All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

Yeah it would be good. Actually, I'm not sure what the English voices are like, so I just looked up a clip on YouTube and found one from the start of the game when Kiryu meets Majima. They weren't that bad in the short clip, usual American cheese, but I nearly burst out laughing when Majima called the thug he was beating a "stupid fucking motherfucker"! I also noticed they kept in "san" and "chan" attachments to people's names in the English version, which is strange.

Oh yeah, I forgot there was a lot of swearing in the first one :angry:

It wasn't that bad a dub at all really. Anyway subs only sounds more practical as it would be cheap just to slap on some subs and change the menus rather than dubbing the whole flippin thing. Just like they did with Shenmue 2.

Be nice to have the option one day though.

Oh yeah, I forgot there was a lot of swearing in the first one ;)

It wasn't that bad a dub at all really. Anyway subs only sounds more practical as it would be cheap just to slap on some subs and change the menus rather than dubbing the whole flippin thing. Just like they did with Shenmue 2.

Be nice to have the option one day though.

Yeah it would be better and easier just to go with subs, I hope they do for Kenzan as well. The swearing is a little silly, it probably would have bothered me if I'd played the dub. Not because I'm a prude or anything, just because it seems like overkill i.e "You fucking motherfucker" <- probably could have done without the first "fucking" there, chief.

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm, let's see. Turtle racing, a cow abducted by UFO's, hang gliding and some badass swordplay.

And this:

rggkenzan007.jpg

Dunno what you've smoked Nagoshi, but I do want some of it.

On another note, this game has some spectacular killing:

<a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29001.html" target="_blank">http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29001.html</a>

I thought that was a photo of a real lass at first glance :D

German website Gamefront.de is reporting that PlayStation 3 exclusive game Yakuza 3 will have a demo that will be released on the PlayStation Network in a couple of days, possibly in mid-January.

Yakuza 3 is part of a franchise that began on the PlayStation 2. Sega mentioned once that the objective behind releasing the third installment was to rekindle the samurai spirit that has been lost to the younger generation.

That said, it has been revealed that the latest installment will take place during the 1605 period and not in the modern era, clearly veering away from its predecessors. The full game is expected to come out in Japan on March 6 for US 75.

An international release date has yet to be confirmed but one is expected soon. The same goes for the availability of the demo in other regions.

Good news for people who own a PS3

Bad news for people who will buy one when Yakuza 3 comes out in the US (With Yakuza 2 having been previously released)

Oh, and please fix the map key colours so us colourblinds can actually play your games.

According to a reliable source, there are going to be 2 demos released for Kenzan (some size limit problem with JPN PSN :lol: )

The first demo will cover the prologue of the game's story mode, while the second demo will allow you to sample the adventure and exploration elements that the series is known for.

Be curious to see how the western release (assuming it comes out) will be handled regarding censorship and translation.

So, just to get something straight, this Japanese account that I need, I don't need to enter a credit card number right? I mean, I just set up a new profile and enter the address as being in Japan? Do I need a new email address or can I use the one I already have for my UK account?

So, just to get something straight, this Japanese account that I need, I don't need to enter a credit card number right? I mean, I just set up a new profile and enter the address as being in Japan? Do I need a new email address or can I use the one I already have for my UK account?

There's some instructions here, chief -> http://blogs.ign.com/xheavenxsentx/2006/12/09/39684/

I'll be trying it out later meself. Not sure how you get fundage for any stuff you want to pay for (Japanese points cards perhaps) but there you go.

Let us know how it is ;)

Well, I only realised after setting up the account that I won't understand what the hell is going on, so the demo may not be that great for me. Having said that I'm a massive fan of the first game, so ^_^

US too? I thought you needed a valid address and credit card for that?

My address was Sony USA LOL, New York, and it worked. So did my "Sony Store Japan LOL" address for the Japanese one. The LOL was to fill in one of the fields, but I had no idea what the field was about in the Japanese one. I think you need a valid post code though, however I just used a random post code from the net for the US one and a random 3 digit number for the Japanese one.

