Super Street Fighter IV (3DS/PS3/X360)

Cyhwuhx

Hope it gets sorted out soon man, it's a beautiful piece of kit. Anyway, even with the quick disconnects, there's always the chance that it's the soldering or something else that's buggered, so it probably wouldn't be that easy to fix anyway...

Man, for £100, I'm almost tempted to pick up a spare!

Hehe - well in fairness to Amazon my replacement arrived super fast and works fine! Except I keep jumping backwards when trying to do Chun Li's ultra :'( It's so sensitive :lol:

How long is the gap gonna be before another league? I wanna get my Rufus out there against you people!

Also, for some reason i find E.Honda to be really, really difficult as Rufus; any of you Honda players fancy telling me your weak points?

I played Walnut Lawyer earlier, is he from here? The name sounded familiar.

any of you Honda players fancy telling me your weak points?

I'm not Honda expert, but I would say that Honda's primary method of winning is applying pressure. If a Honda player can always be on the offense, keep the opponent on the back foot, and quickly turn their own defensive situations into offensive actions (turning the tables on their opponent) then they can always expect to win.

The trick to fighting a Honda is not to fight on their terms - make Honda fight on yours. Funnel them into predictable attacks. Vary your wakeups and play mind games with them. Don't offer them easy hits. Use distance carefully and maximise on their mistakes.

Another possibility is that Honda lacks the damage through guard in IV that he had in spades in HDR. If you're good enough, work up your throw avoidance game and blocking game; go up against them toe-to-toe and let them use their pressure game, and beat it through sheer skill and finesse. A pressure player can get frustated easily in this kind of situation, when put up against an impenetrable defense; watch for when it happens - you'll see them snap, they'll throw out something "creative" and that's when you kick the shit out of them.

This is what I do with Abel.

Bloody hell, G2 is a hell of a step up from G3. Although saying that, I just got to my first final and after being perfected in the first round I almost took the win! Presumably there's hardly any Cammy's around for people to practice against, plus I've got some nice wakeup shenanigans going on now I've added her slightly dicey crossup into the arsenal :lol:

I play Cammy

just got to G2 a couple of weeks ago. Honestly it just feels like more of the same, but annoyingly now I come up against the odd player that knows exactly how to handle Cammy :hat: it's nice beating guys with around 14000 points when I only have 3000.

I play Cammy

just got to G2 a couple of weeks ago. Honestly it just feels like more of the same, but annoyingly now I come up against the odd player that knows exactly how to handle Cammy :) it's nice beating guys with around 14000 points when I only have 3000.

You soon realise GP is a weak indicator of skill. At least, that's what I told myself when I was the 14000GP guy losing to the 3000GP folks. :blink:

I made G1 the other week. For me at least, it's definitely a step up. Not gotten further than the 3rd round (out of five?). It's quite fun going up against the skilled players, as when you're not being obliterated it's good playing against others who actually change up and react to what you're doing...however the rest follow the same one note play you've seen before, just with more jab spam. I've seen some devastating Cammys too. Guess wrong on wake-up and you're done. Done.

You know it's like 70000GP to GS rank? You get the same handful of points for a win as in G2 though. Pointless and rubbish.

I ran across our mainest man Infexious in G1 a moment ago. Almost had his Rose, dammit! :hmm:

How long is the gap gonna be before another league? I wanna get my Rufus out there against you people!

Also, for some reason i find E.Honda to be really, really difficult as Rufus; any of you Honda players fancy telling me your weak points?

I played Walnut Lawyer earlier, is he from here? The name sounded familiar.

Thats me, but it wasn't me playing. I thought I recognised the name to.

As much as I love SF and SFIV, the ULTRA moves are really beginning to grate now, especially online. One move that takes half of your fucking health away, gash! Hopefully SFIV Turbo will take this bloody things away!

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

I'd still like them to make EX moves cost different amounts of energy, like in SFIII (because some are better than others), rather than always 1 stock.

Then again I'd also have them get rid of auto-block, auto-facing (get rid of dragon punches that magically change direction; make people CHOOSE and either get it right or get fucked over) and replace the focus system with something allowing for the countering of multiple hits, though perhaps not something as detailed as the parry system (like have multiple focuses cost ultra gauge energy).

None of those things are going to happen though.

I picked up SFIV for PS3 and loaded it up last night.

Do I have a network problem, or is there just nobody playing on PSN? I repeatedly searched for all types of games and just got the message that it couldn't find any!

