The Amiga "10 Star" Pack

Hardwired

Just browsing ATF, and somebody was asking about Russian words and their pronounciation. The first thing that came into my mind was the phrase "Starfighter Ready!" from the old Amiga game Insanity Fight.

Of course, I couldn't remember what the game was called, so I went Googling for it, and eventually found the list of games I got with my Amiga. This was apparently known as the "10 Star" pack, although mine also came with Batman The Movie.

Rose tinted specs and all that, but some of the 10 Star games were superb! Wizball! Barbarian! And... er... Insanity Fight! Damnit, now I've got the theme tune from Inasnity Fight in my head (Insanity Fight! Da dada da daaaaaaaaaaa! Insanity Fight! Da dat da daaaaaaaaaaa!).

The full list of games was:

1. Amegas

2. The Art Of Chess

3. Barbarian (Palace)

4. Buggy Boy

5. Ikari Warriors

6. Insanity Fight

7. Mercenary: Escape From Targ & The Second City

8. Terrorpods

9. Thundercats

10. Wizball

Strangely I have no recollection of playing Terrorpods, Thundercats or Mercenary, although I can picture the cases quite clearly.

So, what did you get with your miggy? I'm sure this was around the boom time for the Amiga, so I can't have been the only one from here to end up with this pack.

Wasn't it Silica who sold their Amigas with the 10 Star Pack?

You're right about the titles - some real quality there. I must have spent hours on Amiga versions of Wizball, Barbarian, Mercenary and Buggy Boy.

I got my Amiga in November 1990 with the new 'Shadow of The Beast 2', 'Night Breed', 'Back to The Future 2' and 'Deluxe Paint' bundle.

It's a selection from the days when the Amiga hadn't quite broken away from the 8bit era, lots of spangly versions of 8bit games there. Rose-tinted is right, I suspect most of them are probably not worth the time now, wouldn't want to ruin teh good memories.

The name rings a bell, yeah. I seem to remember them having huge red adverts in all the Amiga mags.

I think I might have got Deluxe Paint with mine as well. I definitely had a copy, and I can't imagine that I would have bought it. Although it was pretty useful for creating those Amos sprites!

My first was an A600, must have been Cartoon Classics as it came with Captain Planet (terrible) and Bart vs the Space Mutants (I remember being blown away by the intro to that!).

I think we bought it from a computer shop called Hobbyte. Don't know if it was a chain or not, but this one was in Luton.

They supplied us with loads of disks of PD stuff and that was what I spent most of my time playing at Christmas... mainly Drip and Megaball 3.

Happy days! :D

I got an Amiga 600 called the Wild Weird and Wicked pack with Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix (fantastic), Putty (great game although I never finished it) and Pushover (pretty good) plus the obligatory deluxe paint.

Thundercats was utterly shit as I remember but that didn't stop me playing it.

Commodore were renowned for producing the shittiest packs possible :D

Occasionally you would get a game amongst the dross that was quite playable, but did nothing to show off the machine's capability. (Deluxe Paint was amust, though.)

It's no wonder the bundled games were overlooked in favour of Xcopy 3 and your mate's stack of the latest releases.

Strangely I have no recollection of playing ... Thundercats ...

It's amazing how quickly the mind forgets pain.

I think we got the Screen Gems pack, including the fabulous Night Breed, awesome Days of Thunder, stupendous BTTF2 and magnificent Shadow of the Beast 2. :D

There's a good site here with info on all the Amiga bundles available: http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/bundles.html

Ooh, I got the same pack as Hazelby. :wacko:

There was another pack that was given away for a few years by one of the big distributors. I was trying to remember as many games that were in it as possible a little while ago. All I remember now was it had Shufflepuck Cafe, Tower of Babel and a text-based adventure called Dungeon Quest or something like that.

I got the Screen Gems pack too, and hated all the games except Shadow of the Beast 2, which once you put the cheat mode in, actually became an enjoyably easy arcade-adventure. The only game ever invented that was improved by inputting the cheat mode? The arcade bits were ridiculously hard, I don't remember any of my friends being able to survive more than a few screens without it. But once you put it in, the puzzles and scenery were enjoyable, and it was still a challenge because if you fuck up the puzzles you still lost the game, even though you were invincible.

I got my machine from a company called Bits 'n' Bytes. They put some interesting games in their package, I remember Xenophone and Tintin on the Moon being good fun. It also had the first ever game by Bullfrog which was a shoot-em-up, the name of which I can't remember, and what must have been the first game to use HAM graphics, which was called Pioneer Plague. It only used 4096 colours for a few static images and the game itself was very confusing, skipping between game styles and using some other interesting graphics techniques for an into-the-screen subgame. It came with all sorts of confusing laminated star charts and things in the box, which I never had a clue how to use.

There was a Psygnosis game as well, which was a sort of future sports game, where you had to move the ball around the pitch by firing at it, from a sprite controlled by the mouse.

Batman The Movie Pack FTW!

That's the one I had, also included The New Zealand Story, FA/18 Interceptor and Deluxe Paint. I think that was still sufficiently early in the Amiga's life that the 8-bits were still dominating. All the guys in my school wanted to come home to see the Amiga!

I remember being amazed when I upgraded to 1MB that FA/18 suddenly had all these new sounds added to it! :(

Ikari Warriors was quite terrible but I eagerly completed it nonetheless. Whenever I find myself looking down on the gaming tastes of today's young I just think back to that many of the games I played when younger were, in retrospect, utter shite.

I didn't get anything with my Amiga, as I recall. One disk with X-Copy on it provided all the games I needed, though amusingly I very much look down on such shennanigans these days.

Commodore were renowned for producing the shittiest packs possible :rolleyes:

I was always of the opinion that although the packs featured one or two crappy titles, they always had one or two great games in there, too.

I reckon the best packs were:

Flight of Fantasy (http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/flightfantasy.html)

and

The Batman Pack (http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/a500batman.html)

Looking back, the Screen Gems (http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/screengems.html) pack I got was pretty awful compared to the above two packs, but I loved Shadow of The Beast 2 for the music.

I think Jammy's right. Beast 2 was actually better with the cheat (Ten pints) than without. Without the cheat it really is impossible to get beyond a few screens. I think you needed to walk left a few screens, across a bridge with piranhas jumping at you, and then make your way down a shaft in the rocks. It's at this point you get attacked by millions of bats and quickly die.

With the cheat you finally get the chance to explore, soak in the atmosphere, enjoy the music, and get stuck into the lovely puzzles. However, I remember getting miles into the game, falling down a hole and having to re-boot as my character wouldn't die.

Happy days.

Yeah i got this pack too back in the day - and more recentkly of the trading folder here :rolleyes:. Lots of fun... most played was:

1. Amegas

3. Barbarian (Palace)

4. Buggy Boy

5. Ikari Warriors

9. Thundercats

Ah... buggy boy.... and 2 player co-op ikari warrios was soo much fun. Glad i managed to get it back :P

You're right about the titles - some real quality there. I must have spent hours on Amiga versions of Wizball, Barbarian, Mercenary and Buggy Boy.

I got my Amiga in November 1990 with the new 'Shadow of The Beast 2', 'Night Breed', 'Back to The Future 2' and 'Deluxe Paint' bundle.

Yeah it was Silica

I had the pack too...

Ah memories

Hmm I had a A500+ Cartoon Classic Amiga.

I actually really like Captain Planet. Well I really liked the first level (Wheelers) but later on the game got incredibly hard.

Simpsons was really cool.

Lemmings was "the underdog". Didnt think much of it at first, but played it so much...

I got a big pack of amiga games, i dont know if they were silica (the amiga was bought from a shop)

Kid Gloves 2

Shuflepuck Cafe

E-Motion

and about 8 more. nothing too amazing. These were my favorites.

Ah, Shufflepuck Cafe.

Remember the telekinetic woman contestant, who moved the puck with the power of her mind? The direction of the puck depended on the noise she made - I managed to work it out, but my brother couldn't. As he continued to get completely thrashed by her, I taunted him until he grabbed me and beat me up. :rolleyes:

I feel like a spy, because I was an ST guy. :rolleyes:

I had the Super Pack, which had some similar games.

Arkanoid II

Beyond The Ice Palace

Black Lamp

Buggy Boy

Chopper X

Eddie Edwards Super Ski

Genesis

Ikari Warriors

Marble Madness

Quadralien

Ranarama

Roadwars

Seconds Out

Starquake

Summer Olympiad

Test Drive

Thrust

Thundercats

Wizball

Zynaps

Xenon

Happy memories.

Our first Amiga was my Dad's A500, which he bought because he liked the look of Populous, so that must have been 89/90. I can't remember what else he got with it. He then bought me an A1200 when it was released, though because we had so many games by that point I don't remember getting anything notable with it. I do remember all my friends being jealous because they'd generally been bought a 500+/600.

The only pack I remember was Oscar, Diggers, Wing Commander and Body Blows with my CD32. Luckily, I'd also ordered Liberation, so that made up for it.