All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced

womblingfree

But those who want to play an RPG will buy FFXIII and not Yakuza 3.

It's an RPG with a real-time, non stat-based fighting system. Apart from that all the elements of an RPG are there; character development, leveling up, item management, trading, talking to everyone in the town, sidequests, expansive storyline.

I want to play an RPG. I want Yakuza 3! :o

It is a bloody action RPG, you wonder around a map, (usually avoidable) battles occur and you level up your character. What makes it different from the standard notion of an RPG is the realtime punching people into walls/the floor/a nearby pillar element :o and the map happens to be a 3D realtime rendered version of a real world location.

I'm really looking forward to coming home, grabbing my PS2, taking it back to London and playing the original all day long instead of getting a job. Bought it just before leaving the country so didn't get a chance to get into it, but it was really fun from what I remember.

Might even buy Yakuza 2. Weee!!!

So if I've never played a Yakuza game before will I understand what's going on? It's a series I've always been interested in, but never bought the original, and did 2 even get released outside Japan?

Looking it up on Wikipedia I also noticed Takeshi Miike directed a movie based on the first game. :)

There are recaps of both games, so it's not necessary. 3 feels a lot like a love letter to the first game in places but not having played it won't hinder your ability to enjoy it, though I would recommend it if you have the time as it's great (quite short too). There are nods to the second game but they're infrequent.

A lot of people dislike the film but I loved it; really captures some of the absurdity of the game and the characters. 3 takes the ridiculousness of the heat actions to ever more awesome levels.

Amazing demo. So many lol's and so much fun. Caught the drunk bloke groping the schoolgirls boobs on camera. Then posted about it on my blog.

Headed to the arcade for a bit and had some fun in there. Of course taking down any punks that disrespected me. Then the Karaoke. well Its worth it for that alone. I was loling hard at Kazuma's singing.

Pre-ordered. now to finish Yakuza 2.

As others have observed - this looks pretty rough, and "archaic" is definitely the word. I have a memory of the first game being pretty slick.. rose-tinted memories?

It's still pretty fun though, and the Karaoke is hilariously funny.

And then it crashed on me, when I duffed up the last of the street punks after doing Karaoke - graphics froze on the animation for finishing the fight, but the music carried on. Couldn't get into the XMB so had to just turn it off. Balls.

• Uzi changed the title to All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced