Super Street Fighter IV (3DS/PS3/X360)

Cyhwuhx

I'm sitting at about 800bp with my highest being 1000bp. Last night start Ken V Ken ranked match with a guy sooo much better. He perfected me the first round and I got one hit in the next.

At the end of the match found out he had 4700bp!!! Before that the best i'd saw was about 2K

On the plus side I only lost 1 bp and he only gained 1. God knows what I'd have got if i beat him.

Yeah the most common setup is LK - HK - Ultra. Piece of piss once you have the timing down but getting the HK to connect on smaller opponents like Sakura is a bit tricky.

I just love that air-to-air HK -> EX Snake Strike. Such fucking huge damage. If you're in the right place you can tack the Ultra on to the end for a three-move combo that does 75% damage, it's insane. Did it the other day online and I may have actually wet myself a bit. Fucking amazing.

:) I can imagine how amazing that would be.

Do you know about Option Select? Basically you mash the throw buttons while blocking low, you'll either keep blocking, tech the opponent's throw, get a throw in yourself or just poke low. When I cross up I mix it up between going into a combo or going straight for the throw - in those cases option select will help enormously.

I think I've got that right anyway, perhaps one of the more knowledgeable sorts could clear it up for us.

But going back to following up the overhead, I think because of the distance you were doing it from you're not close enough to follow up - Ken can get away with it because f.MK and cr.MK have such great range but Sakura's little ladylegs aren't up to it. So I'd suggest doing it from a little closer in, or following it with a jumpin or crossup.

That's some good advice. I do option select sometimes on wakeup, but I never thought about using it for jump in throws!

Regarding the overhead, I tend to do it from a bit far away as I am scared of wakeup reversals from Ken, because if I'm much closer I would usually tempt a srk to the face. Is that an irrational fear?

Regarding the overhead, I tend to do it from a bit far away as I am scared of wakeup reversals from Ken, because if I'm much closer I would usually tempt a srk to the face. Is that an irrational fear?

Sort of, because if the kick reaches me - which it obviously does because it connects - then I can SRK it anyway.

I got my TE stick! Had to drive 25 miles to a GameStop in Fort Myers, but they had two of them, brand new and sealed. I was tempted to pick up both of them to sell one off at a profit, but I didn't want to be a jerk.

:)

Well done- now admire how big, heavy and sexy the fucker is. Feels like a fat girl giving you a lapdance- in a good way

No doubt this has been asked before but... I'm a total SF IV noob and am struggling to improve beyond my basic SF II Turbo novice ability.

Challenge mode. Stuff like Sakura's MP into Hadoken and Ken's HK into Hadoken... What is the time for these? The onscreen stuff implies that as soon as the hit connections, I should input a Hadoken but it doesn't seem to work! Is this just me not being quick enough with Hadokens or is there a "trick"?

But I think the Turbo thing is broken :)

Is it supposed to light up when I push the button? Nothing happens.

Hold the button you want turbo'd down. Then hit the turbo button. It will light up.

Theres two levels of turbo- fast and super fast

No need to use them though- and it's naughty :D (it did help me with Sagat fake kick trial though)

I'm a fighting game newb also and the way I approached these was: If in doubt, try to be as goddam fast as you possibly, possibly can.

It seems to be effective most of the time. :)

Don't think about it too hard either, if you try and remeber it in your head and then put it out the through process alone will slow you up enough for it to fail. Memorise the motion beforehand or before you start in your head and then just keep pumping it out with as little thought as possible- eventually it'll become muscle memory.

Eventually :D

I got my TE stick! Had to drive 25 miles to a GameStop in Fort Myers, but they had two of them, brand new and sealed. I was tempted to pick up both of them to sell one off at a profit, but I didn't want to be a jerk.

:D

You are a bastard and I want to punch that stupid christmas fish around it's face! :)

I'm starting to get sick of Ken.

Tonight was my first endless Ken fest. I wouldn't mind so much but some of his priorities are fucked up. I had one guy down to nothing, I had about an inch left on my bar. I had him trapped and turtling, so I thought I'd let my ultra loose on him (Cammy obv) and chip KO him. Nope. Apparently a shoryuken beats an ultra.

The guy even sent me a message apologizing about it because it looked so broken when it happened.

That happens a lot. I've knocked Akuma out of his DIE ONE THOUSAND DEATHS nonsense with a Sumo Headbutt loads of times. I think there's a split second at the start of an Ultra where you're still vulnerable to counterattack. Or maybe I'm talking bollocks.

That happens a lot. I've knocked Akuma out of his DIE ONE THOUSAND DEATHS nonsense with a Sumo Headbutt loads of times. I think there's a split second at the start of an Ultra where you're still vulnerable to counterattack. Or maybe I'm talking bollocks.

No you are right, but is different for each ultra. It's a case of learning it. But I try to get the fuck out the way and hit them on the down time.

I was playing against a Balrog with Fuerte earlier, and I stuffed his ultra with a crouching light kick. I don't know which of us was more surprised.
No you are right, but is different for each ultra. It's a case of learning it. But I try to get the fuck out the way and hit them on the down time.

Snowbind speaks the truth; most of the ultras have an easy method to either get away from them or knock the opponent out of them. Most of the standing ones can be knocked out with a simple crouching jab, at the right moment - and a released focus move can knock through a lot of them too.

The worst thing is when you and someone else decide to do an ultra at around the same time. I lost a game yesterday because I tried to pull off Abel's ultra against Ryu to go through a fireball, as I knew from the bloke's pattern he was going to go for it. I started doing the motion and just the instant before I pressed the three punches at the end, my opponent went into the Ultra Fireball. I still finished the motion but my Ultra didn't come out, and I didn't have enough health to weather the chipping damage. I could have jumped it, of course, but I didn't react quick enough as I only realised during his animation that it was his ultra and not mine.

Those ones you just have to chalk up to experience.

Other people have explained knocking out of Ultras before (protip: SRK!)

but in the case of Akuma - any attack will knock him out of a Raging Demon.

Don't think about it too hard either, if you try and remeber it in your head and then put it out the through process alone will slow you up enough for it to fail. Memorise the motion beforehand or before you start in your head and then just keep pumping it out with as little thought as possible- eventually it'll become muscle memory.

Eventually :)

This makes sense. I've found I often pull of stuff like MP into Hadoken with Sakura when I'm just in the middle of a fight and not thinking about it. The practice is definitely doing me good.

I also find Blanka's challenges much easier than any of the Ryu-A-Likes. I used to hate charge characters but I was playing random player matches last night with him and I think I've found my character.

This is probably a really stupid question, but is it possible to do the inputs for a combo too quickly? I've been trying to do Dhalsim's combos on the challenge mode and I just can't do them, his moves seem quite slow so I'm wondering if there's a point that I need to wait for on the first move before doing the next move (medium kick to yoga blast is the first one, I've done it once before but am still having problems doing it again).

This is probably a really stupid question, but is it possible to do the inputs for a combo too quickly? I've been trying to do Dhalsim's combos on the challenge mode and I just can't do them, his moves seem quite slow so I'm wondering if there's a point that I need to wait for on the first move before doing the next move (medium kick to yoga blast is the first one, I've done it once before but am still having problems doing it again).

For that particular combo with Dhalsim, it's a cancel move, but with a special variable:

B+MK, HCB+LP

You can vary Dhalsim's regular attacks by either pressing the button with the control in neutral/forward (long attack), or pressing back (short attack). This also applies to mid-air attacks.

This makes sense. I've found I often pull of stuff like MP into Hadoken with Sakura when I'm just in the middle of a fight and not thinking about it. The practice is definitely doing me good.

I also find Blanka's challenges much easier than any of the Ryu-A-Likes. I used to hate charge characters but I was playing random player matches last night with him and I think I've found my character.

You finding the m punch>hadoken a decent poking combo? Can you link mp to ex tatsu?

Be careful. Going down the road of muscle memory can lead to big problems later on when you play against people with good defensive skills. You need to do the MP, then WATCH to see if it's blocked, then the Hadoken - otherwise if they block it, and you do both moves, you're setting yourself up for a sweep.