IGNORED

Best Simpsons season

McSpeed

Homer Badman is my favourite episode of all time. A laugh probably every minute with that episode and the same jokes still make me laugh today.

I love the "portrait of an ass grabber" sequence, especially where Dennis Frams runs over the cat and the car bumps over it, little details man, little details that made the Simpsons great.

The Spin-off showcase is utter shite though IMO

Series 6

Itchy and Scratchy Land, Sideshow Bob Roberts, Homer Badman (sexual harrasment), Homer the Great (Stone Cutters), Bart vs Australia, Homer the Clown (which isn't that great but the Homer sees everyone a clown stuff is) and possibly my favourite episode (jostling with Flaming Moes and Fish Called Selma) - And Maggie Makes Three.

Wow, didn't realise that was all season 6. If I only had to choose one DVD, this would be it. Some of the greatest comedy moments of all time, of all time!

what series did the original writers leave? 3-4? before it turned into random stupidity

:)

Go back and re-watch the crapness of the season 1, ya wierdo. Just to clarify, I'm not sure when the true, comedy writers came into the fold

Conan o'Brien was there for a while. He wrote some great episodes, Treehouse of Horror IV (1993) ,Homer Goes to College (possibly my fav episode of the Simpsons) (1993), Marge vs. the Monorail (1993), New Kid on the Block

Series 8

hankscorp.gif

You Only Move Twice

The Springfield Files

Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious

The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show

Homer's Phobia

Brother from Another Series

The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase

I think 6 has more great episodes, but 8 has You Only Move Twice.

I am of the opinion that You Only Move Twice is the moment where not only The Simpsons peaked, but television as a medium peaked. It is simply the finest 25 minutes of television ever made.

But the Sherry Bobbins one has Willie singing maniac then this:

GKW: Sherry Bobbins is that you?

Lisa: You know her?

GKW: Aye, we were arranged to be married in the auld country, then she got her eyesight back and suddenly the ugliest man in Glasgow isnt good enough for her

Sherry: Its good to see you Willie

GKW: Thats not what you said the first time you saw me!

Willie > Everyone, Yes even Hank Scorpio

I think the one where Homer becomes the Union leader is rapidly moving its way up my list. The bit where he's bursting for the loo in the basement always gets me, as does the bit where Mr Burns flies off in the chopper. "Like a bug! A bug!". Oh and "DENTAL PLAN!", "Lisa needs braces" etc. etc. It still amazes me how someone sat down and wrote that. It's inspired.

Series 8

hankscorp.gif

You Only Move Twice

The Springfield Files

Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious

The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show

Homer's Phobia

Brother from Another Series

The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase

You left Mountain of Madness off that list:

Smokey: Only who can prevent forest fires?

[bart chooses the "You" button over the "Me"]

You pressed "you," referring to me. That is incorrect. The correct answer is "you".

Ever seen a man laugh at his own shoes?

Yes, once.

From an article on that blog I've been obsessed with in the Up thread:

There's a scene in this one episode where the Schwarzenegger muscleman character, Ranier Wolfcastle, appears on Springfield Squares, and they introduce him by having him talk about his latest film, which is about a businessman who goes to his old college where his son is now enrolled and is horrified to discover that his son has become a nerd. The host, the newscaster Kent Brockman, says, "That sounds very funny," and Wolfcastle says, "It's not a comedy." My daughter laughed at that, then she said, "Dad, why is that funny?" And I thought: Wow, now I've got to explain seven or eight different things to her. I've got to explain Hollywood Squares, the idea of Kent Brockman the newscaster doubling as a game show host, the whole subgenre of back-to-college movies and the obsession with nerds in the 1980s, and the entire career of Arnold Schwarzenegger, just for that one joke. The Simpsons is probably going to outlast all of the things it's making fun of, and in making fun of them, it's going to preserve their memory.

See? The Simpsons' jokes are deeeeeeep.

anything involving conan o'brien on the writing team

The importance of Conan O'Brien to the show has always been wildly overstated. He wrote 3 episodes and was only involved in the show in Season 4 and about half of Season 5. The show was great before then, and it was still great for a few years afterwards.

The importance of Conan O'Brien to the show has always been wildly overstated. He wrote 3 episodes and was only involved in the show in Season 4 and about half of Season 5. The show was great before then, and it was still great for a few years afterwards.

Aye. They were good episodes though.

And how I laughed when I saw Worker and Parasite for the first time.

Homer in Space is a real gem as well. I've always been quite fond of the scene where he's in the G-Force simulator and his face morphs into Popeye's.

I don't get why so many people like Homer in Space too much. It's unrealistic. (I'm aware that there are unrealistic Simpsons before this, but that went over a line.) Anything after season 4 is basically worthless to me. Season 1 is the real deal.

It's all about the rod!

I just find it a very funny episode, with some cool sci-fi references.

Series 6

Itchy and Scratchy Land, Sideshow Bob Roberts, Homer Badman (sexual harrasment), Homer the Great (Stone Cutters), Bart vs Australia, Homer the Clown (which isn't that great but the Homer sees everyone a clown stuff is) and possibly my favourite episode (jostling with Flaming Moes and Fish Called Selma) - And Maggie Makes Three.

Is the correct answer.

Although any from 3-9 would be perfectly cromulent too.

Series 6

Homer the Clown (which isn't that great but the Homer sees everyone a clown stuff is)

Yeah, this episode is amazing. When Homer is at the dinner table painstakingly making mash potato into a circus tent sculpture, sees the rest of the family as clowns, 'hears' Marge whistle a circus tune, then jumps up and outbursts with "That's it! I'm going to clown college", storming out, with a slight pause and Bart saying "Well I don't think any of us expected him to say that!". Absolutely legendary. Unfortunately I could only find the clip in German on Youtube.

Also, this bit: