IGNORED

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

I played through the first one at the turn of the year, and much like Preacher I started-off enjoying everything about it, and took the time to explore and level-up. But then you realise that the story is all a bit pap, there isn't much substance to a lot of the stuff you can do, the random battles begin to drag, and it just goes on far, far longer than it needs to. Too much padding. And so I ended-up just wanting to get it done and moving-on.

And I've read that the second one isn't really any different, except as has been pointed-out the story is even sillier.

So Kinkestsu, did you order this in the end? Does anybody know if it is filled with a lot of needless padding?

I played through the first one at the turn of the year, and much like Preacher I started-off enjoying everything about it, and took the time to explore and level-up. But then you realise that the story is all a bit pap, there isn't much substance to a lot of the stuff you can do, the random battles begin to drag, and it just goes on far, far longer than it needs to. Too much padding. And so I ended-up just wanting to get it done and moving-on.

And I've read that the second one isn't really any different, except as has been pointed-out the story is even sillier.

So Kinkestsu, did you order this in the end? Does anybody know if it is filled with a lot of needless padding?

The new one or Yakuza 2? I bought Y2 when it came out in Japan. I didn't get the new one in the end, I forgot and got sidetracked into preordering GTAIV and Metal Gear and stuff. I'm still not sure if I should get it in Japanese or not. I'm playing through Yakuza 2 again at the moment in Japanese and while it's alright, it sometimes leads to me being stuck at parts I wouldn't be stuck at otherwise because I can't remember what fucking "naizou" or whatever means (intestines by the way if anyone is curious, talk about random...)

Yakuza 2 is like the first one, but better. The story gets very silly, but the combat has been improved with being able to attack and counter in all directions. The load times are much better.

Personally, I think that the games are good length, but I think doing the side missions actually helps the overall experience. When you play just through the story missions, there are a lot of missions where they are needlessly padded. Like you start a mission at Stardust, and they want you to go to the other side of the map, and then come back, and it's all dragging it out a bit. If you do the side missions, you can run into the next part of a side mission on your way to somewhere on a main mission. And other side missions all take place in the one spot. Kenzan seems to have just as much of a similar approach to padding the missions as the previous games, the mission in the demo is certainly like one you'd get in the older games, and then there's all the side stuff (130 side missions I think in RGGKenzan which is up slightly from the second game even!)

If you want to avoid random encounters, you can equip an item. I think it's the handmade scarf in Yakuza 2, probably the same for Yakuza although I can't remember. Or you can just run away too, they don't usually chase you outside of one screen. My problem with random encounters is when they stop all of a sudden! If you level too fast from doing too many side missions at once, you can level yourself out of random encounters which is a shame because I actually like them becasue I enjoy the fighting.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Womble.

Get them orders in, folks! Any news on the price? Ought to be budget at this stage.

£24.98 from Amazon UK and 40.99 Canadian dollars (£20.60) from DVD Box Office with free shipping. Just waiting for my Soul Calibur IV to ship from DVDBO so I can get some points for a further little discount :ph34r:

Hopefully we'll be seeing Yakuza 3 shortly after, around Christmas/New Year.

No none of those games (Kengo 3 / Fu-un Shinsengumi / Kenka Bancho) were translated unfortunately. I don't think they will be at this stage of the PS2s life either.

According to GameFAQs, Kengo 3 was released as Ninja Vs Samurai in Australia last year, no idea if it's a mistake by whoever submitted the information.

The story gets very silly, but the combat has been improved with being able to attack and counter in all directions. The load times are much better.

I am sorry but... silly? I played the first Yakuza quite a bit (didn't finish it though) and the story was really great...

I'm missing something, aren't I?

I am sorry but... silly? I played the first Yakuza quite a bit (didn't finish it though) and the story was really great...

I'm missing something, aren't I?

Well I was talking about Yakuza 2 when I said it was very silly, and it is. I don't want to spoil what happens. The first game has some silly parts too, like the huge feudal period castle that Hanaya has under Tokyo, but overall the story of Y1 is much better and more sensible than Yakuza 2. I don't want to spoil what happens in Y2 but there are a few moments that'll stretch any kind of believablity, even the kind of exaggerated video yakuza movie style of the first one. But gameplaywise, as I said, the combat is better and loading times are improved which really helps, if you liked Yakuza 1 you'll like Yakuza 2.

to mushashi re Kengo 3:

I hope that's true so more people can play the game, maybe the best Kengo, but when I searched on the internet about that title I couldn't find any box art or anything beyond people saying that they'd seen the name around various websites, so I'm doubtful. Samurai vs Ninja would be a rather strange title for it too but I'm sure if they thought it would help it sell they'd call it Sex vs Guns.

• 2 weeks later...

The original poster may want to change the topic title, Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! wasn't called Ryu ga Gotoku 3 for a reason :wacko:

Srider over at NeoGAF provided this translation from (I assume) a Famitsu magazine article:

So news are coming in from Japan, and details about Ryu ga Gotoku 3 have surfaced.

Since Kenzan is a spin-off of the Ryu ga Gotoku story, this is the official part 3 of the series. Development started right off the end of Kenzan, and seems like they are already a good ways in development as the target release date is set for spring next year (Spring 2009).

The game will be on PS3, and in addition to Kamuro-cho, Osaka, the game will also include Okinawa.

Kiryu Kazama will be the main character, of course. Main setting will again be kamuro-cho. All living characters from previous games such as Haruka and Majima will return.

Since the design of the game is intended to be synchronized with real life Japan, the 2 years that has passed since the release of RGG2 will be reflected in RGG3. Meaning that RGG3 will take place 2 years after the end of RGG2.

Nagoshi then talks about the reasons why he chose Okinawa. Listing how it gives off a healthy/lively vibe, ample amount of traditional Japanese culture, and a hint of international influence (gaijins). He also talks about how the Okinawa is a place often in the spotlight due to various reasons, in response to the comment that the international influence gives it more dramatic value. I'm guessing we'll see some western characters in RGG3, possibly some sub-plot involving Kiryu saving a girl from getting gang banged by gaijins or something...

Obviously there will be an all star cast for RGG3, most likely surpassing Kenzan. Negotiations are also underway for brand tie-ins, to include even more real life locations/stores/products than before. The focus is on using the Playstation 3's power to make the setting even more atmospheric, more real life-like.

The story will again be written around human drama, adding that the keyword this time is 人間臭さ (The human fault: Maybe other posters can interpret/translate this as well).

Nagoshi says in the end that he is approaching the development of this game as if he is nurturing something very important.

Masayoshi Kikuchi (Producer) has this to say about the game:

This is the first time a modern time Ryu ga Gotoku game is released for the Playstation 3. It will not fail the fans' expectations, so please continue to follow this game.

I took a holiday in Okinawa all by myself once and I've never in my life felt healthier than when I got back.

The original poster may want to change the topic title, Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! wasn't called Ryu ga Gotoku 3 for a reason :)

As you've just given us the welcome news about the new Yakuza returning home I think I'll just amend it. Kenzan is pretty much regarded as Y3, so I'd say the next one is number 4. :)

It's going to be a schmorgasbord of Yakuza over the next twelve months by the sound of it. 2 out in a few weeks, Kenzan soon to follow and then back to the future for the next one :P

Main page has updated but just to change into a kind of portal site for all four games before a big RGG3 reveal, nothing new on RGG3 yet.

I think the original news has maybe gotten a little jumbled too. I think Nagoshi said that Okinawa would be like Osaka in RGG2, as in another town that you visit that plays into the plot, rather than that the new game will feature Kamuro Okinawa AND Osaka.

You think? I'm saying that GTA IV wasn't good enough to eclipse every other third-person actioner this year.

As a great friend once said (and he was right): 'You won't be playing this rubbish when you've opened GTA.' He was talking about Way of the Samurai and Vice City; I'd deliberately put off buying the latter until the Christmas holiday.

