IGNORED

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

This series - or I should say game as I'm only on the first one at the moment - has come as such a pleasant surprise to me. I passed it over when it first appeared, thinking it was yet another GTA clone. Enthusiastic talk on The 1Up Show encouraged me to give it a shot, but it played wonkily on my PS3 and I gave up after a short while.

For some reason recently I was tempted to try it again so I went ahead and ordered a US copy from VG+ and now I'm in love with it. I'm completely hooked into the world and the characters. Having what is essentially an action RPG set in a contemporary realistic location, as opposed to fantasy land or a sci-fi setting, is a huge breath of fresh air. The combat is so much fun that I happily wander about getting into fights, and although the visuals are most definitely 'last gen' there's a particular style about them that's really appealing. The riot of colour and the soft glow of the lighting play a big part, and the sound design is great too. Very immersive. I think the harshest criticism I can level at it is that the acting is incredibly hammy, but even that just adds to the fun:

Even whilst running through the streets some of the guys coming up to you were hilarious dubbed, 'what the FUCK!'

I love that bit! It's the high-pitched, incredulous tone that does it :)

I've already ordered the second one, ready to jump right in when I'm finished with the first. The prospect of a third chapter with visuals like that is a sure-fire reason to hold onto the PS3. I'm a few years late to the party but Yakuza has already shot to the higher levels of my favourites.

I had finished Chapter 9 (i think) and was just about to start the next Chapter, basically after the save for the next chapter it wont load up, obviously due to the dual layer burn. I think the last thing I did is (this is fucking shakeful, my memorys for bugger all)

I took out that traitor bastard Shindo and rescued Yayoi from him at the Tojo clan headquarters, her son then shot him and killed him. It also seems like Sengoku and Go-Ryu Club are working separately and not together so I've got some serious smackdown to lay down still. That's it so far from what I remember

The dubbing in the first game was very funny and over the top. Luckily Kazumas voice was pretty good, Mark Hamill was a good laugh as Majima as well. Even whilst running through the streets some of the guys coming up to you were hilarious dubbed, 'what the FUCK!'

Ah yeah, that is definitely the end of Chapter 9.

Shindo sure takes a beating. If I remember right, you have to smack him down about four times in that boss battle. He also carries on like a big jessie. The next chapter would have taken place half in Kamuro, and then back to Osaka. As for Sengoku gumi there is a part coming up regarding them that is...probably the silliest thing that ever happened in a previously semi-serious game, but I guess it's all pretty OTT anyway!

One of my favourite parts in the game was early on

I just love the cutscene where Kiryu gets bottled in the nightclub by one of the Goryu guys, and just turns around slowly like "What...the..fuck?". It's a small moment but definitely bad ass

Have you been doing the side missions and stuff?

Remember everyone that the UK version of Y2 is coming out this Friday!

Sabreman, this is definitely my favourite gaming series of recent times. I also don't like fantasy stuff and couldn't pick a setting I'd like more than 60s style yakuza films. The first game was so up my alley, and all the titles since have just kept up being solid great games, nevermind coming out every year. I'm sure if they pushed these games right they could become bigger hits in the West and I hope that's what they'll do with Yakuza 3. I also love getting into the random fights, in fact I keep an item equipped that forces more goons to appear on the street! But it helps that I'm fully levelled. Although, that reminds me, I still haven't beaten all levels of the fight club thing...sounds like a plan!

Ah yeah, that is definitely the end of Chapter 9.

Shindo sure takes a beating. If I remember right, you have to smack him down about four times in that boss battle. He also carries on like a big jessie. The next chapter would have taken place half in Kamuro, and then back to Osaka. As for Sengoku gumi there is a part coming up regarding them that is...probably the silliest thing that ever happened in a previously semi-serious game, but I guess it's all pretty OTT anyway!

One of my favourite parts in the game was early on

I just love the cutscene where Kiryu gets bottled in the nightclub by one of the Goryu guys, and just turns around slowly like "What...the..fuck?". It's a small moment but definitely bad ass

Have you been doing the side missions and stuff?

Remember everyone that the UK version of Y2 is coming out this Friday!

Sabreman, this is definitely my favourite gaming series of recent times. I also don't like fantasy stuff and couldn't pick a setting I'd like more than 60s style yakuza films. The first game was so up my alley, and all the titles since have just kept up being solid great games, nevermind coming out every year. I'm sure if they pushed these games right they could become bigger hits in the West and I hope that's what they'll do with Yakuza 3. I also love getting into the random fights, in fact I keep an item equipped that forces more goons to appear on the street! But it helps that I'm fully levelled. Although, that reminds me, I still haven't beaten all levels of the fight club thing...sounds like a plan!

Yeah you're right in regards to Chapter 9

Shindo really was a big girl, he just kept running and was quite easy to kick his ass even though he had a kitana. It was incredibly satisfying though as in each part of the fight there were things to use with my favourite being the garden statues in the final part of the fight :) I especially love the HEAT special moves you only get during 'boss fights' where you have to press R2 rapidly and then triangle to activate it at the right time. It was so incredibly satisfying to see Kazuma beat the ever living shit out of that scumbag. So incredibly brutal and visceral

That other little moment you talked about was badass, a real 'do you KNOW who you're fucking with ?' bit :(

As for side missions I've barely touched them, what stuff is there to do apart from

being a Host ? I've come across some strange old lady who kicks ass like a ninja and who messages me whenever she needs my help. Also, where the hell is the teacher guy who teaches you special moves ? I got a letter from him telling me he was in the east of Kurmurocho but I've no idea where he is, or do you just meet him gradually due to the story ?

I would agree with the setting being a big thing that adds to it as well. It's incredibly immersive and I find it very easy to get involved into the story, no matter how silly it may get. I quite like fantasy RPGs but I do prefer more modern day settings (or even futuristic settings) so things like Yakuza really appeal to me. Just like the new Parasite Eve game for PSP is another of one of my most wanted RPG's

Another thing that really adds to it is the sound design, the fights themselves are incredibly brutal sounding and exciting but the city itself is great too. Great atmosphere and it's great cranked up on the surround system.

Quite frankly I think it's fucking criminal the first one did so poorly in the West and I really hope the second one does better or at least enough to guarantee us the other games in the series at least. It does seem though that this is the big franchise that Sega have at the minute (at least in Japan). You get to know the characters and it's great to see them come back. Whilst I don't particularly want Sega to milk the franchise to death I do hope to see another 2 - 3 games in the series though they have to keep Kazuma as the hero, he rocks :wub:

If you walk around during the various chapters and speak to various people you'll often end up in a side quest. Most of them are introduced early on, and of course they are dependant on where you are in the game (most of them are after you are free to walk around anywhere, which is usually, what, after Chapter 5 or so?). There's quite a few (about 100) and some of them are quite funny and have their own cutscenes or dialogue. All naturally have their own dialogue and money or items to get. As for the one you mentioned,

The old lady missions are worth doing because she teaches you some mad pole skills, but some of what she wants you to do can't be done until quite late if I remember, so her final moves seem more useful for the end game / game+ replay really

The old guy you're looking for is

in the far east of the Kamuro map like he said. You know where Shallac is, the bar area? I think it's called Champion District or something. There's a road running south from there. A little alley runs off to the right from that south road into a square. In the first game, I think you fought some shitty gang there early on. Anyway thats where Komaki, the old teacher man, lives now. Just go up and talk to him to begin training in some pretty cool counter moves.

If you walk around during the various chapters and speak to various people you'll often end up in a side quest. Most of them are introduced early on, and of course they are dependant on where you are in the game (most of them are after you are free to walk around anywhere, which is usually, what, after Chapter 5 or so?). There's quite a few (about 100) and some of them are quite funny and have their own cutscenes or dialogue. All naturally have their own dialogue and money or items to get. As for the one you mentioned,

The old lady missions are worth doing because she teaches you some mad pole skills, but some of what she wants you to do can't be done until quite late if I remember, so her final moves seem more useful for the end game / game+ replay really

The old guy you're looking for is

in the far east of the Kamuro map like he said. You know where Shallac is, the bar area? I think it's called Champion District or something. There's a road running south from there. A little alley runs off to the right from that south road into a square. In the first game, I think you fought some shitty gang there early on. Anyway thats where Komaki, the old teacher man, lives now. Just go up and talk to him to begin training in some pretty cool counter moves.

Ah right then I have done some of them already, some being quite fun :)

that's cool about the old lady teaching you stuff, it's unfortunate that her missions are very vague in telling you where to go. I have one which says to meet her in a parking lot so far, fuck only knows where that is :( I'm sure I'll find it eventually. Ah yes Komaki that's the name, told you my memory's bad :wub: I'll find him once I get my retail disk and learn everything I can, really enjoyed his counters in the first game

Ah right then I have done some of them already, some being quite fun :)

that's cool about the old lady teaching you stuff, it's unfortunate that her missions are very vague in telling you where to go. I have one which says to meet her in a parking lot so far, fuck only knows where that is :( I'm sure I'll find it eventually. Ah yes Komaki that's the name, told you my memory's bad :wub: I'll find him once I get my retail disk and learn everything I can, really enjoyed his counters in the first game

The old lady is in

the second Osaka area called Shinsei. I can't remember from when in the story you get to go there. It's the seperate area in Osaka you have to go to by taxi with the tower. Across from the tower entrance is a parking lot, and the old woman is standing at the end of it as far as I remember

. My memory is equally bad, but yeah, once you get the retail, you'll be able to kick ass from early on. I'd recommend seeking out as many sub missions as you can before moving on in the story, because they really help you level up and sometimes give you useful items! It's just great someone else on muk has the game finally to talk about it! Come on everyone this Friday!

The old lady is in

the second Osaka area called Shinsei. I can't remember from when in the story you get to go there. It's the seperate area in Osaka you have to go to by taxi with the tower. Across from the tower entrance is a parking lot, and the old woman is standing at the end of it as far as I remember

. My memory is equally bad, but yeah, once you get the retail, you'll be able to kick ass from early on. I'd recommend seeking out as many sub missions as you can before moving on in the story, because they really help you level up and sometimes give you useful items! It's just great someone else on muk has the game finally to talk about it! Come on everyone this Friday!

Ah right, that's great, ta for that. I'll just have to wait until I get there again

Later on do you have

freedom to move about Kansai/Kuromurucho or do you just have to wait until the story takes you there ?

Christ almighty I wish my copy would hurry up and arrive, dying to play it some more! :)

Wow I nearly unlocked the drunken achievement on that last post...but yeah...

There are a few chapters where

you have freedom to move between Osaka and Kamuro, it's usually later on in the game. Certainly by the time of the last chapter, it kind of made clear (from what I can remember) that this is your last chance to clear shit up in Osaka. I think someone actually says this to you (Date?) in the Japanese version at least. Some of the side missions, like the one involving fighting some guys brother in the fight club, I still haven't beat on my third playthrough, just becauce of what it involves. But a lot of the other side missions you can get before the very end. It's funny to see a cab driver offer to drive you to Osaka (though in fairness they do kinda go WTF? in the Japanese version when you ask them to take you there)

Finally started Yakuza 2 tonight! Loving it, despite the fact that it still has all the same flaws as the first game. If the PS3 games are as... PSone as Y2 I'm not going to be a happy bunny.. Ah who am I kidding, I'll still be gay for them.. Just wish we could lose all the loading screens. And the giant pauses between camera angles. And the camera angles full stop.

..and then, just as I'm feeling a bit tired of those things.. Kazuma STAMPS the FUCK out of someone's FACE and all is forgiven :blink:

One question for those who know the Japanese: why, during the 'previously on Yakuza' bit in the graveyard, does Kiryu call his adopted father Kazuma in the audio, but Fuma in the subtitles? Confused the fuck out of me, I have to say.

Finally started Yakuza 2 tonight! Loving it, despite the fact that it still has all the same flaws as the first game. If the PS3 games are as... PSone as Y2 I'm not going to be a happy bunny.. Ah who am I kidding, I'll still be gay for them.. Just wish we could lose all the loading screens. And the giant pauses between camera angles. And the camera angles full stop.

..and then, just as I'm feeling a bit tired of those things.. Kazuma STAMPS the FUCK out of someone's FACE and all is forgiven <_<

One question for those who know the Japanese: why, during the 'previously on Yakuza' bit in the graveyard, does Kiryu call his adopted father Kazuma in the audio, but Fuma in the subtitles? Confused the fuck out of me, I have to say.

For reasons that only they know, they apparently changed the name of that character in the Western version of Yakuza 1 from Kazama to Fuma. In the Japanese version of Y1 and Y2 (and in 3, from the looks of some of the screenshots), he is called Shintaro Kazama. But the translators thought it best to call him Fuma. Maybe they thought people would get confused between Kiryu's first name, Kazuma, and this characters surname Kazama? That's my only guess that sort of makes sense.

They also changed the name of at least one other character, this one I really don't understand. In the Japanese versions, the shady ex-cop information peddler fat man dude is called Hanaya. But apparently in the Western version they called him Kage. I don't get this one at all, because it's not like Kage is particularly easier to say than Hanaya, and there isn't another character I can think of with a name that sounds like Hanaya. Only the translator knows, I suppose.

It raises a bit of a question as to what they are going to do in Y2. Because there is a side mission based around the fact/misunderstanding that Hanaya also means flower shop. I guess they'll come up with some other contrived translation, but it would have been better to just leave it alone in the first place.

Glad you got the game dood! Keep on smashing faces!

From the minute I took a neon sign, smashed it over a goons head, swung it around a few times(with the goons head still stuck in it) and then launched him into a wall I knew this game was for me.

Amusingly, I reviewed the first Yakuza and said it was probably one of the last great PS2 games. Two years on and the thing is still going.

It raises a bit of a question as to what they are going to do in Y2. Because there is a side mission based around the fact/misunderstanding that Hanaya also means flower shop. I guess they'll come up with some other contrived translation, but it would have been better to just leave it alone in the first place.

I guess they'll have to go AWOL on the translation for that bit, unless they call him Mr Flower Shop.

Bah, fucking royal mail, my US copy still hasn't arrived. Nearly went out and bought the PAL one today :ph34r:

For anyone who's tried the Kenzan demo on PSN, where abouts is it (as in which section) ? Or has it been removed ?

As far as I can tell, the Kenzan demos have been removed from the Japanese store. They have a dicky habit of doing this.

It's miles better than the first game.

It's kinda surprising, considering it came out - what - a year after the original in Japan? I guess all those facades which should've been so much more the first time round, like the batting cage and the arcades, were always meant to be mini-games - and that they are in 2 makes ALL the difference. Seriously, I find myself struggling to make time for it all.

It's awesome. Combat's still a bit shonky and the QTE stuff is really unforgiving, but the story's much more grounded in reality this time round, and the localisation job, although still a bit iffy, beats an uninterested american voice cast any day of the week. Really, I don't know why anyone would go back to the original, because it pales in comparison to this.

It's miles better than the first game.

It's kinda surprising, considering it came out - what - a year after the original in Japan? I guess all those facades which should've been so much more the first time round, like the batting cage and the arcades, were always meant to be mini-games - and that they are in 2 makes ALL the difference. Seriously, I find myself struggling to make time for it all.

It's awesome. Combat's still a bit shonky and the QTE stuff is really unforgiving, but the story's much more grounded in reality this time round, and the localisation job, although still a bit iffy, beats an uninterested american voice cast any day of the week. Really, I don't know why anyone would go back to the original, because it pales in comparison to this.

Yeah it came out one year after the original in Japan. I don't know about "the story's much more grounded in reality this time around" though. I think you'll see as it goes on that it gets pretty silly. And the batting cage and arcades did have mini-games in the first game! But yes, apart from the story, I think the second game improves on the first one in a whole bunch of small but important ways, little tweaks to the loading and fight system that I felt made a big difference.

Yeah it came out one year after the original in Japan. I don't know about "the story's much more grounded in reality this time around" though. I think you'll see as it goes on that it gets pretty silly. And the batting cage and arcades did have mini-games in the first game! But yes, apart from the story, I think the second game improves on the first one in a whole bunch of small but important ways, little tweaks to the loading and fight system that I felt made a big difference.

I played all the way through the first, and never realised you could actually play a mini-game at the batting cage. I must've assumed that because nearly everything other activity in the game fell so woefully short of expectation that the batting center would too - that, or the game didn't make it obvious. Still, all the arcade's had were UFO catchers, which are about as much fun here as they are in real life, but now, they've got VF6, which is actually pretty fun.

I'm up to Chapter 10, and so far, the narrative's been remarkably restrained. I do hope it doesn't take a nose-dive later on, but by this point in the first game, I'd already had my fill of fantastical events. And again, the lack of a rubbish western voice cast is a welcome change, even if Sega probably think otherwise.

It looks much better too. The first game was a little rough around the edges by comparison, and I've seen some really gorgeous scenery, mostly in Kansai. The big strobing bottle on the side of the building is particularly good-looking.

Do I really have to learn and play Shogi before I can progress?

EDIT: Turns out the answer is "no". Still, it set me back a good 80,000 yen to get the info I needed.

The game keeps on getting bigger. I got back into Kansai just a couple of hours ago, and now I'm mooching around a previously cordoned-off area. It's not too big right now, but it bodes well for the rest of the game (the original became very tedious, very quickly). So compared to the original, it's huge, and there's loads more to do. Seriously, anyone in two minds about getting it should give it a go. It's £15 on play.com, £20 in the shops, and by all accounts, neither outlet's exactly swimming in copies (play.com are temporarily sold out).

I played all the way through the first, and never realised you could actually play a mini-game at the batting cage. I must've assumed that because nearly everything other activity in the game fell so woefully short of expectation that the batting center would too - that, or the game didn't make it obvious. Still, all the arcade's had were UFO catchers, which are about as much fun here as they are in real life, but now, they've got VF6, which is actually pretty fun.

I'm up to Chapter 10, and so far, the narrative's been remarkably restrained. I do hope it doesn't take a nose-dive later on, but by this point in the first game, I'd already had my fill of fantastical events. And again, the lack of a rubbish western voice cast is a welcome change, even if Sega probably think otherwise.

It looks much better too. The first game was a little rough around the edges by comparison, and I've seen some really gorgeous scenery, mostly in Kansai. The big strobing bottle on the side of the building is particularly good-looking.

Yeah, I think because a few story events happened at the batting cages in the first game, it might not have been so obvious you could play there. But yeah this time there is a lot more to do, bowling and golf, mahjong and shogi, being a host and running a club, VF6, hopefully the new game will have even more that we'll see at TGS!

Sorry to say that yeah it was Chapter 12 where the game goes pretty crazy. Although I wasn't impressed with some other parts like

the end of Chapter 6 with the two Kazuki's

that kind of stuff is probably just as daft as the first one, if less well explained or developed.

It does look better, I think. I love the big crab! And some of the heat actions in Y2 still make me burst out laughing, nearly two years down the line. I'm particularly fond of the one where you can pick up some spidey thug by the ankles and hoof him into a car windshield.

And it's only £20, Preacher?! Right, everyone you have no excuse now not to pick it up at those kinds of prices!

I posted this in ATF

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=192772

But maybe this is the best place to ask these questions

Which is the best version of Yakuza to buy PAL or NTSC US does either version have progscan?

Does the save data from the first game get carried over into the second?

Do both games work with BC on a PAL PS3 (60GB)

Also how long does a play through take approx for each game?

I posted this in ATF

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=192772

But maybe this is the best place to ask these questions

Which is the best version of Yakuza to buy PAL or NTSC US does either version have progscan?

Does the save data from the first game get carried over into the second?

Do both games work with BC on a PAL PS3 (60GB)

Also how long does a play through take approx for each game?

BC is region locked so you will need the PAL version on a PAL PS3. It seems to work but I haven't finished it yet - Yakuza 1 freezes on the last chapter.

BC is region locked so you will need the PAL version on a PAL PS3. It seems to work but I haven't finished it yet - Yakuza 1 freezes on the last chapter.

Yeah I know that - however the fact it crashes means I'll be playing it on the PS2 native anyway! £15 from amazon and 29.99 for the second one seems like a good option!

Save data doesn't get carried over as far as I can remember, you don't gain anything from having played the first game before the second beyond knowing the background story.

Play through time really depends on how many of the side quests you do. If you don't do any, you could probably do it in 10 hours. If you do most of them, it would probably take around 40-50 hours. The main quests, side missions excluded, are about the same length in both games, with Y1 being a little longer.

Bought the PAL version of this yesterday though I'm waiting for my US copy to arrive still so I can continue my save. I really hope it's sitting there on the mat when I get home, I really can't wait to get into the rest of it.

As for length I played the first game for about 20 hours or so and I expect to get the same from this one. I enjoy doing some side missions/side events but my attention span is quite poor at times and I tend to get a bit bored and just contine doing the story. It doesn't help that a few of the side quests don't specifically tell you where to go to complete them, just a random location such as a parking lot. That's not really the fault of the game but as I said, bad attention span on my part.

My Yakuza 2 arrived today from VG+, which is good timing because it feels like I'm almost at the end of the first.

I finally found my way to a roundhouse kick which has helped a lot in the group fight situations. If I have one strong criticism of the fighting system, it's the way enemies can counterattack during your combo but you can't during theirs. Or being locked into a combo that gets blocked halfway, leaving you vulnerable. I had a very frustrating fight against a guy with a tazer, which amounted to me repeatedly getting a couple of hits in before being countered and stunned. Regardless of that I still find the combat loads of fun and I never tire of it.

The quest log could be a lot more user-friendly. I had a quest in my list called 'Purse Snatcher' for hours, until I randomly chanced upon the guy I needed to find in a parkling lot (I'd only gone there as part of the main quest). I have another one called 'Little Match Girl' that was started by buying some matches off a woman in the street, but that's all the info you get. Even a simple sentence reminding me where a quest originated would be useful.

Those are the most minor niggles. Everything else about the game has been so much fun, and it's rare that I'm so thoroughly captivated and entertained by a gameworld and characters. If Yakuza 2 is only more of the same I can see the series taking a firm place among my all-time favourites.

Are the technical specs on the PAL version same as the U/NTSC version for this? Progressive scan (if available) and 60hz option?

There's definitely a 60Hz option on the PAL version though I don't know if there's progressive scan. There's nothing when you start the game or in the options menu. There was nothing in the US version either unless there's some button combination hidden away to activate it.