IGNORED

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

15 minutes ago, alxbly said:

Soooo.... I've never played any of the Yakuza games but have heard good things about them. I noticed that the Xbox store has Yakuza Zero on sale for £7.49 this week. Is Zero still the best place to start? 

It is. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished 6 - Wow what a emotional rollercoaster of an ending! Defo one of the best in the series for me - all absolute bangers though, and the greatest gaming experience i've ever had. Really glad I got to play them all in order back to back ( apart from a Eleden Ring interlude ) Fell quite empty knowing this is 'probably' the last in the series for Kazima...

Anyway, LAD installing at the moment, looking forward to getting stuck into that. I'll take my time with it as nothing to go straight onto afterwards :(

1 hour ago, Totoro said:

Just finished 6 - Wow what a emotional rollercoaster of an ending! Defo one of the best in the series for me - all absolute bangers though, and the greatest gaming experience i've ever had. Really glad I got to play them all in order back to back ( apart from a Eleden Ring interlude ) Fell quite empty knowing this is 'probably' the last in the series for Kazima...

Anyway, LAD installing at the moment, looking forward to getting stuck into that. I'll take my time with it as nothing to go straight onto afterwards :(

Kaito Files?

40 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Kaito Files?

If I can get it for less than £25!

That's more than i paid for any of the other games, including Lost Judgment and LAD.

19 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I suddenly remembered I have the first Judgment on PS4. Is it updated at all for PS5? I can't see a PS5 version or anything.

There's a PS5 version but I don't think there's an option to upgrade a PS4 copy.

It's 60fps but I remember the difference in visuals and lighting being criticised. I havent played either version though.

34 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I suddenly remembered I have the first Judgment on PS4. Is it updated at all for PS5? I can't see a PS5 version or anything.

Yeah, the PS5 version is a separate release. Pissed me off at the time, since I’ve had a digital version of the PS4 game gathering cyber dust pretty much since release. I needn’t have bothered and should have just waited for the PS5, whatever that was supposed to be back in Nineteen Canteen.

Ah well. I picked the thing up absolutely ages ago in a sale I think, just never really go beyond the initial intro!

May well have to purchase again I guess, seeing as the chances of it ever coming out on PC seem to be near to zero at the mo'.

In other news, for some reason I play a quick hour or two of the start of Y4 again - I'd forgotten how much I like Akiyama as a character. Would have loved to have a solo game revolving around his loan business shenanigans. Also love his secretary in the office!

12 hours ago, JoeK said:

In other news, for some reason I play a quick hour or two of the start of Y4 again - I'd forgotten how much I like Akiyama as a character. Would have loved to have a solo game revolving around his loan business shenanigans. Also love his secretary in the office!

Yeah he is great but in a lot of ways he's just 'what if Kiryu never joined the Yakuza?' I do love the seedy back street businesses though and it worked brilliantly in Judgment. 

His 70s Elton John premium adventure outfit is easily top 5 for the whole series though:

745352598_Screenshot_20220411-2253052.thumb.png.3a99a5aa7800d1215d306bc37dbe6c0e.png

Couple of hours into 7 now. Never been a far of turn based combat so was a little worried but actually rather enjoying it so far, feels rather relaxing. Story seems interesting and some of the side quests (cinema) really had me laughing. Wonderful stuff. Perfect antidote to Elden Ring which I’ve also dipped back into mop up some of the harder bits I skipped.

9 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Yeah he is great but in a lot of ways he's just 'what if Kiryu never joined the Yakuza?'

His personality is nothing like Kiryu’s! He’s a total scuzzy spiv wideboy snake oil salesman. Kiryu is a big earnest and glaiket goober in comparison.

I agree an Akiyama spinoff would be excellent. He’s the third best playable character in the series for me.

I dunno, yeah he's a money lender (some would say loan shark) but it's still done with a Kiryu-esque wide-eyed idealism. Not disputing him being a great protagonist though, RGG Studio have an incredible knack of churning out fully formed characters with interesting backstories and personalities.

I've completed Yakuza 3 & 4 the past few months, hate the QTE and chase sequences.

Spoiler for Yakuza 4

Spoiler

Loved the multiple characters gameplay, even if I did not enjoy Saejima fight style. Also Finale fight was tough for Tanimura.

Binged Yakuza 0 over the last week or so, now moved on to Kiwami and I’m having a wonderful time.

In case it’s escaped your attention this is a thing that exists:

Set in Kabukicho / Kamarucho, plenty of Yakuza and hostess bars, the first episode is directed by Michael Mann, it stars some actor accused of sexual assault. I’ve seen two episodes and I suppose it’s pretty average really, but it’s undemanding and it’s fun to watch out for familiar locations. On HBO now, supposedly iPlayer later in the year. 

1 hour ago, Graham S said:

Binged Yakuza 0 over the last week or so, now moved on to Kiwami and I’m having a wonderful time.

In case it’s escaped your attention this is a thing that exists:

Set in Kabukicho / Kamarucho, plenty of Yakuza and hostess bars, the first episode is directed by Michael Mann, it stars some actor accused of sexual assault. I’ve seen two episodes and I suppose it’s pretty average really, but it’s undemanding and it’s fun to watch out for familiar locations. On HBO now, supposedly iPlayer later in the year. 

Its based on a book that is presented as a true story but is apparently total bollocks. The writer has been shown up to be a total dickhead since as well. I'm passing on it.

Lots of great videos of people walking about Kabukichō on YouTube though. If you want to see the place.

People seem to really, really hate Jake Adelstein. I understand why - I read his book, and thought he was an absolute knob - but the accusations of him being a fantasist seem hard to substantiate. Again, I get why - his book is so badly written it seems like fiction - but he still seems to work as a fairly high profile journalist. I would have thought he would have been exposed by now if he was a Jayson Blair / Johann Hari type. 

That was what I gathered from 5 minutes of googling. I haven’t read the book, but even in this glossy adaptation with himself played by a film star, he comes across as a knob, so in real life he’s doubtless insufferable. He also seemed to be a guy that was prepared to have online arguments in Reddit threads about himself so I can see how he ends up being hated by some people online, especially when there are bound to be plenty of enthusiasts and expatriates with their own views on the country and the topics he covers.

I’ve seen 4 episodes now, and I’m enjoying the show., it’s fine. I don’t really mind if it’s not strictly accurate. For instance, it doesn’t seem to cover the secret red light districts or underground fight arenas accessed from riverboats or park toilets, so the film makers clearly don’t know the subject matter as well as I do. 

Did not enjoy Kiwami nearly as much as 0. Story and characters made little sense, some of the fights were a bit dull and annoying, many of the side quests were very PS2. I’m largely still enjoying it, and I liked seeing what happened to the characters from 0,  so I think I’ll press on with Kiwami 2 but I think I’ll be wanting things to pick up a fair bit or I’ll be shaking off my addiction at some point. 

58 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Did not enjoy Kiwami nearly as much as 0. Story and characters made little sense, some of the fights were a bit dull and annoying, many of the side quests were very PS2. I’m largely still enjoying it, and I liked seeing what happened to the characters from 0,  so I think I’ll press on with Kiwami 2 but I think I’ll be wanting things to pick up a fair bit or I’ll be shaking off my addiction at some point. 

2 is definitely a step up but still a PS2 remake. You could skip straight to 5 and/or 6 for the end of the Kiryu saga, both those games are of a similar quality as 0.

Both Judgment and Like a Dragon are standalone spinoffs which are even betterer (and newer) than 0 and also excellent jumping on points.

Your choice. I recommend trying Kiwami 2 first.

I've found that replays of Kiwami have left a better impression on me than the initial run through really. I really like it, and I do like seeing poor old Nishiki's gradual descent into becoming the biggest wanker in Kamurocho is great (well, sad I guess!). 

Kiwami 2 is actually the one I don't currently like as much, but I think that's because the control system feels very, very different and I had an absolute bugger of a time getting used to it. 

But, hey - these games have so much replay value, I'll no doubt be putting it on again, for sure.

You rotters. 

I'm now balls-deep in Y0 again.

I bloody love Kuze.

It's that voice of his. It's awesome. 

Plus, smacking him silly all the time. That's always good.

Yes don't skip K2. Its one of the series highlights!

3 & 4 though, those are a step back in time. Kiwami 2 is one of the greatest games I've ever played and totally stands up today.

Love this series. I started from the beginning on PS2 when they came out (and nobody else seemed to care when they were busy playing GTA or whatever...). I still have my OG copies including Yakuza 2 with a Play.com receipt for the £17.99 launch day price lol. The PS2 twilight days and the stupid low prices for A-quality games is nostalgic for me.

I think that the PS2 versions of 1 and 2 have a darker, grittier feel to them that I miss from the later games which added a lot more humour and weird comedy. Just listening to the original mix of "Receive You" from the first game takes me back. Conversely, I'm not sure I could actually play them today with the gradual stacking of enhancements to gameplay over the years. I seem to remember the original being pretty brutal in terms of how you could easily miss sidequests for good, especially when there were no markers on the map...

3/4/5 on PS3 were all superb, though I feel 5 had far too much to do if you were a completionist, and the weapon upgrade/EXP system was annoying and slow.

Completed 0, the Kiwamis, and 3/4 HD and thoroughly enjoyed revisiting the storylines and characters again. Just need to re-do 5 via the HD update.

Yakuza 6 is a fantastic finale to the Kiryu storyline but the ending was a bit of a cop-out/damp squib for me. Also annoying how many series staple sidequests and items were absent (though I believe Sega/RGG Studio were rushed to put the game out hence the lack of Champion District, weapon modding etc.).

Like a Dragon is still sealed on my shelf. I don't have as much motivation to play it knowing that it's all new characters and a different battle system but I'm sure I will get around to it one day.

1 hour ago, megamixer said:

Love this series. I started from the beginning on PS2 when they came out (and nobody else seemed to care when they were busy playing GTA or whatever...). I still have my OG copies including Yakuza 2 with a Play.com receipt for the £17.99 launch day price lol. The PS2 twilight days and the stupid low prices for A-quality games is nostalgic for me.

I think that the PS2 versions of 1 and 2 have a darker, grittier feel to them that I miss from the later games which added a lot more humour and weird comedy. Just listening to the original mix of "Receive You" from the first game takes me back. Conversely, I'm not sure I could actually play them today with the gradual stacking of enhancements to gameplay over the years. I seem to remember the original being pretty brutal in terms of how you could easily miss sidequests for good, especially when there were no markers on the map...

3/4/5 on PS3 were all superb, though I feel 5 had far too much to do if you were a completionist, and the weapon upgrade/EXP system was annoying and slow.

Completed 0, the Kiwamis, and 3/4 HD and thoroughly enjoyed revisiting the storylines and characters again. Just need to re-do 5 via the HD update.

Yakuza 6 is a fantastic finale to the Kiryu storyline but the ending was a bit of a cop-out/damp squib for me. Also annoying how many series staple sidequests and items were absent (though I believe Sega/RGG Studio were rushed to put the game out hence the lack of Champion District, weapon modding etc.).

Like a Dragon is still sealed on my shelf. I don't have as much motivation to play it knowing that it's all new characters and a different battle system but I'm sure I will get around to it one day.

I also started with Y1 on PS2. Nobody else I knew cared. I remember with the Y3 thread when the game was announced it was like 3 forumites total in that thread. It's been my favourite series ever since the PS2 days.

Like A Dragon is a triumph. You'll love it.