The Amiga "10 Star" Pack

Hardwired

Oscar. Pretty much a generic Platform game. But it had a serious bug. If you completed the level, you generally had to wait a good minute or so to "tally" up your score. However, if you pressed the fire button (well Amigas really only had one button) then it stopped adding up your score and went to next level. What a bug..

Body Blows was an waful game. Generally most amiga fighters were crap though.

Remember buying my first amiga magazine - amiga format i think. Had a demo of "knightmare" and included some mario bros arcade rip off called doodys or something. Was fun though.

I was always of the opinion that although the packs featured one or two crappy titles, they always had one or two great games in there, too.

I reckon the best packs were:

Flight of Fantasy (http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/flightfantasy.html)

and

The Batman Pack (http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/a500batman.html)

I had the Flight of Fantasy pack! Cheers for reminding me of the name, Rob, I had completely forgotten what it was called. Looks like I'm the only one in the thread to get this! Plus everyone I knew back in the day bought their packs from town and got the Batman pack, or from Silica which (if memory serves) never carried the FoF pack.

I'm pretty sure I had to search the shops with my Mum to find the FoF pack. It was the only pack (from memory) where every game was really good.

There was another pack that was given away for a few years by one of the big distributors. I was trying to remember as many games that were in it as possible a little while ago. All I remember now was it had Shufflepuck Cafe, Tower of Babel and a text-based adventure called Dungeon Quest or something like that.

I got those three games, as well as a few others - a Defender clone, along with Barbarian and more. They were in boxes that were like cassette tape boxes but bigger, and they had yellow writing on a black background on the spine.

I feel like a spy, because I was an ST guy. :o

I had the Super Pack, which had some similar games.

Arkanoid II

Beyond The Ice Palace

Black Lamp

Buggy Boy

Chopper X

Eddie Edwards Super Ski

Genesis

Ikari Warriors

Marble Madness

Quadralien

Ranarama

Roadwars

Seconds Out

Starquake

Summer Olympiad

Test Drive

Thrust

Thundercats

Wizball

Zynaps

Xenon

Happy memories.

I had that!!!!! Man, they gave a shedload of games away with that pack, didn't they? And they were pretty much all bastard hard; I think the only ones I ever completed were Test Drive and Marble Madness. Quadralien and Beyond the Ice Palace I remember as being especially mind-bogglingly difficult, with the latter game becoming literally impossible as soon as you got as far as some vertically moving platforms.

Return to Genesis was probably the hardest obscure mouse-controlled Uridium knockoff ever made, as well.

I had that!!!!! Man, they gave a shedload of games away with that pack, didn't they? And they were pretty much all bastard hard; I think the only ones I ever completed were Test Drive and Marble Madness. Quadralien and Beyond the Ice Palace I remember as being especially mind-bogglingly difficult, with the latter game becoming literally impossible as soon as you got as far as some vertically moving platforms.

Return to Genesis was probably the hardest obscure mouse-controlled Uridium knockoff ever made, as well.

Yeah, Christmas 1988 was truly a great one.

You're right - they were tough back then, but I perservered much more than I would now. I managed to complete Beyond the Ice Palace, Buggy Boy and Xenon, and got pretty close on a few others, such as Wizball.

As for Return to Genesis...grrr! Start, move, die, start, move, die. I don't think you could even see what killed you. It was probably my least played game. And I can't imagine how anyone could complete a game like Arkanoid II without cheats. Even with infinite lives I gave up simply because I died so many times without progressing I got bored.

And what I would have done to have this all those years ago.

I got my Amiga in November 1990 with the new 'Shadow of The Beast 2', 'Night Breed', 'Back to The Future 2' and 'Deluxe Paint' bundle.

That's the same one I got (from Cole Brothers in Sheffield on Hire Purchase :o). I still have it up in the loft. Shadow of the Beast II at least looked nice, but BTF2 and Night Breed were complete shit. Luckily, providing a box of blank disks to someone at work soon boosted the fun levels...

WTF was night breed all about? I kinda liked the game, but we never got past more than 5-10 mins!

I remember you drove around and went t some graveyard and you had to run away or something? then we always died. fun.

It was based on a film that came out at about the same time:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100260/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightbreed

Like you, I had absolutely no idea what the game was about as I hadn't even heard of the film, and didn't find anything else out about until a decade later!

WTF was night breed all about? I kinda liked the game, but we never got past more than 5-10 mins!

I remember you drove around and went t some graveyard and you had to run away or something? then we always died. fun.

I didn't have a clue either.

But I did work out that the way to win that running away bit... was to put the joystck on auto-fire. Worked every time. No idea why.

When you did that, you just got a crappy platform bit with rubbish graphics, animation and controls, which I never finished I don't think. Really wasn't worth the effort.

Mine was the screen gems bundle. It came with another compilation though, can't remember what is was called. The only games I remember being in it were Shufflepuck Cafe, Microprose Soccer, Powerplay and Grand Monster Slam. There were others but it was a long time ago. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Batman The Movie Pack FTW!

I had that pack too! Although it was second hand, and I only played it once because I hated it compared to the spectrum version, which I thought was ace. I only really bought it for It Came from the Desert though, which is still amazing and easily the game I played most on the Amiga. Well, that or sensible world of soccer.

My 1200 came with the mighty Oscar* and the even more majestic* Dennis The Menace! Good thing my borther went and bought Arcade pool and we had mates who had games to borrow.

*I'mm joking obviously, they were two of the worst games i've ever played who ever made that bundle should have the arsehole used as a disk drive

I do believe Dennis the menace was actually uncompletable. I wouldnt even be surprised if it wasn't finished.

Late in the game, there is an impossible jump. I don't know if they fixed it, but from what I heard back at the time the game was rushed and wasn't very good so they assumed most people wouldnt finish it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar pack of games with my ST.

Off the top of my head, there was

Asterix

Onslaught

Skweek

Hard Drivin'

Rick Dangerous

Trivial Pursuit

Live and Let Die

...and a bunch of others I forget.

They were all rock hard though, and the only game I spent much time playing was Live and Let Die, which I don't even think I completed. Still, it was Bond, and ramping off logs, and skidding up the pyramids at the side of the river was fun. Ish.

I was a bit late to the 16-bit computer scene, and I ended up getting an STE.

It was the pack that came with a platform game where you were a cat, and you fired a ball of wool to kill the enemies? I think it also came with Final Fight.

Can't remember what the pack was called, or what else came with it?