IGNORED

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

Sega won't make Shenmue III because people ask them to, they'll only make it if they think they can make a massive profit on it. The Sega of today simply can't afford to take the risk, that one game almost single handily killed the old Sega home division.

So the massive losses on the Saturn and Dreamcast hardware had nothing to do with it? :)

The continuing losses from hardware would have meant it was inevitable they would have to withdraw sooner, rather than later. Even if Project Berkley had made a $100 million profit, the hardware losses would have swallowed that up in less than a year. The worst complaint you can make about Shenmue from a financial standpoint is that it may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but it certainly isn't responsible for almost single-handedly killing off the home software division.

Current thirdparties are losing more than what Project Berkley cost in a single year, yet they are all still in business and it's not as if the merger with Sammy hasn't resulted in greater than $70 million losses in a single year, and they can't even blame it on hardware! (or Shenmue) :rolleyes:

Putting those losses into context, they could of done Shenmue III easily by now and it wouldn't have affected their total losses by much... :P

• 2 weeks later...

So, according to the latest 4 Guys 1up podcast, they're actually dubbing Yakuza 3 into English after all. My thoughts:

1) I hope they leave the Japanese voices in and let us choose, because I doubt they're getting the cream of the crop in voice talent for this conversion

2) Are they fucking insane? Sega is spilling out yet more cash on a series that has failed twice in the west? It's not going to do any better this time - all we want them to do is a cheap and cheerful text-only conversion for the fans, and they'll probably make their money back on that. All that's happening now is that they're dooming a Western release of Yakuza 4 when Yakuza 3 inevitably fails.

So, according to the latest 4 Guys 1up podcast, they're actually dubbing Yakuza 3 into English after all. My thoughts:

1) I hope they leave the Japanese voices in and let us choose, because I doubt they're getting the cream of the crop in voice talent for this conversion

2) Are they fucking insane? Sega is spilling out yet more cash on a series that has failed twice in the west? It's not going to do any better this time - all we want them to do is a cheap and cheerful text-only conversion for the fans, and they'll probably make their money back on that. All that's happening now is that they're dooming a Western release of Yakuza 4 when Yakuza 3 inevitably fails.

Rejoice, because Sega has already officialy commented on that rumour and it's not true! Two days ago they confirmed subs for the European release here and today they confirmed subs for the American version too, see here.

Panic over people!We can all go back to going all :D:):D over Yakuza 3 :omg:

Edit: damn you Aimless, you and your speedy replying skills! But take note of the fact that my post contains not one but two informative links :omg:

Yeah, listening to the cast now and he never explicitly states there's a dub in the works. He talks about localisation further to their discussion of Yakuza, but that's about it, as far as I can tell.

Phew.

I'm fairly sure he was talking about going out and hiring voice talent for it. I was a bit tired when I listened to it though, so it's possible I imagined everything I guess. Apologies for worrying everyone if that's the case.

I'm fairly sure he was talking about going out and hiring voice talent for it. I was a bit tired when I listened to it though, so it's possible I imagined everything I guess. Apologies for worrying everyone if that's the case.

You're not the only one who thought that, the whole rumour that at least the American version would have an English voicetrack originated in that same 4 Guys 1UP podcast. Thing is, it's all old news, and Sega has confirmed otherwise since. This is the order in which it all happened:

January 2nd: according to PS3center, Sega confirms on the latest 4 Guys 1UP podcast that the US release of Yakuza 3 will see English voice-overs in the game after all.

Edit:January 2nd: Comrade listens to the 4 guys 1UP podcast and comes to the same conclusion, decides to post his findings on Rllmuk asap

January 3rd/4th: sites like VG247 report this news and run with it - internet panics

January 4th: VG247 e-mails Sega of Europe and a UK Sega rep responds that the podcast comments were the result of a crossed wires: “I can confirm that this is a misunderstanding and the game will feature Japanese [voice-over] with English text as with Yakuza 2,” he says, but adds that he can only speak for the UK/EU version.

January 6th: Sega of America confirms that the US edition of Yakuza 3 will also contain Japanese voiceovers with English subtitles: “Yakuza 3 will actually have full English subtitling only, no English voice-overs"

Later that day on January 6th: Comrade finally gets around to posting his findings and sends Rllmuk into a mass panic

:(

Other than amazon where are people preordering this from?

HMV and ShopTo are also taking pre-orders (ShopTo currently the cheapest) - both state release date of 26th March but Amazon say the 12th.

HMV and ShopTo are also taking pre-orders (ShopTo currently the cheapest) - both state release date of 26th March but Amazon say the 12th.
I've preordered it from shopto, because in my experience amazon are shit with preorders. Game are usually the best, to be fair.

Good news on the voice-over front. Definately wouldn't have enjoyed a cheap english dub.

thanks guys, going for shopto. think i might have to quit for the end of mar then look for another job prob in august sometime when am done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you all still excited? I know I am! ;):D:omg:

Of course, as you all know Sega are never known to shy away from doing everything humanly possible to dampen all enthusiasm for any half-decent game they miraculously manage to make these days, and I'm glad to see that this time is no different. I present to you all... the US boxart for Yakuza 3:

Yakuza-3-North-America-art.jpg

:blink:

Ah well, it won't make the game any less brilliant so fuck you Sega! Because I'm still excited: :omg: :OMG: