rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Steve007

NHL discussion thread

4 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Does that mean that it is off Premier / Freesports?

No idea. 

Good to see UK Hockey in the news again! :lol: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/51006694

Ever had that dream where you forget to put your trousers on before heading to school or work?

It was not quite that bad for ice hockey referee Richard Belfitt, but he left his officiating trousers at home, leading to Sunday's National League game between Peterborough Phantoms and Telford Tigers being delayed.

Face-off eventually took place 15 minutes late after he dashed off to get some appropriate bottoms, but not before some gentle mickey-taking from the crowd and on social media.

"We all saw the lighter side of it," Phantoms defenceman Tom Norton told BBC Sport.

"The funny thing is we were a bit late for our warm-up and had been threatened with a penalty from the officials if we weren't off the ice in time.

My son got 2 minutes roughing in his game yesterday. Now he has had plenty of penalties before for tripping, hooking, slashing and even roughing, This one made me proud though as this roughing call was for punching someone :lol: Never knew he had it in him. 

• Upvote 3

Maybe he can join in the Battle of Alberta?  Which is absolutely, totally on.  We need this as a playoff series and I don't care if the NHL rig it to be so.

Some of the highlights so far.

Starting point.

Kassian returns.

And back in Calgary

• Upvote 2

The Toronto Maple Leafs managed to lose a game to a 42 year old zamboni driver that they employ.

• Upvote 1

It's a brilliant story, and the kind of thing only hockey really provides.

In Toronto however it's a real "sky is falling" moment. Sports media is going bananas.

Announced a Return to Play plan.

24 teams qualify.

Top 4 in each conference play a round robin to determine seeding

Remaining 8 play a best of 5 play-in series to qualify proper

First two rounds either best of 7 or best of 5 TBD

Conference finals and Final is best of 7

To play out of two of 8 hub cities TBD

Draft

Seven non-qualifiers straight into the lottery for a top three pick

Placeholders for the eight losers of the play-in series

Top three picks drawn - if the top three is the seven non-qualifiers, then that is the picking order

If one of the three is a placeholder, then a further lottery for the eight losers to see who gets the pick.

It's... about as reasonable as you could get under the circumstances.  Training camps not before July 1st and probably will last two weeks minimum.

That's great news expanding the playoffs is a great idea. 

661419312_Screenshot2020-05-27at13_32_58.thumb.png.5a3e40e0f774c68290395cbacf4b25d1.png

Oh, 39 points not going to be enough then? Fuck you Gary Bettman! :lol: 

Isn't having a season for the history books not good enough for you? Sheesh, some people.

Pittsburgh to get rolled in the play-in round, get #1 pick, and draft Lafreniere.

Yeah, ok.

I do expect Detroit to lose the draft lottery too. We've become a joke :lol:

Comfort yourself with one thing.

You didn't lose a game at home to a 42 year old Zamboni driver... <SteveDangle> WHO WORKS FOR THEM!  </SteveDangle>

• Upvote 1

Putting this here as it's a mildly interesting story.

I got into hockey in 1990 and started watching it in Blackburn in early 1992, probably around the Winter Olympics.  I got hooked and still am.  But I was young and properly hooked, so I went all over the country watching the Hawks.  In the autumn of the first full season, 92-93, I went down to watch the Hawks play in Streatham.  I have a few vague recollections of the trip, but I do know that I went to a hockey shop in North London and bought a shirt.

The shirt itself was a Dusseldorf EG away shirt.  I'd been watching DEL hockey on one of the early satellite TV channels and Dusseldorf were on it a lot.  And they had a very cool shirt.  So I picked it up in this shop.  Looked like this but with a big EPSON logo on it in the blue bit.

image.png.2e2209c1725d35a817610c168003943a.png

Fast forward 22 and a bit years and an old hockey friend of mine keeps posting on Instagram the various European hockey shirts he buys.  I've never actually chucked my DEG shirt away because I like it too much, but I've never going to wear it either.  So like most of my hockey memorabilia I keep it until it finds a better home*.  I dropped him a message, saying he can have it for a tenner.

He's just got back to me.  Turns out that it's not a replica.  It's game worn.  And it's game worn by a guy called Helmut De Raaf, who represented Germany in three Winter Olympics, won 10 national championships and is a member of the German Hockey Hall of Fame.  It was probably worn during round 2 of the EuropaCup, which was the forerunner to the European Cup / European Champions League, in a round robin between DEG, Rouen, Jokerit and Dynamo Moscow hosted by Dusseldorf.

No wonder he kept asking me if I really got it from a hockey shop in North London!

*The puck for the first goal scored at the Altrincham Ice Dome was a wedding present to someone a couple of years ago.  Signed Adam Oates hockey card, anyone?**

** No. You're not having that.

• Upvote 3

Is there a long-term Crosby or Malkin replacement available in this draft worth the Pens losing in the playoffs for?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Is there a long-term Crosby or Malkin replacement available in this draft worth the Pens losing in the playoffs for?

Hmm...whoever could that be?

For maximum hilarity I'd love to see Toronto get it. Oh, people would kick off!

6 hours ago, bradigor said:

:lol: Jesus christ, we cannot catch a break. 

Detroit had an 18.5% chance of winning the first pick, with a 50% chance of dropping to fourth place.

The Senators actually had better odds, with 2nd (13.5%) and 3rd (11.5%) picks for a total of 25%.  The winning slot had a 2.5% chance.

There actually was a non-zero chance of the Rangers winning the Stanley Cup and getting the first overall pick.

Any good hockey documentaries about? Specific team, player, game/event or just general history would suit me. 

There is a brilliant 30 for 30 called Of Miracles and Men which is about Russian hockey and the aftermath of the Miracle on Ice.

YouTube has a CBC documentary called The History of Hockey, and if you do a search on the NHL site for Stanley Cup films they are usually pretty good.

• Upvote 1

There's one called 'The Red Army' too, which you might have to find on the High Seas.