I loved Way of the Samurai, but I thought Vice City got really boring really fast. The two games are not comparable at all though, with Way of the Samurai being an interactive take on Rashomon, and GTA being, well, about cars and shooting in a sandbox environment. I really can't imagine why you and your friend were making that comparison, it's like saying "you won't be playing Gran Turismo 5 when you've opened Crysis!" What does that have to do with this thread? Not much, but I loved the first Yakuza and I'm really looking forward to the two upcoming games.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much of an announcement but some cast members were announced on the official page. Tatsuya Fujiwara, the star of Battle Royale and Death Note, is joining the cast for Ryu Ga Gotoku 3, as is Jouji Takahashi, an older ex-singer and tv personality I'm not very familiar with. Also, if you check the official website, you can see that the scaffolding is starting to come down now, slowly revealing the gate of Kamuro-cho behind (you can just see the tip at the minute)

Sorry this news is a week old, I've been running around busy as a bee the past three weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

More casting news from the Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 website. Shigeru Izumiya and Shido Nakamura have been added. I don't know who Shigeru Izumiya is, but Shido Nakamura is a great actor. You might recognise him from the Jet Li movie Fearless, where he played the Japanese swordsman. He was also in Letters from Iwo Jima, Ping Pong, Neighbour No 13, and John Woo's new Red Cliff movie that came out this summer. He looks like this :

6_b.jpg

Anyway it's interesting. Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan also had a celebrity cast, but I'd say the cast of RGG3 is looking to be pretty classy too. Shows, I suppose, just how popular these games are in their home country. Oh also it was announced the other week on the site that the models from the gaudy girls fashion magazine Ageha will be appearing in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, everyone don't forget that Yakuza 2 is finally coming out in the UK in two more weeks.

More news from the official site about Yakuza 3. They are now running a competition to name one of the buildings in the game. The building is in Kamuro, and a map points out where abouts in Kamuro the building is. Anyway, the competition started running yesterday and will end Sunday midnight, Japanese time. The building named by fans will be featured in the game it seems, i.e it wont just be a sign in the background but some missions will take place there.

I went and found the building in Yakuza 2, it's a hotel up the street from the M corner shop near the top of the map, further up from Yoshida Batting Centre and on the other side of the street. It doesn't have a legible sign, so I guess that's the one. Here is the entry page for the competition complete with the map for finding the building.

http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/nwcampaign/index.html

I wonder if Kamuro will be larger in RGG3 or not? The map could be taken to say that it is. In RGG1 and 2, the area above the competition building is the edge of Kamuro, and blocked off. However this map shows white road space after that. I wonder if it's just design work for the red and white map theme or if there is something up there now?

Can't believe that Yakuza 2's out so soon. One of my most wanted games for fucking ages, now get Kenzan out over here too Sega pretty please!

For anyone looking to get the UK version of Yakuza 2 this seems to be the cheapest place at the minute:

<a href="http://www.powerplaydirect.com/asp/itemdet...amp;siteid=1065" target="_blank">http://www.powerplaydirect.com/asp/itemdet...amp;siteid=1065</a>

It is kind of amazing that it's finally coming out. The first game came out in the UK about 9 months after it came out in Japan. But as for Yakuza 2, I bought it on launch date in Japan nearly 2 years ago! But after the failure of the first game abroad, it's a wonder they released it in EU/US at all! Really, since all they are doing is changing the text and subtitling everything, they probably could have got it done in about five months if they wanted to, if they managed to do Yakuza 1 in 9 months with re-recording all the voice acting, using famous famous people. Still, good on Sega for actually bringing it across. I know there's a bunch of other quiet Yakuza fans out there and I'll bet everyone's happy to get to late rather than never!

Last night when I was looking for the competition building, I couldn't help but start a new game+ thing, and start playing again with my levelled up Kiryuu! It's great using end game skills and items, so that in early missions when wee guys that run the ice cream shop or whatever are being bothered by some thugs, you can just roll right up to them and knock them out in one counter headbutt! :wub:

Or one elbow to a tramps mouth.

08.jpg

oof.

First of all, everyone don't forget that Yakuza 2 is finally coming out in the UK in two more weeks.

Looking forward to this. Does anyone know if it will work on a PAL 60GB PS3? Yakuza 1 kept crashing and finally froze on the last chapter :)

Looking forward to this. Does anyone know if it will work on a PAL 60GB PS3? Yakuza 1 kept crashing and finally froze on the last chapter :)

From what I can gather that was fixed in Firmware 2.0 update ages ago. Don't take my word for it of course but I've read that in at least a few places where it works properly now so it may be worth a go and see if it still crashes.

As for Yakuza 2 I thought all new PS2 games were supposed to work with the backwards compatible PS3's now and that it was only older games that had trouble ?