Favourite run&Gun game

strider

Quite a vague genre, really. For my tastes, they should encourage if not force constant movement (push scrolling is definitely an option), be fast, and provide and endless stream of enemies with little or no motivation to let go of the fire button.

I wouldn't personally call Exolon run-and-gun, or something like Rolling Thunder. Not sure about things like The Ninja on the SMS, or Time Warriors.

Difficult to remember many of these that I have played.

One that springs to mind is Green Beret on the Speccy (arcade conversion, wasn't it) - maybe because it was bastard hard. Good Speccy conversion though - I can still hear the siren from the start, and the "tschh, tschh" stabbing sound FX. Because you did a lot of stabbing when you died and restarted.

Green Beret was a great conversion by Imagine/Ocean on several formats... I've spent a lot of time recently playing it (not so subtle hint :) )

Green Beret was a great conversion by Imagine/Ocean on several formats... I've spent a lot of time recently playing it (not so subtle hint :) )

I recall playing the C64 version and whilst it looked the part, as much as the C64 could muster anyway, the dynamic of using the knife was all wrong...

games like Alien breed, Robotron, Smash TV and Chaos Engine are all eligiable.

If you took the term literally, you'd have a top 25 that just consisted of various versions of Contra and Metal Slug

Well then, Commando and Ikari Warriors!

I don't think its really possible to draw a meaningful distinction between run&gun and platform shoot 'ep-ups as genres. There are some games that are obviously one or the other (Contra/Turrican) but too many games that blur the distinction (Midnight Resistance, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Robocop, Rolling Thunder).

I don't think it is supposed to include overhead viewed games though (as in, I don't think I have seen Commando categorised as run 'n' gun... I might be wrong).

Wasn't this a PSX game?

I remember enjoying it though...kind of a pretend 3D (a la Pademonium) version of Contra...

A cursory glance at gamefaqs.com shows that it was indeed a PS1 game (and a PC game) although I suspect it looks better on the DC than those other versions. Others in this sub-genre would include Loaded and Reloaded on the PS1.

If you took the term literally, you'd have a top 25 that just consisted of various versions of Contra and Metal Slug

I wasn't so much talking about literal definitions, more about that fuzzy blighter, 'feel'. Green Beret feels very run-and-gun, Rolling Thunder or Shinobi don't. But I guess it's a broad church.

Ooh, just remembered Abuse back from the PC's VGA shareware days - there's a largely forgotten cracker.

Ooh, just remembered Abuse back from the PC's VGA shareware days - there's a largely forgotten cracker.

I found out recently that was actually done by Bungie... Wierd.

I always liked Heavy Barrel on arcade. Nice evolution of Ikari Warriors with some decent powerups and it would throw a lot of enemies at you at once.

And Victory Road, that wierd Ikari Warriors in space with Japanese mythological enemies thing.