IGNORED

Best Simpsons season

McSpeed

Next monday is my nineteenth birthday, and my parents just asked me what they should get for me. I always like to have some more Simpsons episodes on DVD, but I'm still wondering what DVD box to ask. So, out of season 1 - 10, which do you think is the best?

I've already got 2 and 3 by the way, so I was thinking about 4... or 7, or 8. I really don't know :(

Series 6

Itchy and Scratchy Land, Sideshow Bob Roberts, Homer Badman (sexual harrasment), Homer the Great (Stone Cutters), Bart vs Australia, Homer the Clown (which isn't that great but the Homer sees everyone a clown stuff is) and possibly my favourite episode (jostling with Flaming Moes and Fish Called Selma) - And Maggie Makes Three.

I'd say season 4, mainly for "Marge vs the Monorail", "Last Exit to Springfield", "Homer the Heretic", "Duffless" and "Krusty Gets Kancelled". But really, there isn't much difference in quality between 4, 5 and 6.

Good point. Krusty Gets Kancelled is pretty much my fav Simpsons episodes as well, so there's another reason.

I'll just go to the store tomorrow and see what they have, though season 4 has top priority now :(

I'm going to crawl out on an unpopular limb here and suggest season one. You've got 2 and 3, so you'll be ending up with a nice starting trilogy to track development, and rather than merely watching episodes that you can see on TV pretty much anytime, you can check out the extras and commentaries dealing with the roots of the show - season one is a good set for commentaries. Plus it's got Life on the Fast Lane, Moaning Lisa and The Crepes of Wrath, which are all superb. Zut alors! Le Prison!

Series 6

Itchy and Scratchy Land, Sideshow Bob Roberts, Homer Badman (sexual harrasment), Homer the Great (Stone Cutters), Bart vs Australia, Homer the Clown (which isn't that great but the Homer sees everyone a clown stuff is) and possibly my favourite episode (jostling with Flaming Moes and Fish Called Selma) - And Maggie Makes Three.

Now thats a series!

My favourite Season is probably Season 4, lots of classic episodes in there. I can't really agree with any sentiments like Season 1 WAS The Simpsons. There were some good episodes in there but quite a few bad ones as well, and the show clearly hadn't found its feet, regularly slipping into sitcom and television cliche and with ill defined characters and occasionally glacial pacing. Season 2 was a much better attempt at the same thing; better developed characters and storylines, more subversive and satirical, funnier, sharper, more inventive. Compare the brilliance of episodes like, say, Burns running for governer or Itchy and Scratchy and Marge or Lisa's Substitute against Homer's Odyssey or Homer's Night Out and there's no comparison at all.

• 2 years later...

The episode when Lisa goes to the museum alone, gets lost and Homer rides a cherry picker, gets his head stuck in a cantilever bridge and then cars drive over his head - one of the best sequences in any TV comedy.

Season 4 however is my favourite box set.