IGNORED

All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced

womblingfree

Finished the main story today after taking my time to do pretty much all of the side quests / side stories. 84 hours and still only 37% complete, I am truly in awe of anyone who can be bothered to finish these games - completing each pose in the PrintCircle with each character ... nah I think I'll pass. 

As ever it's fantastic stuff. They have crammed in even more stuff than usual, and impressively they've managed to keep most of it fairly fun. There is plenty of stuff I haven't really touched (most of the mini games / bar games, and the chicken racing was just too much for me to take in) but I found the taxi missions, hunting and baseball stuff really fun. I even struggled to the end of Haruka's stuff, for my sins. 

Rambling story thoughts:

Spoiler

This is where it was a bit of a letdown for me. I know there are only so many stories you can realistically centre around one man and his gangland chums, but it felt like the devs were actively aware of that which was the reason for all of the subplots, the Haruka stuff and all of the supposed KERBLAMMOs which ended up being mostly red herrings. Plenty of the fights also seemed a bit pointless, near the end was there any real reason for Shinada to fight Baba at the concert? Neither of them really had anything to do with each other throughout the game, so it seemed a bit of a waste of time to make them scrap. And to be honest, anything that came after the Kiryu vs Saejima fight (as dodgy as the reasoning for that fight was, it was still a great moment. I chose Saejima, for my sins!) seemed a little bit overwhelming - that had all the hallmarks of a game-ender so it was disappointing to have a fair bit more stuff (not to mention more Haruka bollocks) before the real end came. The Majima stuff was a bit weird too, for three quarters of the game he was assumed dead but when it was mentioned he was alive no-one seemed too surprised.

Character-wise ... I really don't feel the Haruka stuff really worked out. Having started this series at Y3 (but watched the 'reminisce' videos at the time), I've always been a bit mystified as to why I'm supposed to care about her so much, and playing as her for a fair portion of this game just wasn't fun for me. I'm guessing it was a bit of Japanese fan-service but having to play a rhythm-action game for 10 hours in the middle of standard Yak gameplay was really jarring. Having said that, I didn't really take to Shinada either. His fighting style was really awkward and although the baseball sub-plot seemed mildly diverting at first, it soon got somewhat tedious when they tried to tie it back in with the main story. I would much rather have preferred a return for Tanimura (the police kid from Y4).

The number of locations was also a bit of a mixed bag. 5 cities is a great technical achievement, but I think given the choice I'd have preferred a brand-new Kamurocho-sized city. I know the story probably wouldn't have worked that way, but never mind. 

Overall a great game - maybe the best - but certainly not the best story, far from it. Won't stop me looking forward to Zero though. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't have any problems with the baseball stuff, but that's because I fortunately chose to do all the baseball side quests first chance I got before moving on with the story. Those will upgrade not only your stats, but also increase the size of your hitbox. So much so, that you don't even have to aim anymore, just press the correct button for a homerun every single time. You will also get an big supply of slo-mo bullet time to make it even easier, but after a while you don't even need that anymore. So yeah, do the baseball side quests asap and upgrade your equipment once you have cash. Baseball becomes ridiculously easy.

Thanks for the tips, I got reasonably good at it. But by that time I had reached the finale and I was so invested in the story that I just blew through it. Amazing!

Now begins the long wait for Yakuza 0/Kiwani/6.

I quite liked the baseball, as it was the first part of the game I had found genuinely challenging. Even the minigames you think are difficult (like the noodle serving one) give you an 'S' Rank at the end when it felt like you just muddled through. I think the whole 'monster hunter' section could have great if it had been harder. Not that it wasn't fun.

The rhythm stuff you could do with your eyes closed. And it's not like Sega haven't got the smarts to do a decent challenge, higher difficulties of Hatsune Miku break your mind.

I think the Yakuza games have become far too easy, I hope they have mixed it up for the PS4 versions.

Now - I admit I did play on Normal. That's because I was anticipating how occasionally the series will throw a totally hard as fuck boss at you. But 5 didn't even really do that, and you can't raise the difficulty after the start. Did anyone play on hard and how did you find it?

