John Carter of Mars

It's the first live-action movie under the Pixar/Disney banner, directed by Andrew Stanton(Nemo, Wall-E).

Is that still the case? There was no mention of Pixar anywhere in that trailer. Looked very much like a Disney movie, even if Pixar happen to be doing the CG for it.

I don't know the original material, I'm not particularly into fantasy type stuff and I'm following this mostly because of Stanton; I really liked that trailer.

As said above, works well for a teaser. And the music? An Arcade Fire cover :wub:

I possed Morrius for having an opinion even if it was the wrong one. Unlike the brainless drones who prefer clicking a button instead of starting a discussion.

Still, Morrius, shit opinion mate - this looks wicked. I knew this was wicked when I saw the sexy lady cry, that gets me excited because there is a love interest (which so many films lack lol). Or it gets me excited because women crying are hot. Nah man, it looks props good.

I recommend anyone pick up the first two books in the series. They're very much of their time, but full of action and adventure. Very pulpy, as is often the case with Edgar Rice Burroughs. But it's good pulp.

As for the trailer, pleasantly surprised and quite optimistic. I do get the feeling this might be a flop though. John Carter isn't as well known or iconic as Burroughs' other creation, Tarzan.

Is that still the case? There was no mention of Pixar anywhere in that trailer. Looked very much like a Disney movie, even if Pixar happen to be doing the CG for it.

Pixar are not doing the CG for it. That's happening in London at D-Neg and Cinesite mainly and probably a few other shops too that I'm not aware of.

After al;l the reports that the first trailer was underwhelming this pleasantly surprised me. Looks like Stanton is going to leap succesfully over from animation to Live-action.

And Morrius: shit opinion man, this really does look awesome.

Pixar are not doing the CG for it. That's happening in London at D-Neg and Cinesite mainly and probably a few other shops too that I'm not aware of.

Well, whatever they are doing, the trailer was all Disney and no Pixar.

What is actually going on in the trailer?

It doesn't do a very good job of imparting the premise.

Surprised you all think it looks good, the acting looks bad, production looks garish and hokey, CG alien near the end looks terrible etc. Looks like Green Lantern with cowboys or something.

I do love Stanton though, maybe not knowing the source material makes this look bad.

What is actually going on in the trailer?

That kind of felt like the point. I've not read the books so I took away the following:

• Oh, his uncle is missing
  • No he's not, he's in the desert!
  • AHA! He's going to be a warrior king
  • Ooh, pretty lady
  • Magic mystery
  • What...the...SPACESHIPS!
  • ALIENS
  • He's FUCKING FLYING
  • Prince Of Persia was shit.

Surprised you all think it looks good, the acting looks bad, production looks garish and hokey, CG alien near the end looks terrible etc. Looks like Green Lantern with cowboys or something.

I do love Stanton though, maybe not knowing the source material makes this look bad.

Having read a few of the books, it's not hard to sum up really. John Carter is an Earthman who likes a good scrap. Ends up on Mars by accident. Is somehow immortal for no apparent reason. Can leap huge distances, because his earth muscles are super strong in the gravity of Mars. Falls in love with a hot martian princess. Loads of other people want to take over Mars, and get a piece of the princess' hot ass. John Carter saves the day. Nails the princess.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Blimey!

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=23065&count=0#ixzz1abFrd9sA

Now comes word that Disney definitely would like to move forward with a sequel, but only if the first film is successful, really successful. "'John Carter' will have to earn about $700 million to justify a sequel," said an insider. That would mean that the film would have end up being among 50 highest-grossing movies of all time, above "Wall-E" and "Iron Man." And it would have to do almost twice as much business as another recent Disney sci-fi film, "Tron Legacy," which grossed $400 million and is considered a hit.

Sounds like they REALLY don't want to commit to a sequel and so are setting the bar unreasonable high. Like "Yeah, you can have my bag of Fruit Salads but only if you go and knock on the door of old Mrs Gumbles without getting savaged by her rottweiler." "Uh...no, I don't want them THAT much."

• 1 month later...