then dive into Kiwami 2.

Just finished Chapter 11 on Y0.

Spoiler

Out of the two characters I prefer the combat on Majima, swinging a bat around is just loads more fun that punching the living daylights out of people and a lot more brutal. Starting to regret playing LAD first as he seems like a way OTT crazy character and still no idea how he went to that from where I am now, going to be fun finding out.

The character development of Majima Goro in the course of the Yakuza series, starting out as a crazy-for-crazy's-sake side villain in the first game on PS2, is one of the greatest storytelling triumphs in the history of videogames.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The character development of Majima Goro in the course of the Yakuza series, starting out as a crazy-for-crazy's-sake side villain in the first game on PS2, is one of the greatest storytelling triumphs in the history of videogames.

Totally agree. Really felt for him at the end of 0...

I preferred playing as him during the game as well.

Just stared Kiwami 2 after watching all the Kiwami 1 cutscenes - will go back and play it one day as it seemed great.

Kiwami 2 seems a big step up graphically from 0 which is nice, I didn't expect it.

Yeah, everyone expects a

Spoiler

Batman villain origin story during the last moments of 0. Some massive humiliation event, a splash of acid in the face followed by insanity, and then a desire to kill everybody or something.

The fact that Majima's transformation explicitly isn't that, makes it a lot more surprising, and a lot more human.

Why are people saying power through or ignore Kiwami? I'm only about 6 hours in but so far I'm enjoying it, not as good as 0 but for a remaster of the first game it seems good to me. Highlight so far has been busting balls at a Yakuza funeral 🤣

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Why are people saying power through or ignore Kiwami? I'm only about 6 hours in but so far I'm enjoying it, not as good as 0 but for a remaster of the first game it seems good to me. Highlight so far has been busting balls at a Yakuza funeral 🤣

I actually really like Kiwami, the main plot is one of the best in the series and it's quite "gamey" in terms of all the things you need to do to unlock Kiryu's Dragon abilities. Also it introduces a couple of characters who become absolutely pivotal to the series later on and it would be a shame to miss their introductions.

I preferred it to Kiwami 2, actually, which is a more polished experience (albeit still with residual levels of PS2 jank) but has an exceptionally stupid plot, recyles its major diversions from better games in the series, and feels quite forgettable in retrospect.

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I think the substories are a little bit lacking vs 0 (both in quantity and batshit-ness) and there is no business stuff. Story-wise, it's excellent.

Clocked 8 hours of it now and looking online the main story is about 15 hours long. Anyone thinking of coming back to this series of starting out fresh would be crazy to miss it. The game is ssoo good even if its not on par with 0, its still Yakuza and its where it all began so don't do yourself a disservice and skip it because of some crazy comments in here.

It's certainly not the common opinion here, but I prefer Kiwami 1 to Y0. 

Don't get me wrong, Y0 is amazing, but it felt like it would be better played as a prequel after playing a few of the other games. 
K1 feels a bit more straight forwards and streamlined, and I absolutely love it. 

Kiwami 1 and 2 were, essentially, just ports to a new engine with a few improvements.  Yakuza 0 came much much later with all the knowledge that Yakuza team accumulated over making the series, it's also why it's one of the best in the series.  I will admit I'm not a fan of the 'Majima Anywhere' system in Kiwami 1, it just wasn't needed and is a bit of an overkill, especially when the original Yakuza didn't have it.

Must admit I've been really slackin with the games recently, completed all the Yakuza games of course but haven't played Fist Of The North Star (tried the demo and loved it), Judgement or Lost Jugement yet.  I know I'll love them all, blasted real life getting in the way :( 

Just now, mr_woo said:

Kiwami 1 and 2 were, essentially, just ports to a new engine with a few improvements.  Yakuza 0 came much much later with all the knowledge that Yakuza team accumulated over making the series, it's also why it's one of the best in the series.  I will admit I'm not a fan of the 'Majima Anywhere' system in Kiwami 1, it just wasn't needed and is a bit of an overkill, especially when the original Yakuza didn't have it.

Kiwami 1 and 2 actually came after 0, that's why Kiwami 1 has all the slot racing stuff in it and Kiwami 2 finishes off Majima's story from 0.

They're much more than just ports to a new engine but they do have a lot of the original PS2 DNA running through them (1 more than 2). They're both still great, though, obviously.

3 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Kiwami 1 and 2 actually came after 0, that's why Kiwami 1 has all the slot racing stuff in it and Kiwami 2 finishes off Majima's story from 0.

They're much more than just ports to a new engine but they do have a lot of the original PS2 DNA running through them (1 more than 2). They're both still great, though, obviously.

Yeah sorry I was oversimplifying it a bit, they obviously came after 0, they just didn't do change them too much probably because they were churning each Kiwami game out in a year, which is still amazing in itself.  They are a pretty damn efficient studio, well that and plenty of asset reuse.

Still on Chapter 5 of Y0. Haven't progressed the story at all over the last few weeks- I've done 40/60 of Kiryu's and about half of Majima's side quests instead. Focused on building my real estate empire at the moment:

My break from Yakuza only lasted a couple of weeks I have started playing Yakuza Kiwami 2.

Good to see a few quality of life improvements like pin a marker to the map and sidequests appearing on the map. I missed some sidequests in Kiwami.

Levelling up is also way too easy with exp from even eating food.

Finally finished Kiwami 1 and thought I'd switch over to 2 as I was eager to get right back in. I was expecting it to look the same but I thought it almost looked like real life when Kiryu first walked up the street. My god, what a boost. I'm keeping away from spoilers and trailers in case I learn something I shouldn't but do the rest look this good going forward?

8 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Finally finished Kiwami 1 and thought I'd switch over to 2 as I was eager to get right back in. I was expecting it to look the same but I thought it almost looked like real life when Kiryu first walked up the street. My god, what a boost. I'm keeping away from spoilers and trailers in case I learn something I shouldn't but do the rest look this good going forward?

Dragon Engine games? Yes.

Yakuza 6

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Yakuza Like a Dragon

Judgment

Lost Judgment

If you go onto the remasters of Yakuza 3,4 and 5 be prepared for a massive downgrade as they're basically just uprezzed PS3 games.

I just started Kiwami 1 after finishing Zero a few months ago. I think I’ve forgotten how that ended because Majima at the start of his is basically a totally different character to the way he was all through that game. What happened to the smooth suave guy I remember?