IGNORED

Best Simpsons season

McSpeed

You mean all those moments that people keep mentioning, many years after they first aired? :omg:

Within the show by the characters. In the first couple of seasons they learn from their experiences and mistakes. You can totally believe in the them.

I hate the Simpsons now. It went from the saviour of television to everything that's rotten about the medium. It's traitorous. Groening should be ashamed of himself.

I don't get why so many people like Homer in Space too much. It's unrealistic. (I'm aware that there are unrealistic Simpsons before this, but that went over a line.) Anything after season 4 is basically worthless to me. Season 1 is the real deal.

Yeah I miss relatable Season 4 episodes like the one where Homer rips a pair of siamese twins in half with an anchor before it gets wedged in a giant donut and stops a runaway monorail, an event which was preceded by trees growing tentacles and radioactive squirrels shooting down acorns with lasers from their eyes. It's pretty daft to draw a line in the sand at season 4, there are loads of later episodes much more grounded than stuff in that season, particularly in Season 7.

I think the one where Homer becomes the Union leader is rapidly moving its way up my list. The bit where he's bursting for the loo in the basement always gets me, as does the bit where Mr Burns flies off in the chopper. "Like a bug! A bug!". Oh and "DENTAL PLAN!", "Lisa needs braces" etc. etc. It still amazes me how someone sat down and wrote that. It's inspired.

Find the bathroom?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees...

One of my all times favourites in the "Itchy and Scratchy Land" episode in Season 6. So many lolz in that episode.

"Phew! Glad that wasn't us!"

"Welcome to Itchy and Scratchy Land, where nothing can possib-lie go wrong. Possibly go wrong. That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong."

"We are sold out of 'Bort' licence plates at the gift shop! Repeat, need more 'Bort' licence plates!"

:lol:

Bart: Wow can i see your club?

Black Cop (Lou?): Its called a baton, son.

Bart: Whats you use it for?

Black Cop: We club people with it.

I totally believe Bart learned a shit load from that ride along he had. Seriously though, funny is funny isnt it? Is there any need to be so analyitcal about it?

I think the shows decline has alot to do with them actually becoming cartoon characters rather than the depth and heart present in earlier seasons.

To an extent, but it wasn't that in isolation that caused it. There are episodes in the classic seasons which have very one-dimensional portrayals of the characters but they get away with it because the jokes were still good and the plots still entertaining. For example, something like Homer Goes To College in Season 5 portrays Homer as a retard, essentially, but the writing was still funny so you overlook it. Nowadays you have poor characterisations but you also have boring or stupid stories, loads of bad jokes, bad animation etc.

"Phew! Glad that wasn't us!"

"Welcome to Itchy and Scratchy Land, where nothing can possib-lie go wrong. Possibly go wrong. That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong."

"We are sold out of 'Bort' licence plates at the gift shop! Repeat, need more 'Bort' licence plates!"

Attention, Marge Simpson. We have also arrested your older, balder, fatter son.

*Robot itchy removes top of head to show all the circuits and stuff*

Marge: "You see all that stuff in there Homer? That's why your robot didn't work" :)

Yeah I miss relatable Season 4 episodes like the one where Homer rips a pair of siamese twins in half with an anchor before it gets wedged in a giant donut and stops a runaway monorail, an event which was preceded by trees growing tentacles and radioactive squirrels shooting down acorns with lasers from their eyes. It's pretty daft to draw a line in the sand at season 4, there are loads of later episodes much more grounded than stuff in that season, particularly in Season 7.

The characters still acted in a consistent manner and those are arguably abstract events that don't infringe upon the family's development of their understanding of themselves and each other - which was the main thrust behind The Simpsons. Oh yeah, and it was funny as well.

Do they? Examples?

I'm not going through goodness knows how many old episodes of The Simpsons to prove a point.

More importanatly who cares about how believeable they are?

Me.

I think my all time favourite episode was the one where Homer steals the Gummy Venus di Milo in Season 6.

"See you in Hell Candy Boys!"

Season 6 also includes the episode where they have to rescue the Springfield Lemon tree from Shelbyville

"If you'll excuse me, all of this talking is making me miiighty hungry" <takes bite from lemon>

..so yeah, season 6 for me :angry:

S5's Cape Feare is my all time favourite episode.

FBI man: Tell you what, Mr. Simpson, from now on your name is Homer Thompson, at Terror Lake. Let's just practice a bit, hmmmm? So when I say hello Mr. Thompson, you say hi.

Homer: Check!

FBI man: Hello, Mr. Thompson.

[Homer stares]

[pause]

FBI man: Now, remember, your name is Homer Thompson.

Homer: I gotcha!

[Homer stares]

[FBI men stare at each other]

[hours pass by]

FBI man: Argh... Now when I say "Hello Mr. Thompson" and press down on your foot, you smile and nod.

Homer: No problem.

[stepping hard on Homer's foot]

[Homer stares blankly for a few seconds]

Homer: [whispering to the FBI man next to him] I think he's talking to you.

[FBI man gives up]

I think my all time favourite episode was the one where Homer steals the Gummy Venus di Milo in Season 6.

Season 6 also includes the episode where they have to rescue the Springfield Lemon tree from Shelbyville

..so yeah, season 6 for me :angry:

That episode is genius.

'Homer sleeps nude in an oxygen tent which he believes gives him sexual powers!'

'thats a half truth!'

Its a shame the simpsons has gotten so terrible now, as there was a time when it was honestly the funniest thing on TV. Its all slapstick humour now with the writers seeing which ludicrous way they can beat up homer this week. And when they even try and make any kind of social commentary now it just feels ham fisted and forced

I still think the Larry Burns episode is my favourite. It probably would have been a stinker had it not been for Rodney Dangerfield.

It's a good episode, but I always think of its lack of an ending ("It's a party, it doesn't have to make sense!") as marking the point when cracks in The Simpsons' perfection started to show. :angry:

• 3 years later...

Anyway, so I stumbled across a vintage episode of the Simpsons on YouTube the other week, then when browsing a local HMV a few days, I bought a cheap season 8 box set. I haven't watched any 'new' Simpsons episodes in a nearly decade, and to be honest those really negatively coloured my perception of the series, but having caught an old episode, it immediately clicked with me why I thought so highly of the Simpsons in the olden days. At its peak, it really was pure gold at times.