I'm on GMT+12, so it's a common timezone with Australia and chunks of SE Asia, so I would have thought PSN would be packed. At the same time of day the GFWL/Steam PC network is packed.

Has Sony done something stupid like put the Australia/NZ PSN players on the same servers as Europe and no permit games between regions? If so, this is getting sold pronto and I'll pick up an Asian release.

Something's up with your connection man, I can get games at any time of the day, and servers are definitely not region locked. The only thing I can think of is perhaps you were trying to search ranked and player matches based on skill levels - perhaps there were no other beginners on at the time?

is it considered cheating to map single buttons to LP+MP+HP and LK+MK+HK? I am having serious trouble pulling off those ULTRAS in the heat of the moment online, it always fails me. Pressing all three punch or kick buttons seems very hit and miss IMO.

Took delivery of the PS3 version of the Tournament Stick yesterday, its a serious bit of kit to go alongside the far cheaper Hori Arcade stick. Its serious build quality (apart from the ropey back compartment with its wobbly plastic door). A good price of £90 brand new from MicroDirect, if anyones still interested in it. It was out of stock last week, but I set up an email alert, and for once, it came back in-stock AND I actually got an email! ;)

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Search?f...treet%20fighter

• 2 weeks later...

I got this a while ago. I put an hour into it, but just found it dull, boring, and a bit silly.

I may have made a mistake by playing it alongside the greatest fighting game ever - Fight Night Round 4 - but if I didn't get on with it right away, is it likely that once I've put a few solid hours into it I'll come to love it?

I only ask because my 360 is broken, awaiting repair or replacement. And if it's one that most people loved as soon as they played it, I'd probably be better off getting rid now.

Do you like Streetfighter at all? SFIV is "accessible" in that it's not as complex as some other games in the genre, but if you don't really do 2D fighters it'll still take a fair bit of time and effort to learn it and enjoy it. If the problem was that you didn't know which move to do when, or that you couldn't execute moves on command or that your early attempts at putting a strategy together were met with frustration, then that all comes with time.

However, if you found it dull and boring after an hour's play then it's probably not going to win you over. Pretty much any 2D fighter will only show you a tiny fraction of what it has to offer within the first hour of play, but you will have an idea of the feel of the game and whether or not you find the basic mechanics of it to be any fun. If you don't like it on that fundamental level from the start then it's going to be difficult to overcome that. Personally I couldn't possibly imagine playing Fight Night ahead of SFIV, but it's all subjective and that isn't it.

Do you like Streetfighter at all? SFIV is "accessible" in that it's not as complex as some other games in the genre, but if you don't really do 2D fighters it'll still take a fair bit of time and effort to learn it and enjoy it. If the problem was that you didn't know which move to do when, or that you couldn't execute moves on command or that your early attempts at putting a strategy together were met with frustration, then that all comes with time.

However, if you found it dull and boring after an hour's play then it's probably not going to win you over. Pretty much any 2D fighter will only show you a tiny fraction of what it has to offer within the first hour of play, but you will have an idea of the feel of the game and whether or not you find the basic mechanics of it to be any fun. If you don't like it on that fundamental level from the start then it's going to be difficult to overcome that. Personally I couldn't possibly imagine playing Fight Night ahead of SFIV, but it's all subjective and that isn't it.

I used to be a big fan. I think it was SFII that took a huge chunk of my life away when I was a young'un. But if I'm honest I didn't pay it much mind after that. Can't say why.

Also, in your brief time with SFIV did you only play offline? Cause it's god awful rubbish offline.

Offline only, yes. Is it lag free online then?

I may well just give it another shot. A few hours offline to get to grips with it properly, and then online to see how good it is (and get my arse kicked).

Now, I just have to get my console repaired :wub:

I don't know if any fighting game is entirely lag-free, but SFIV's netcode is sturdy enough that under decent conditions you won't get any noticeable lag at all.

I've played well over 1,000 online matches and only once or twice experienced visible twitchy/slowdown lag. There's always going to be that tiny bit of lag that makes a game play differently online from offline (like how Virtua Fighter 5's almost imperceptible lag can still affect gameplay drastically if you're one of those professional types), but no, nothing invasive.

Offline only, yes. Is it lag free online then?

I may well just give it another shot. A few hours offline to get to grips with it properly, and then online to see how good it is (and get my arse kicked).

Now, I just have to get my console repaired :wub:

On a good connection online is great, not perfect for the hardcore stuff - as always, but fine for normal play. Offline has spammy AI and Seth *shudders*.