The adventure demo is a bit shit if you don't speak Japanese. I don't know what the hell is going on and choosing the wrong option means people repeat themselves. This is especially painful with the tutorial guy who will go on and on and on if you choose the wrong option. Not a fault with the game of course.

UPDATE 1: Well, after about 30 mins running around town it plays exactly like Yakuza 1, and I mean exactly. There's no loading screens as you go from area to area and you can move the camera but there are blank pauses for a few seconds when entering and leaving shops. Also, there's no speech, at least up to now, it's all done with text. I was a bit shocked at that really, I think I've been spoilt by Mass Effect and, well, most other recent games really.

It doesn't look as amazing as it does in screenshots, there's a certain PS2-ness about it. Same for the animation. It's not shit or anything, there's just something lacking. At times it can look good, but at others it looks and moves like an upscaled PS2 game. Again, it's not that it looks shit, I think I just expected it to look better.

Bet you're regretting that £70 PS3 now, eh? :ph34r:

I can't be arsed with it for today, I've switched off Yakuza 3 and I'm watching Rocky Balboa and eating an amazing chilli con carne I made. It's too much like hard work trying to play it in Japanese. All I gathered from the demo is that I want to play the English version and that up to now it is, at worst, exactly the same as Yakuza 1 but in feudal Japan. For me at least that's good enough.

:ph34r:

Is it wrong that I'm seriously considering getting a PS3 just to be able to play the demo while waiting for the game to appear?

Well the adventure demo isn't worth it because unless you speak Japanese then all you're doing is walking around randomly and skipping lots of text. The combat demo however, well, you get to do horseback archery, sword fighting and fist to fist fighting. It's pretty good. The fighting is very Yakuza 1, it even has the slow motions finishing move. The swordfighting is better than I thought too. It's still a little too fantasy for me (I wanted it to be really rough like the fighting in Yakuza) but there are really nice touches like the fact that you see the slash marks on enemies so you can see the damage you've done and the fact that when someone blocks behind them they don't just magically teleport their sword, they actually position it behind them. I'm probably not explaining it well, but it looks cool. I was also worried there would be no hand to hand fighting, but it's certainly there :unsure:

EDIT: There is real time weapon change! You can change whether you have 1, 2 or no swords on the fly. The d-pad is used to select weapons. The power of TEH CELL!!!!11

Judging from the demo it's not going to be the graphical leap I was expecting, more like Onimusha after Resi 3. But hey, it still has a fun, clean style and plenty of interesting characters. The originals were hardly about cutting edge graphics anyway, more about the atmosphere and setting.

Now where can you find a combini in feudal Japan?

• 1 month later...

I finally finished the first Yakuza after hearing Garnet on 1up singing its praises and re-buying a used copy (sold my last copy last year after getting stuck). It's certainly one of the most memorable games I've played. Yes the combat's flawed but once you get used to the idiosyncracies it's really fun.

Best thing about the game is the atmosphere and the story, best plotlines outside of a decent RPG and the presentation is excellent. Surprising as the whole thing's dubbed.

Anyway my completion time was around 31 hours and a few new features have opened up allowing me to go back and finish off all the side-quests, outside of the main story.

Yakuza 2 can't come soon enough as I'm already missing trudging the streets. Anyone that's played it care to outline the improvements in the sequel? The fact that the third one will be released soon after is like having your cake, er, and then getting an even bigger cake. :angry:

EDIT: Oh, Kinketsu already did on page 3.

Yakuza 2 is awesome. If you liked the first game, you'll love the second. The fighting system gets a bunch of little improvements, so that you don't punch a combo in a straight line if you miss an enemy for instance, they added new team up moves to make fighting with a friendly AI more interesting and importantly, the load times are reduced for the screen before fights. Also they've stuck in another city for you to explore, and while Osaka doesn't feel quite as big and the second area in Osaka is pretty empty, it's still a nice addition. The story is interesting and the new characters, like the Osaka gang boss, are good additions to the game. It's also slightly wackier than the first game, which isn't really a plus for me, but does lead to some...interesting fights. If you thought that the 'underworld' area in the first game was a bit much then...one of things they throw into this game might tip you over the edge.