IGNORED

All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced

womblingfree

Sounds like a typical problem with PS3's using software emulation rather than the full PS2 chipset. Anything other than a launch US/Jpn model has these hiccups sometimes.

You can check for compatibility here:

<a href="http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus" target="_blank">http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus</a>

This clip of the meditation in Kenzan to cool down your libido looks great. GuitarooMan with hard-ons.

Huge News Day, motherhubbards!

The first shots of Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 turned up today in a magazine. Graphics are f_shockm_94cc21b.gif

Gamekyo's got the scans.

In them we can see:

Kiryu looking amazing. The graphics engine is even better than the Kenzan one.

Haruka, now 12 years old.

Kamuro, redone, looks amazing.

Okinawa, suitably sun-bleached.

Tatsuya Fujiwara's character is called Rikiya Shimabukuro and looks like an Okinawan hood.

Lots of characters are returning. You can see Majima and Date in one picture. Daigo Dojima from Yakuza 2 returns.

Actor Tetsuya Watari is also shown, listed as a "mysterious man". Watari played Shintaro Kazama in the first two games, so I guess there will be more flashbacks involving him.

Well hyped for this now!

f_kiryu3m_6f81ead.jpg

"Lo, I'm back to beat up more fat people and tramps"

Still no information on the spin off game Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan coming out in the West anytime soon, although I think Sega did they they were going to bring it out eventually. It was released in Japan in March. Considering it took them just shy of 2 years to translate and release Yakuza 2, I wouldn't expect Kenzan in the UK before Christmas 2009. This one, Ryu Ga Gotoku 3, will be out in Japan in Spring 2009.

72601420080910_082836_0_big.jpg

72601420080910_082836_1_big.jpg

72601420080910_083856_0_big.jpg

Does Yakuza 2 come on 2 dvd-5's or on 1 dvd-9 ?

I read somewhere that the japanese version was on 2 dvd-5's and that the american one supposedly came on one dvd-9 disk. This wasn't confirmed so I'm assuming it's still 2 dvds.

I really wish it was next friday already so I could play this bloody thing!

The original Japanese release of Yakuza 2 that I bought first came on two DVDs. But when I got the budget re-release 'The Best' version later, it was on one DVD. I imagine the UK one will also be on one DVD. There wasn't much reason for the game being on 2 DVDs in the first place.

The original Japanese release of Yakuza 2 that I bought first came on two DVDs. But when I got the budget re-release 'The Best' version later, it was on one DVD.

Was the budget version redone on a DVD9 then? unless it was some bizarre Neo-Geo-style uncompressed game originally (or a whole lot of duplicated content), it seems a bit difficult to fit 2 discs worth of content onto a single disc of the same capacity :)

Now they've got the engine fully developed, a sequel to Shenmue using it would be lovely (yeah, wishful thinking :D ), considering they spent $20 million on the first Ryu Ga Gotoku.

Was the budget version redone on a DVD9 then? unless it was some bizarre Neo-Geo-style uncompressed game originally (or a whole lot of duplicated content), it seems a bit difficult to fit 2 discs worth of content onto a single disc of the same capacity :)

Maybe, I'm not sure how to tell if something is a DVD9. It doesn't say DVD9 anywhere on the box or on the disc. Regardless, it is all on one disc. Yakuza 2 is about the same length as Yakuza 1. It has another (smaller) city, but the original 2-disc version didn't make you change discs to go to Osaka or anything like that, it just randomly asked you to do so about 2/3s of the way through the game. I imagine the problem was cutscenes, in which case they might have fit it onto one disc by compressing those, although I can't say I noticed. Most likely though it is a DVD9, I just don't know how to tell.

Basically a dvd-5 is 4.4gigs maximum space capacity whilst a dvd-9 is around 8 gigs maximum capacity. So you just stick the dvd in your pc drive, right click on it and go to properties to see what size it is. If it's over 4.4gigs it's a dvd-9 as it's dual layered then.

The size doesn't make much sense, if you used dvddecrypter or some other program which allows you to make ISO images, that should give you the exact size of the disc as I'm not sure windows is that trustworthy with telling you the size of dual-layered discs (which is what I'd guess the single disc budget version was).

I'm sorry I don't have that program. But that's what it told me in Windows. As I said before, I don't have too much trouble believing it, because I couldn't understand when playing RGG2 why it was on two discs in the first place since :

It's the same length as the first game.

It uses the same engine and indeed most of the same locations from the first game, which was on one disc.

It didn't use the second disc for something specific (like say, had Osaka stored on there or something. All new locations appear on the first disc)

However most likely it is a DVD9, even if windows can't pick up on it. Regardless, I was glad they put it together on one disc and eliminated the needless swap, so it's good news if the Western version is the same. We've got all this great new information about RGG3 and we're talking disc space on RGG2! :)

(By the way, The Best version does come with another disc, but it's not a game disc, it's a DVD with videos of Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan on it. I wonder if the Western release will have one with ads for Kenzan or RGG3? We might learn a bit more about the UK release of Kenzan if it does...)

Also, if anyone has any troube getting on in Yakuza 2, give a shout in this thread. I also recommend you check out the Yakuza 2 walkthrough on GameFAQS as well. I've spoken a few times with the guy who wrote it, ThePatrick, and the guide itself is very good and accurate. He's used a lot of information from Japanese fan groups etc and made a very solid guide. Of course, he wrote the guide for the Japanese version, so I don't know how it works with the random names they've changed for Y2, but it's really solid and I gave a few hints toward it myself.

More news and antics! The series website has updated with a new podcast series! The series is called Kamuro-cho Radio Station. It actually features the voice actors for Kiryu and Majima.

In this first episode, they do a little intro that's semi in character, although I think Majima's actor Hidenari Ugaki is laying it on a bit thick. After that they talk a bit more normally and introduce some cat called Yokoyama, who apparently is the scenario writer and also oversaw work on the voice acting and motion capture etc. So I guess he's a sort of associate producery type role. Kiryu mentions that he and Majima didn't record their work together (and always don't), so he asks Majima about his experiences working with Yokoyama (who is sat right there). Majima says that at the start he was very gentle, even though Yokuyama looks like a scary older brother, but as the work went on... Kiryu basically just agrees with him, especially on the scary part.

Kiryu asks Yokoyama, who scripted the game (I assume the story was still by Hase Seishu like the last ones), if he could tell people a bit about the story writing process and the story. Yokoyama basically says he worked with the two senior producers to try and bring everyone's feelings together in the script. There's really not much in the way of news, so I'll just skip over the rest, which goes back to talking about their work as voice actors and what they bring to their characters, blah blah. Majima comes off more and more as a bit of a twat. He and Yokoyama mention that in coming up with Majima's unique way of talking, they start with a Kansai accent, and exaggerate and twist it till he sounds like he does. I kind of fast forwarded a bit but I was pretty surprised when they did an "adult advice" section about half way through! That is, not like sex tips, but kind of agony aunt stuff for 'grown up' issues. Seriously, what the fuck? Of course, since it's the first podcast, all the issues were provided by the podcast staff. Couldn't really follow the first one very well but it seemed to be about a drinking problem. What do you reckon, talking about Nagoshi by any chance? :( Either way pretty dull.

Finally the last segment is called, wait for it, Nagoshi's Bar! In this section Nagoshi and another dude talk about the casting for the game and all the big names they've got for it, and big themselves up a bit. They also touch on the 6 page spread in Famitsu this week about the game, the scans of which are on the top of this page. Nagoshi says that you can get a feel for the direction of the story by reading that article. Then, he wraps it up! He must have spoken for about 4 or 5 minutes!

Kiryu and Majima come back, ask for your emails and questions, then finish up.

While I like the idea of them doing a podcast for the game very much, especially with at least another 6 months to go until release, I have to say I thought this one was pretty bad. Of course hearing Kiryu present it was pretty cool, but having actors do it means they mostly want to talk about acting. What will they do in later episodes when they've said all that? Plus they had this Yokoyama guy there, but we didn't really hear much about his job, or any interesting tidbits either related to the previous games or something about the new one. I would have liked to have heard more specifically about RGG3 itself. Only really Nagoshi focused on the new game in his section, and even then kind of rounded up the last few weeks worth of news.

I'd give this podcast a C- boys. Must do better.

EDIT : Also someone on GameFAQs noticed that 1up updated about the game a few days ago. Here is a link to the slighty Y2 spoilery article and a few choice quotes, essentially their translation of some things Nagoshi said in the Famitsu issue. I'll just add it on to the end of this post, since it's already pretty long and I doubt many people have checked it yet.

DOUBLE EDIT : The first quote probably gave away too much for people yet to through Y2, so I've cut it out.

The article says he is running a centre for orphans which makes sense since he and Haruka are both orphans. He also raises money for his old orphange in Y2.

His care facility is on land owned by Shigeru Nakahara, boss of the local Ryudo Ikka mob, and Nakahara's under intense pressure from both resort developers and the US government (who wants to expand their base on the island) to sell the acreage for big bucks. Kiryu has allies within Ryudo Ikka, but it's still an uphill battle -- and it's one that takes a turn for the intense when twin shootings in Okinawa and Tokyo make the struggle a little too personal for him. It isn't long before Kiryu is kicking ass and taking names in both cities, though how the plot proceeds from here is still a mystery.

I knew if part of it was set in Okinawa that we'd have to get the Americans involved somehow. It seemed in some of the scans above, you could see Okinawans protesting about the Americans. Now one of the more interesting parts.

This may not be the best way to put it, but I don't want readers to think they know everything about the potential of this game from this [information] alone," he told Famitsu. There's a lot of material left to cover, and a lot of the impact is lost in screenshots. That's why I want people to come [to TGS] and experience Yakuza 3 for themselves. We'll have a big announcement in store, and I'll make sure you don't regret it!"

Hmmm. A lot is lost in screenshots, eh? So we'll get a trailer at least. But the big announcement? I wonder what that could be? A new gameplay mechanic? Or a third city? Innnnnnnnnnnnteresting!

Sorry this post is so long, everyone

I knew if part of it was set in Okinawa that we'd have to get the Americans involved somehow. It seemed in some of the scans above, you could see Okinawans protesting about the Americans.

I like the sound of all that. I'm presuming there'll be a fair few bar-room brawls with American GI's trying it on with reluctant school girls. Face stomp a go-go!

Those Yakuza 3 screenshots look a lot more detailed than Kenzan. Only a year or two to wait then.

On another note, my Yakuza 2 has apparently shipped from DVDBO. :(

I like the sound of all that. I'm presuming there'll be a fair few bar-room brawls with American GI's trying it on with reluctant school girls. Face stomp a go-go!

Those Yakuza 3 screenshots look a lot more detailed than Kenzan. Only a year or two to wait then.

On another note, my Yakuza 2 has apparently shipped from DVDBO. :huh:

Yeah, especially with Kiryu now looking after orphans, it seems a situation in which some soldiers are bothering a school girl is almost bound to turn up. I also think the graphics are better than Kenzan. Kenzan had great character models (as did Y1 and 2 for PS2 games) but this seems a step up again. Really can't wait for TGS. Someone on a Japanese forum said a point I hadn't really thought of. If the big announcement is a third, American city (given the storyline) then the game could be coming out in the West much earlier than imagined. Of course, it's just wishful thinking that we might see it before Christmas 2010.

Yeah exactly as Djx said, Yakuza 2 has a full recap, and quite a good one, of the first game right at the very start so if you haven't played the first one it won't be a problem. Plus, the story of Y2 does not cross over into Y1 very much. You will get more out of the story if you've played Y1, because some characters have changed quite a lot, but if you never played it you wont miss out anything important thanks to the optional recap. Which makes me wonder why more sequel games don't have this feature!

Further up in the information from 1Up translated from Famitsu, they mentioned a Shigeru Nakahara who is one of the gang bosses of Okinawa and seems to be behind the plot near the start. If you were wondering which member of the cast photo scans above is Nakahara (a new character) I seperated him out. As good as I can tell from the scan (where you can only read a "...hara Shigeru") this is him.

f_nakaharam_50c82f1.jpg

Being incredibly impatient I couldn't wait for my Yakuza 2 to arrive from VG+ (hurry up and arrive!) so I did a shameful thing and got the yarr version and started on it for the meantime. About 10 hours in it's obviously reached the dual layer part (cant open the files on the second layer I guess, just a dvd-9 disk burnt, for anyone interested its just under 8gigs in size) so I have to wait for the proper version to arrive before I can finish it. No complaining here, that'll fucking teach me to be far too impatient.