So yeah, better difficulty settings is what I would ask for. Still absolutely love these games.

46 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I quite liked the baseball, as it was the first part of the game I had found genuinely challenging. Even the minigames you think are difficult (like the noodle serving one) give you an 'S' Rank at the end when it felt like you just muddled through. I think the whole 'monster hunter' section could have great if it had been harder. Not that it wasn't fun.

The rhythm stuff you could do with your eyes closed. And it's not like Sega haven't got the smarts to do a decent challenge, higher difficulties of Hatsune Miku break your mind.

I think the Yakuza games have become far too easy, I hope they have mixed it up for the PS4 versions.

Now - I admit I did play on Normal. That's because I was anticipating how occasionally the series will throw a totally hard as fuck boss at you. But 5 didn't even really do that, and you can't raise the difficulty after the start. Did anyone play on hard and how did you find it?

So yeah, better difficulty settings is what I would ask for. Still absolutely love these games.

If you play on Normal and keep on failing a section you do get the option to drop down to Easy mode for that section. Do you not get that option on Hard? Or would your OCD get in the way of ever dropping the difficulty?

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

If you play on Normal and keep on failing a section you do get the option to drop down to Easy mode for that section. Do you not get that option on Hard? Or would your OCD get in the way of ever dropping the difficulty?

I don't know, to be honest. That would be an option, for sure.

It's hard to say whether it really is easy or if, after playing essentially the same game 5 times in a row we are just good at it now?

Personally I felt normal was spot on, I don't recall properly dying (was on a slither for a couple of the challenge fights like that punk kid and his grandpa) but it is pretty generous with recovery items. 

That might be part of it, but I'm not THAT good ;-) As you say yourself, would you really expect to get the whole way through a 60+ hour game without seeing a game over once?

I just feel that a more robust difficulty brings out more in the combat system. I found a "rage belt" or some nonsense that makes the fights harder, and it is more fun.

A personal opinion, of course, which is why difficulty levels are good!

I'm only halfway through Akiyama's chapter but I've played on Hard from the start and I've not died yet or really had to use a recovery item in a fight. I wouldn't ever had said that the previous games were much of a struggle on Hard either though.

Honestly, after the hell of Boxcelios being part of 100% completing Y3 and 4, I'm glad the mini-games in Y5 have been made easier.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally finished Y5 after seemingly months. 60% completion and with only the Amon fight substory to go.

I agree with Yobo up thread about the story, though I disagree about Haruka and Shinada. As much as I do love beating folk up, after 3 games where it was just that, I liked that they made it go a bit strange. A rhythm action and more developed baseball game were nice changes. I also thought the hunting was good and I'd gladly take a more fleshed out version of that as a game in itself.

The story was more convoluted than any Yakuza game before though and really suffered. I had completely forgotten who Aizawa was (though this might be my fault for taking so long to get through the story) so the double revelation had no impact. Which is a shame because the first rooftop scene with The Detective was great.

4 > 2 > 3 > 5 > 1

Also I'm a bit annoyed that finishing the game on Hard with no continues didn't net me the "don't go down to Easy" trophy. I'd have to finish it another 2 times to get the Platinum trophy because I believe in my abilities!

I actually really liked the hunting, driving and baseball. The Haruka stuff was passable but doing the same 3 songs over and over really grated. I basically wanted to get through it as quickly as possible, yet somehow I still felt compelled to finish all her missions. Bizarre.

1 hour ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I actually really liked the hunting, driving and baseball. The Haruka stuff was passable but doing the same 3 songs over and over really grated. I basically wanted to get through it as quickly as possible, yet somehow I still felt compelled to finish all her missions. Bizarre.

The hunting on paper was rubbish - like a budget PS2 game as someone up thread described it - yet I did all the hunting missions and side quests.

I'm really surprised that Yakuza 0 is getting a physical release in Europe. I haven't played any of the series but, uh, I have every game except the first. Just...don't ask.

So is Yakuza 0 the game to start with or should I wait for the remake of the original and play them in order?

• Uzi changed the title to All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced