Anti-climatic gaming

Gabe

Zelda Wind Waker. Oh, was I looking forward to this. Wasn't too keen on the graphics but it looked nice enough and OH YES a real next-gen Zelda after the marvels of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. It's been such a long time.

And from the first minute in I thought it was CRAP. No progress in gameplay or storytelling at all, the graphics were OK'ish but didn't fit for me and the leveldesign was miles below that of the N64 games. As a Zelda whore I thought something was wrong with me or that I maybe outgrew the series or something. I tried and tried it again a couple of times, but I just couldn't get along with it.

However, Twilight Princess was great (didn't finish it by a long shot yet, but at least I enjoyed what I played so far a lot) and currently I'm totally stuck in Phantom Hourglass. So apparantly the formula still works for me even after a dud in the series.

So yes, I think that was the biggest anticlimax in gaming for me.

Words are lost on me to express how wrong you are...

The ending of Wind Waker was anything but an anti climax in particular (I'm convieniently ignoring the the treasure hunt but here - even if it was far from game breaking).

Then, on closer inspection, the layers came away and I was left with a self-indulgent wankfest that had none of the balls 'n' brilliance of Frequency.

I kind of agree, although I never really got sucked into the hype and thought never much more of Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero 2 that it was just good fun to play and that the concept worked really well. But overall I rate Frequency much higher. Guitar Hero is more fun as escapism 'air guitar' gaming, but Frequency has way more depth and better tunes (well, I don't really like rock all that much so...)

Words are lost on me to express how wrong you are...

I just didn't like it. I didn't feel anything for the game but impatience and irritation. It felt like a chore.

As I said, I'm a big Zelda whore and love most of the games, but WW left me completely cold. Believe me when I say that I really wanted to like it.

When I sold my Cube and most games, I kept WW though, so I might give it another shot on the Wii sometime.

Based on the recent 1up.com show it seems like Phantom hourglass, is a bit same old same old. Despite the new control scheme.

They do say its good though.

They're totally wrong. Well, not totally wrong. It's still very much a Zelda game and despite the new controls it's not close to being a total reinvention of the series, but to say that it's just a by the number Zelda with different controls is just wrong. Whereas Twilight Princess felt exactly like a totally safe, unoriginal entry into the series, Phantom Hourglass is completely refreshing. It's amazing that the only changes to the formula they had bothered to mention were the lack of heart pieces and the map notation.

Killer 7.

I thought Gears of War was a bit shit as well.

Yeah. Weird eh?

During that time i'd been playing STALKER which had impressed me for many reasons - mainly the games openness and ambience so the whole gung ho thing was a bit lame.

I'm not convinced with 'Pekinpah' gameplay, truth be told.

I enjoyed R6 Vegas though - mainly because i simply prefered the weapons and modern setting.