IGNORED

NHL discussion thread

Steve007

The Last Gladiators is a great insight into the rise and fall of the enforcer role.

Speaking of individual players, this month marks 30 years since a certain Jaromir Jagr was drafted by the Pens. Definitely one of my all-time favourite players (his jersey was the first I bought when growing up), despite not coming back to Pittsburgh for a proper retirement.

Great video from NHL.com:

https://www.nhl.com/video/the-ultimate-jaromir-jagr-mixtape/t-277350912/c-5385611

• 3 weeks later...

I think we are about to see the full demise of Ice Hockey in the UK. 

Rinks have been shut previously, but I think the immediate closure of John Nike in Bracknell will have far reaching effects on the grass roots game. They held jamborees there every year for U10s and for many it was a wonderful introduction to tournament hockey. Aside from Sheffield, it felt like the main trip for events in the sport. 

I don't think John Nike will be the last to go in the near future, any rink only venues are very much in danger. So likely Hull, Invicta, etc too. 

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

I think we are about to see the full demise of Ice Hockey in the UK. 

Rinks have been shut previously, but I think the immediate closure of John Nike in Bracknell will have far reaching effects on the grass roots game. They held jamborees there every year for U10s and for many it was a wonderful introduction to tournament hockey. Aside from Sheffield, it felt like the main trip for events in the sport. 

I don't think John Nike will be the last to go in the near future, any rink only venues are very much in danger. So likely Hull, Invicta, etc too. 

The council in Hull are hoping to build a new rink sometime in the future as to be honest the Hull Ice Arena is way past it’s prime.

Sad to hear John Nike is closing, Bracknell is my hometown and I spent many summers there, never mastering skating backwards, and spending for too much time playing Pacland instead.

oof, to make matter worse. Ice Rinks haven't been given the all clear to re-open as yet. Plans for a return to play structure are on hold at the moment. That will obviously have an effect on hockey clubs, figure skaters and indeed the rinks themselves, as they won't be open to the public. 

We'll see many walk away from their clubs, those clubs fold and more rinks go as they discover they cannot afford to run moving forward. 

I don't agree with anything being back open yet as it is, but to leave rinks to rot, whilst other things can open is going to destroy them. 

Anyone know how many games BT sport generally air or will air when the new season starts?

I got a free trial for 3 months on the app for the restart of the Premier League, and seems I’ll catch any Stanley Cup action as well. And the app is great quality on Apple TV.

Ive got NHL TV but interested if BT gets a good volume of games...?

20 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

You are about ten years too late I am afraid, we had a awesome team back on the 360, it’s just about the only game I have ever been good at.

Dude, I think we used to play. I was always with @bradigor and @ilpostino and scott as well. Scott has it on PS4, so I wanted to see if people could come together again.

I play most evenings with my brother, would love to be in a club again, sigh.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Oilers just beat the Sens 8-5 , I've been following the NHL casually for a few years(and a bit more closely this year) and I don't remember seeing anything that large score wise. Ottowa are having a fair bit of grief in general but they still scored 5 goals on the road. Some high scoring games this year, being a goaltender in the NHL really is a an exercise in futility sometimes.