All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced

womblingfree

Out of interest blunt, what are you basing your 2011 estimate on? Given that it's still down as Spring 2009 for Japan and how the first game took roughly a year to turn up in the west (which shouldn't even suggest it took that long to localise), I can't see why 3 would take nearly two years to localise. I'd wager that Yakuza 2 only took 2 years to show up in the west because the big wigs at Sega didn't see the point - until they saw Yakuza 3 in action, that is.

EDIT: Ah, you are basing your estimate on Yakuza 2. Seriously, it's not going to take 2 years to localise, dude.

It will be out else where a damn sight earlier than you local GAME outlet.

The differences between the releases of English versions in the US and in the UK has been about a week's difference in the case of both Yakuza 1 and 2. Both games did not release an earlier English version anywhere else. Kenzan has no English version either.

GAF has the gifs going

Texting demon

http://i35.tinypic.com/2q8dpao.gif

The cigarette take down. Oh, get it stitched!

http://i37.tinypic.com/2prur85.gif

EDIT: Ah, you are basing your estimate on Yakuza 2. Seriously, it's not going to take 2 years to localise, dude.

Oh, I certainly hope so. I think Sabreman has a point, by now Sega has to realise that there is some following for the series in the West, even if it's never gonna have the kind of sales it has in Japan. If they hadn't, we probably wouldn't have even seen a release for 2. So the 2011 bit was just conscious pessimism on my part. That said, I'll be a lot more optimistic about the whole deal when we get a release date for Kenzan.

Although they said they would release Kenzan in the West (they mentioned it at the same time they mentioned they would be releasing Y2) I think it's possible they might just not bother, and go straight to Y3. It would cause less confusion, would compete better (graphically etc) with other games released at the time, and is probably the best way to reintroduce the franchise into the new gen for Western gamers. I think a Christmas 2009 Yakuza 3 would do better than, say, a Summer 2009 Kenzan.

I've finally watched the trailers/gameplay footage and I think I've soaked my seat! Come the fuck on Sega, get that bitch translated NOW and don't be fucking around. Thank you.

Although they said they would release Kenzan in the West (they mentioned it at the same time they mentioned they would be releasing Y2) I think it's possible they might just not bother, and go straight to Y3. It would cause less confusion, would compete better (graphically etc) with other games released at the time, and is probably the best way to reintroduce the franchise into the new gen for Western gamers. I think a Christmas 2009 Yakuza 3 would do better than, say, a Summer 2009 Kenzan.

Now now don't be mean Kinketsu, we WILL get Kenzan or I'll fly to Japan to personally beat some executives heads Kazuma style :P

I think it will definitely get released but they might release it under a different name, and keep the Yakuza series separately.

Question

If I play Yakuza 2 is there anyway Ill know whats going on?

I only have PS3 and im not buying a PS2 just for the orginal. The trailer was fantastic and I would like to be ready for when number 3 arrives!

Just noticed this on Gametrailers

Extended Presentation 20 minutes long!

Unfortunately some maroon's got his fucking head in the way of the bottom a bit, but it's still very watchable. In fact, I'm watching it now!

very nice indeed - I've just started the first game and it appears that all the locations int he vid are very familiar - Am I right in assuming that this game is a prequel?

Just noticed this on Gametrailers

Extended Presentation 20 minutes long!

Unfortunately some maroon's got his fucking head in the way of the bottom a bit, but it's still very watchable. In fact, I'm watching it now!

Holy shit!

The PS3 has some impressive looking games already, but none sold the machine to me. This just did.

The only thing that really sucks about it is that we probably have to wait so damn long before we can get our grubby little hands on it.

Want!

I think it says a lot that, despite not having played a Yakuza game before, I watched all of that. It looked like a modern, less po-faced Shenmue, and I want to be playing it right now.

Pre-order pre-ordered. Well, if I could; make it so, Sega!

You could always play the first 2 :blink:

Which reminds me... I really do need to go back to the first and complete it.

Holy shit!

The PS3 has some impressive looking games already, but none sold the machine to me. This just did.

The only thing that really sucks about it is that we probably have to wait so damn long before we can get our grubby little hands on it.

Want!

You're not the only one; I showed the trailer to a friend of mine who was already thinking about maybe buying one for Wipeout HD, but had decided that Wipeout alone wasn't enough to justify the purchase. After seeing the Yakuza 3 gameplay trailer however, he went out and bought a PS3 yesterday - the trailer alone was all the justification he needed even if the game is still ages away.

Wow :blink: It's kind of amazing the response that this trailer is getting from non-Yakuza fans and even non-PS3 owners. Not just here but on a lot of forums and websites. Hopefully Sega gets wind of the reaction and fast-tracks the translation! But yeah, joiinnnnnn ussss!

By the way everyone, remember this is only day two of four days of Yakuza 3 news. The third day (and first public day) will kick off in a few hours, hopefully we'll get even more big Yakuza info. Nagoshi hinted on his blog and in the podcasts that there was a lot to show / announce at TGS.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - I hope Sega is aware of the extremely positive reactions from Western journos and gamers, and how much attention their game is suddenly getting, which hopefully makes them speed up the localization and also bring out Kenzan! over here.

So in Y2, is there a quicker way of killing Hasayana (Hashama?) in the basement? I mean, I did it on my second go, but what did he have - about 10 health bars or something? Took me ages.

Hiroshi Hayashi? The guy with the two poles? Like a lot of the bosses and tougher enemies, it's best not to follow your combos all the way to the end. Keep an eye on when he's going to attack to do the side step or block. You can also grab him and pound on him, this is probably the best thing to do most of the time, even if it's a bit boring. You can hammer away on his head, following the attack string through to knocking him on his arse, you just can't throw him unless you have the special throwing belt (again sorry I don't know what this is called in the Western version, it might be the same as the Japanese one, the Acala belt).

It's really just a lot of dodging, grabbing him and punching him in the face, and smacking his head against the wall / picking him up by the legs and throwing him into the fence. Actually as far as I can remember, this doesn't take as much energy off him so the best head action is the face + wall one. I guess this is how you beat him the second time.

There's no trick to it like getting him to punch a generator or anything. It is a bit of a drag of a boss battle, I'll admit. He was much easier in the first game, I thought.

Yeah that's more or less how I beat him. Took a good while, maybe 10-15 minutes. Out of all the combo chains, punches etc that you can do the best one is just the vanilla triangle kick to the balls, and even that doesn't take that much off. I got the head slam QTE a couple of times too, but not that holding the legs one. I was so convinced there had to have been a environment context move, I kept luring him over to that stream of intense steam that is blocking your exit.

I had set my self the mini goal of seeing how long I could go without levelling up, had 100 yellow bars when I came to fight him, but unfortunately I was grossly unequipped for health items in my (single) save slot, silly hughes. I ended up upgrading my health bar many, many times just to get a wee health boost. I shouldn't complain really because I walked out of that fight with a foot long health bar. :angry:

Still not as big as Hayashi's though.

The feet throw Heat Action is caused by you having a full heat meter and standing around the legs of a guy on the floor. Then a button command will pop up and you'll be able to pick people up by the ankles and throw them. I only say this because it's key to seeing my favourite heat action, when you pick someone up and throw them into a car. In this battle against Hayashi, yeah head slams are probably best! They take off the most damage.

Finally started Y2 yesterday morning.

Delighted to have a JPN language track on this one but why did the translation team assume the most natural tone for a Yakuza adaptation is a small-time Noo Joisey mob story? 'Quit flappin yer yap' and all the rest of it, yeesh.

Lovely stuff so far though, reacquainting myself with the clunky combat system and finding my way around Osaka...the 360's off to Germany on holiday this week so I'm fucking glad I picked this up the other day.

My Asda £12 copy of this arrived yesterday.

So only put in about 1hr 30 yesterday night. Which was enough to see me through the movie detailing Yakuza story, and completing Chapter 1.

First impressions where, my god theres so many characters, I aint gonna have a clue who is who. But IMO the backstory video in the Cemetary, filled in the details and characters exceptionally well. To the point I now regret not experiencing Yakuza.

Think the graphics are decent enough upscaled on the PS3, and the actual combat gameplay enjoyable during my brief time with the game. I did enjoy smacking heads into walls in the alley. I did miss my chance to take the boss down with the Triangle attack after pressing R2. So I may reload that battle and do it again to see what I missed. Roughly how long to complete this then? If I aim to do all sidequests as well?