IGNORED

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

Few more fights and the combat is so much better in this. I really enjoy it here, while in Yakuza Kiwami it can feel like a chore. A shame they didn't simply transfer it to Kiwami. On paper it looks the same, but Rush for instance feels a lot smoother in Zero than it does in Kiwami.

"I'm the shooreh pippi king!" should've been an achievement for completing that particular sub-story.

And clearly Yakuza 0 >>> Yakuza Kiwami. And to think that Shimano fight in Kiwami almost put me off the series completely. Gonna need lots of kulipaas to earn my forgiveness.

19 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

"I'm the shooreh pippi king!" should've been an achievement for completing that particular sub-story.

And clearly Yakuza 0 >>> Yakuza Kiwami. And to think that Shimano fight in Kiwami almost put me off the series completely. Gonna need lots of kulipaas to earn my forgiveness.

If you are really struggling with a particular boss just drop the difficulty for it. Can easily revert back after.

The only boss I ever really had trouble with in the series was the first fight you have with Ryuji. I think because the game mechanics of Kiwami 2 are so different from Zero and K1, it absolutely threw me, and I suffered for absolutely ages before working it all out. After that, nothing was too bad really.

Although...the turtling going on in Yakuza 3 is just absurdly frustrating.

On 22/05/2022 at 08:35, JoeK said:

Although...the turtling going on in Yakuza 3 is just absurdly frustrating.

Agreed but I've always wondered if this was some sort of programming error as it just felt so out of place when the CPU blocking wasn't this bad in 1 and 2 or the subsequent 4 onwards. That said, it was still the case in the HD version of 3 so I guess it can't have been something that should have been "fixed". It did make some of the boss fights aggravating as hell though. One that stuck out to me was that knife-wielding boss in the office on Okinawa which was such a pain with all the blocking going on. Some of the IFR virtual fights were a bastard too for the same reason.

The Tiger Drop counter is just absolute God Mode when you consistently nail the timing and should get you through pretty much every tough spot. It even works against weapon attacks.

Another "strategy" is to spend time (when you are further into the games) forging some of the top, most damaging weapons. Abuse Tauriners and Staminans to fill the heat gauge and spam heat weapon heat attacks.

The hardest bosses though are some of the optional Amon fights, some of which are just absurd. There's one game where one of the Amon brothers summons the ship from Boxcellios and the laser beam does crazy damage. There's another (I think it's Yakuza 6) where there's also loads of drones attacking. That one took me a while. The fact that the Amon's also break weapons in an instant makes spamming super-powerful weapons not an option.

Sure yeah we can all complain about the boss fights in Yak3 but then again we can all just STFU about the boss fights in Yak3 because there’s a boss fight in Yak3 with the greatest ever music:

If you’re not beating up your boss to this tune you’re dead inside :quote:

Judgment is 50% off in the Xbox sale at the moment.

Very tempted but part of me wonders if that's the final sale before it appears on Game Pass. It's got to happen at some point, right?

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Judgment is 50% off in the Xbox sale at the moment.

Very tempted but part of me wonders if that's the final sale before it appears on Game Pass. It's got to happen at some point, right?

Thought it was on last year? So might be awhile yet.

On 28/05/2022 at 17:09, Keyboard Koala said:

And now Michael Jackson, I mean Miracle Johnson, is my new real estate advisor?! I love it when games are over the top like this :D

There's a few cool celeb knock-offs in the series. I think it's Yakuza 5 that has a mission with a very Lady Gaga-esque celebrity.

For me, it's all about the Essence of Unlucky Man, Essence of Bike Smashing, and Essence of Smoking. These three are probably my most triggered heat moves in the games that appear in. Whoever dreamt up the increasingly crazy Heat specials must have had an absolute blast! These are the ones I always show to people who I try to explain the coolness of the series to.

• 2 weeks later...

HEADS UP for all the Kiryu-curious reading this. 

Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 and 2 are on sale on Xbox for 5 euros each! That's like 3 quid per game give or take? Get in!

LAD also on sale.

• 2 weeks later...