IGNORED

In Search of Steve Ditko (Jon Ross)

JoeK

I loved how giddy Ross and Gaiman were right at the end. Brilliant stuff.

Even the greats have their idols.

The wonderful, wonderful thing about comics is that the classics get better over time.

There's some Chris Claremont penned X-Mens that I have which although I've read time and time again, I can still pick them up and get so much enjoyment out of them.

Same as my collection of the original Ghost-Rider series - surreal stuff indeed, but lovely.

This is veering off-topic with all this Moore-relate gubbins, but I've got an MP3 of a cracking Radio 4 interview of Alan Moore, by Stewart Lee. Very entertaining, and extremely amusing.

At one point, he was talking about how an edition of Swamp Thing he wrote criticised gun ownership, an he was flooded with complaints from American readers. Stewart Lee's line was ace - "Hey, I bought this book about a sentient vegetable in good faith!".

PM me if you want me to send it ya.

Missed this, but I guess it'll be repeated two or three times this week, like the last one. Was Moore doing his Ditko impersonation? I 'interviewed' him back in the 80s (more accurately just listened to him in teenage awe) and he was talking about Ditko and Rorschach, at which point he told a story about Ditko defining his moral code with the aid of a blank card and a black marker - "there is black, and there is white, and there is nothing in between" - giving me his best intense mad stare as he did so. Then he started talking about the kettle melting over the hearth during the last ripper murder, and that was even better. Looking back I expect he was simply trying to scare me off. I saved him any further effort by kicking a cup of coffee over his carpet, so I was too mortified to ever contact the man again even though he dismissed my apologies and made me another cup. In my mind at the time it was the equivalent of visiting William Burroughs and accidentally killing one of his cats, or going round Andy Warhol's and blocking the toilet.

Awesome story. Moore should be on telly more often could listen to him telling scary stories all night.

This is veering off-topic with all this Moore-relate gubbins, but I've got an MP3 of a cracking Radio 4 interview of Alan Moore, by Stewart Lee. Very entertaining, and extremely amusing.

At one point, he was talking about how an edition of Swamp Thing he wrote criticised gun ownership, an he was flooded with complaints from American readers. Stewart Lee's line was ace - "Hey, I bought this book about a sentient vegetable in good faith!".

PM me if you want me to send it ya.

Yes, that was his appearance on "Chain Reaction" - first time I'd heard an interview with him, and it was great. By chance I only noticed it listed in the paper a couple of hours before it was on.

There's a transcript of it here - I like the translation for Americans at the bottom!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=4737

Watched this last night and I was like a little kid again. For starters I didn't realise Ditko was that shy and reclusive, I didn't even know too that he had a beef with Stan the man. I loved the fact more people are going to read Mister A though the story is a little dry the graphic design/visuals are amazing even til today.

Also finally Neil Gaiman and Rossy? - utter genius, and lastly didn't realise how much Roscarch was influenced by Ditko until now, amazing.

Best documentary ever for me.