All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

Yakuza 2 confirmed for the US at least..

http://uk.ps2.ign.com/articles/821/821915p1.html

In the wake of the announcement that the third entry in the Yakuza franchise was to be a major mega-production for the PlayStation 3, many gamers outside of Japan were at a loss as to what might be the fate of the franchise when only one Yakuza game has been released in North America. Satisfying fans' need for more of the action-adventure franchise and promising that players won't be left with major story chunks missing when the PlayStation 3 game finally arrives, SEGA has officially announced that Yakuza 2 will be released on PlayStation 2 in 2008.

Yakuza was decent, but it was really fuck all like Shenmue.

Both are story and quest led, set in Japanese cities and towns replicated to the N'th degree, have dozens of optional side quests with a population going about their business, and have fighting systems that try to be more like beat-em-ups.

Yakuza's more streamlined than Shenmue, has improved fighting, and a better taste in clothes, but it's certainly a direct descendant.

Shenmue's down and probably out, so let's hope Yak 3 takes the ball and runs with it.

No idea. Downloading it now though :angry:

here is the synopsis:

Like a Dragon 2007 DVDRip XviD

Prepare for one very hot, very action-packed night in Miike Takashi's Ryu ga Gotoku, a.k.a. Like a Dragon. Based on the hit PlayStation 2 game, the film delivers with all the violent, fast-paced fisticuffs and wry, loony gusto one could hope from the maverick director. With madcap gangsters, silent snipers, and a plethora of colorful characters running around, Ryu ga Gotoku is a bewilderingly entertaining throw 'em up mix of hardboiled drama, giddy action, black comedy, and pure Miike magic - all squeezed into a feverishly layered story that plays out over one night in the sleepless streets of Shinjuku. Kishitani Goro (Returner) and Kitamura Kazuki (Samurai Commando Mission 1549) star as feuding gangsters, along with a superb supporting cast that includes Korean actor Gong Yoo (My Tutor Friend), Arakawa Yoshiyoshi (Yaji & Kita: The Midnight Pilgrims), Shioya Shun (Pacchigi!), and Aikawa Sho (Zebraman).

In the sweltering heat of Tokyo summer, the night begins with a bank robbery and the disappearance of 10 million yen belonging to the Tojo gang. Meanwhile, yakuza Majima Goro (Kishitani Goro), decked in a gold suit and with more than a few screws loose, is out to fight rival gangster Kiryu Kazuma. The somber and seemingly indestructible Kiryu, however, has just left his gang and has in tow a little girl (Natsuo), whose mother he is trying to track down. In another part of town, Satori (Shioya Shun) and his girlfriend (Saeko) decide to start holding up stores for fun, and mysterious Korean hitman Park (Gong Yoo) haunts the streets looking to off the culprit behind the bank robbery. As the night passes, Majima and Kiryu cross paths repeatedly, in a series of increasingly bloody and bombastic stand-offs that bring them straight to the top of the Millennium Tower.

20076223431.2025752.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
New gameplay trailer on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=5270

Looks great! Love the way you take down notes about animal movements. I'm wondering whether there's going to be some jumping into modern Japan as well? Those fantasy scenes look remarkably modern for a 17th century Geisha house, red rubber a-go-go.

Another trailer of the movie here:

• 1 month later...

Not sure, I know it's been confirmed for the US though, so hopefully we'll hear something soon.

New screens look good, mushashi! I like how they have the actors next to screen for comparisons! :( And which of those screens were NSFW? They all looked ok to me, some CGI girls in bikinis was the worst I could see!

Yakuza 2 is awesome. If you liked the first game, you'll love the second. The fighting system gets a bunch of little improvements, so that you don't punch a combo in a straight line if you miss an enemy for instance, they added new team up moves to make fighting with a friendly AI more interesting and importantly, the load times are reduced for the screen before fights. Also they've stuck in another city for you to explore, and while Osaka doesn't feel quite as big and the second area in Osaka is pretty empty, it's still a nice addition. The story is interesting and the new characters, like the Osaka gang boss, are good additions to the game. It's also slightly wackier than the first game, which isn't really a plus for me, but does lead to some...interesting fights. If you thought that the 'underworld' area in the first game was a bit much then...one of things they throw into this game might tip you over the edge.

The Ryu Ga Gotoku movie is very entertaining, I really enjoyed it. They've changed the story up, of course, but they keep a lot of elements in from the games. I'd say, if you're a fan of Miike's older yakuza films, you'll enjoy this. Some of the side stories are entertaining and most of the actors are a great fit for their part, especially the most important ones, that being Kazuki Kitamura from the last Godzilla as Kiryu and Goro Kishitani from Graveyard of Honour/Returner as Majima. The movie gets a bit shakey at the end, and if you haven't played the games or watched the prequel films, you might think it's a bit random. But since we've all played the games and know who everyone is, it's no bother!

Really looking forward to Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! I love stories about Musashi and I think they've put an interesting twist on him here that I haven't seen before, with this whole 'double life' mechanic that they've worked into the gameplay. The famous actors playing the famous roles in Musashi/Kiryu's life are also great. It comes out on March 6th in Japan and the website recently updated with a lot of new information and some small videos.

http://www.ryu-ga-gotoku.com

That disco in the 3rd trailer is straight out of GTA: Vice City.

Yeah, as it says on the screen, that bit of the opening cutscene is set in 1980. Unfortunately we don't get to play in that time period, the rest of it is in the present ;)

Another good feature it just reminded me of is that at the start of the game you can get a recap of the first Ryu Ga Gotoku game if you want, in case you didn't play it.

Where has Y2 been "confirmed"... and confirmed for what? European release?

I think the title of the thread is in reference to "Yakuza 2" being confirmed as coming to Western territories. Although Ryu Ga Gotoku 2 has been out in Japan for about a year, it was only confirmed a month or two ago that an English language version (Yakuza 2) would be made and released in the new year. I don't think a European release has been confirmed yet, but I'd imagine one is likely.

As for where and who confirmed it, Sega of America announced it would translate Ryu Ga Gotoku 2 into Yakuza 2. I believe there are articles about it on a lot of the gamesites. A two second google search for Yakuza 2 pulled up this one from Gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6179488.html

I heard that in a 1Up podcast, they said the game would be subtitled and not dubbed. That hasn't been confirmed though.

The new PS3 game Ryu Ga Gotoko Kenzan, which comes out in Japan in three months, has yet to be confirmed for a Western release, as far as I'm aware, but I think there is a good chance that it will.

If that's true then great!

Yeah it would be good. Actually, I'm not sure what the English voices are like, so I just looked up a clip on YouTube and found one from the start of the game when Kiryu meets Majima. They weren't that bad in the short clip, usual American cheese, but I nearly burst out laughing when Majima called the thug he was beating a "stupid fucking motherfucker"! I also noticed they kept in "san" and "chan" attachments to people's names in the English version, which is strange. So yes, even more reason to keep the voice acting original. Also it seems a shame to replace great Japanese actors like the famous Tetsuya Watari replaced with Roger L. Jackson...who?

I hope they go the sub over dub route with Kenzan as well. Some great actors like Susumu Terajima are going to be in it!