Super Street Fighter IV (3DS/PS3/X360)

Cyhwuhx

I was touched by that golden SFII feeling of yore last night.

First time online and I was learning Rufus. I mostly always played Ryu in SFII but didn't want to be one of the multitude.

First game was against a Ken. :) I lost the first two rounds but then won the next 3 to seal the match. Once I had got over my initial shock of being online and had worked out the fellows obvious tactics then it wasn't too bad. This person disconnected and so obviously wasn't very impressed.

I then played against a great chap/chapess who was Chun Li. I lost about 18 out of 20. I think some of the rounds were quite close, some I just didn't get anything from at all. I had a lot of fun and was really pleased with the couple of wins I did get (my first win was a real air punching moment).

The best thing was that I could really see what I was doing wrong and where my mistakes were (that and my poor 38 year old reflexes).

I'm really enjoying Rufus though and feel that he could hold his own as I get better with him.

Not convinced by the stick (the non TE one). On occasion the stick kept the getting stuck in one direction. Wondering if I should get it swapped (although I guess there is fat chance of that at the moment).

My girlfriend picked up this for the first tiime last night (I started her on Singstar 8 months ago, now she's an Animal Crossing addict with a desire to learn Street Fighter). She rightly pointed out that Akuma cry when he performs his Ultra is 'I like sausages!'.

Having some luck with the 360 pad, though Im still very much a newbie. Pulling off ultras with far more frequency now.

Ah ha do ken!

My BuntAkuma training is going well! (for me at any rate) and I am now up to normal challenge 5. I know this is not very good but I love the challenge of trying to emulate these crazy combos - massive grin during and air punch hazaaring when I finish one :)

Able and Cammy are great fun to play as and will try and learn a few moves for them.....any excuse to look at Cammy's bottom..........mmmmmmmmmmm..... :)

I found El Fuerte's charge kick a bit odd - it was only coming out in combos if I held back when releasing it. You can charge it and keep the kick button pressed while you do punches or whatever but it seemed flaky on release unless I was holding back.

I'm not getting nearly enough time to play this, been working my way through the trials some of which I'm really struggling with. Some of the cancels need mad timing. The TEs button config has PPP and KKK on the grey buttons and I've found these really handy for example if cancelling out from a move to an EX special e.g. MP > EX Special I'd hit the MP and piano onto the PPP/KKK for the ex special, much quicker but probably a bad habit. Once I'm past the cancels the combos and link moves are generally much easier to do.

Hope to play some of you lot soon.

I had to delete my save of this on Sunday as it wasn't recording my time spent on the game, it swas just stuck at 9999:99. Consequently I lost all my emblems and icons, wins/losses. I had shitloads of them too. Bit gutted they weren't tied to my achievements etc.

I had to know how much time I'd been on it though.

does anyone know what the button input is for the El Fuerte challenge where you have to Jump Fierce Punch stand Fierce and then it asks to charge kick, before soing his super? I have no idea what to do here, some of these are vague. Whats the charge kick?

I'm not 100% if this is what you're asking but if you press select whilst on challenges it will give you the button inputs as opposed to just the names of the moves.

Having played this absolutely non-stop for the past week or so, I've discovered that there's no better fighter than Sagat. My god, he's an absolute beast.

Unless Gouken is better (haven't unlocked him yet), I'll never pick another fighter online.

SFA3_Gen.jpg

We shall see... mwahahaha

I've been trying Rose online. I haven't won once.

I'm probably not the best one to be giving advice as I'm pretty shabby. But I can usually win out with Rose on player matches (not so much on ranked, but I lose a lot of the time in them anyway). I find most of it basic-to-intermediate mindgames with her; your ideal match is to frustrate a fireball spammer into jumping, then pluck them out of the air with an EX soul throw or two (which people -hate-) or her ultra. She's also got a couple of solid combos and normal->cancels that you can surprise people with if they're in close (low mp or low mk, both of which can be cancelled into the spiral move); try using her down-forward and mk slide to get in close.

(fireball tactics: reflect theirs, followed by your own fireball, EXing it up occassionally. gets a poor shoto player bunnyhopping in no time!)

1) forcing the opponent onto the right side of the screen, and seeing if that affects their game

Yes its really does effect my game :) go into getoutofthecorner mode

Sounds like the backdash is a good general purpose escape move for people hounding you as you get up - does it have any invincible frames?

One cool thing my mate does is when i do crsty guile - try to pin em down with a sonic boom - focus charge it then backdash to get aout the way - its pretty effective :)

I've been trying Rose online. I haven't won once.

Aside from what jonny_rat says a good one is from distance a light soul spark - its slow so if they beguin to start to block it just dash in right after you use it - attamept a hard sweep as it connects or just as its about to connect or go in for a throw.

She has some easy combos too - jump in hard punch Standing hard punch (or craouching) and then a Reflect (hard) or that kick one hard.

her ultra is fantastic, if anyone jumps in towards you just throw it out - it'll hit if timed roughly

Having played this absolutely non-stop for the past week or so, I've discovered that there's no better fighter than Sagat. My god, he's an absolute beast.

Unless Gouken is better (haven't unlocked him yet), I'll never pick another fighter online.

Gouken is great fun, but he's no Sagat

The only weakness at all I can find with Big S is his slow walking speed..

Can't wait to buy this.

I played HDR the other day for the first time, at a mate's.

I used to play a lot, but was still a bit cautious about online against the unwashed multitude.

I shouldn't have worried - I picked my third choice (Sagat) and embarrassed everyone I played against. I didn't even move to my first choice, Ken (I know, sorry :) ) or it would have been humiliation.

Just gotta sell some stuff to fund it... nrrgh. See sig ;p

I started playing properly as Guile last night having never really bothered with charge characters, and I had a great time. I managed to win 5 matches in a row, which for me (not being an SF god) was hugely satisfying. I've started to get into the flow of pre-charging his Flash Kick/Sonic Boom and crushed a couple of ken and Akuma players with seemingly unexpected Flash Kicks and Guiles hard back-fist punch. I really need to memorise the standard kicks/punches so that I've got those down.

There don't seem to be many people playing as charge characters: I've not played against Guile, Chun-Li or Honda. It was only when playing Raf the other night (great games by the way dude, your Ryu is very tough and it was nice to switch about on various characters I've never used - like my laughable Cammy) that I've encountered anyone playing as Blanka.

I'm not finding the 360 pad too much trouble with Shotos and Guile, although I'm considering getting a Fightpad. I had an EX2 just after Christmas that I couldn't get used to at all on HDR. Perhaps the Fightpad would make Ultras easier to pull off because those and Specials are the moves causing me the most grief at the moment?

Regarding the Focus corner trap, I posted a couple of days ago about a Cammy player who whipped me using that very technique. I forgot to Recover/Tech when I fell and he just kept battering me.

What's everyone doing for player matches? Setting up a game and then just firing out invites to people on the RLLMUKSFIV tag and their Friends list?