It is a stonkingly brilliant game though, loving the story and Kazuma really is a badass motherfucker. The best thing so far is that the script isn't like the 80's anime 'fuckity fuck' translation that the first one had. Sure there's swearing but it isn't every other word. Plus actually hearing the story in japanese is great, as it obviously suits the story more. The fighting's just as viscerally violent as the first one and incredibly satisfying, adding in a simple 'turn and hit someone behind you' move does wonders. I honestly don't know where the story is going to go which is also a plus, I have an idea but you just don't know.

I'm tempted to buy the PAL version as well as the NTSC one I have on the way simply to support it in Europe also. I really really hope Sega get their arse in gear and release Kenzan sooner rather than later. It's easily become one of my top rated series and I cannot wait for Kenzan and Yakuza 3 (and of course to finish Yakuza 2). Make it so Sega, please!

Sounds awesome :) .Hope my copy turns up soon.How are the visuals and loading times in comparison to the original?

The graphics are about the same as the first one, maybe slightly better, the improvements I notice seem to be more in the fighting. As for load times Kinketsu would probably better for that as I was just running a shitty burnt dvd-9 so I wouldn't take information from that as solid. It did seem about the same as the first game (if those load times are representative)

Hey Mr Woo! How far did you get up to? You can throw it in spoiler tags if you like. Yeah it really is a great game. I never heard the dub on the first game, but I saw some youtube videos and it looked lolsome (like the "step da fuck up!" they're always going on about over at GAF). Kiryu's voice is quite cool and the games are lipsynched somewhat to the original acting, so it seems a shame they dubbed it in the first place. The story, I have to say I prefer the first game, the second is pretty wild.

Kinhshrew, in the JP version of the game, the loading times are much better than the original game (though they haven't vanished completely). The visuals were more or less the same I felt, great character models, nice atmosphere in the levels but naturally some pretty lo-res textures.

Like Mr Woo, I hope they hurry up with the Western versions of Kenzan and 3. I know a year or so ago, they mentioned releasing Kenzan, but who knows when. Maybe they'll skip it and go straight for releasing Yakuza 3 for Christmas 2009? Hopefully we'll get more news on all of this at TGS as Nagoshi will be there with Y3 and journalists should be able to bother him about these things even if he doesn't mention them in a presentation.

Hey Mr Woo! How far did you get up to? You can throw it in spoiler tags if you like. Yeah it really is a great game. I never heard the dub on the first game, but I saw some youtube videos and it looked lolsome (like the "step da fuck up!" they're always going on about over at GAF). Kiryu's voice is quite cool and the games are lipsynched somewhat to the original acting, so it seems a shame they dubbed it in the first place. The story, I have to say I prefer the first game, the second is pretty wild.

Kinhshrew, in the JP version of the game, the loading times are much better than the original game (though they haven't vanished completely). The visuals were more or less the same I felt, great character models, nice atmosphere in the levels but naturally some pretty lo-res textures.

Like Mr Woo, I hope they hurry up with the Western versions of Kenzan and 3. I know a year or so ago, they mentioned releasing Kenzan, but who knows when. Maybe they'll skip it and go straight for releasing Yakuza 3 for Christmas 2009? Hopefully we'll get more news on all of this at TGS as Nagoshi will be there with Y3 and journalists should be able to bother him about these things even if he doesn't mention them in a presentation.

I had finished Chapter 9 (i think) and was just about to start the next Chapter, basically after the save for the next chapter it wont load up, obviously due to the dual layer burn. I think the last thing I did is (this is fucking shakeful, my memorys for bugger all)

I took out that traitor bastard Shindo and rescued Yayoi from him at the Tojo clan headquarters, her son then shot him and killed him. It also seems like Sengoku and Go-Ryu Club are working separately and not together so I've got some serious smackdown to lay down still. That's it so far from what I remember

The dubbing in the first game was very funny and over the top. Luckily Kazumas voice was pretty good, Mark Hamill was a good laugh as Majima as well. Even whilst running through the streets some of the guys coming up to you were hilarious dubbed, 'what the FUCK!'

• Uzi changed the title to All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced