Super Street Fighter IV (3DS/PS3/X360)

Cyhwuhx

Do you think that playing online would win anyone over? Its fucking harsh online you know. :lol:

It's tougher online than it was at launch, yes, but playing with a human competitor (online or local) will at least provide a better feel for how the game really plays. You'll either be spurred on to get better or decide it's not for you and move on. I found the offline game restrictive when I first got the game. Especially for practising.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its time to hang up my gloves on the Champ mode, moved up another level (G2-E) and getting regular pastings by complete nutters.

I know they are nutters because its all Ballrog (4 punches and its over) or Sagat, and they have all spent a tenner on the outfits :hat:

Still my game of the year so far.

i considered selling my TE stick the other day but couldn't bring myself to do it. even though everyone is so much better than me at the game, the game is still just so much better than pretty much any other game (let's leave gears of war and geometry wars out of it just for the sake of argument) that i can't help but keep coming back to it for an epic session once every coule of weeks.

Are there any good new vids out there from the past month or two? I fancy watching some pros today for tips. I miss this thread being updated daily :)

Subscribe to this guy - http://www.youtube.com/user/lordaboriginesf4

In other exciting SFIV news, on Tuesday night I finally landed SRK>FADC>Ultra with Ryu in an actual match. Seven months that took :lol: I'll never be good, but I still love this.

I've pretty much fully made the switch from Ken to Rufus now; and I adore playing as the fat riot.

His EX Messiah kick is probably the best thing ever.

Pretty sure I ran into this Rufus last night - mean SoB!!

The damage jumping heavy kick into EX Snake Strike takes the piss!! >_<

Probably lies, but still:

Henaki on the Shoryuken.com message boards mentioned he heard through a friend of a friend of a friend that the 10 new characters for Street Fighter IV Dash (Champion Edition) are:

From Street Fighter 2: Dee Jay and T. Hawk.

From Street Fighter 3: Dudley, Ibuki and Makoto.

From Street Fighter Alpha: Adon, Cody and Guy.

Plus two completely new characters.

He claimed this information would be revealed at, or right around the time the Tokyo Game Show takes place (Sept. 24 - 27).

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/sep/17/...ash-characters/

Mere mention of Ibuki (my favourite 3S character, don't you know) has got me wildly excited and calling BS at the same time. It can't possibly be true...

I've grown bored with the current version of IV so a new one with plenty of changes, characters and lobbies would be cool. I don't think it would have lobbies though :)

For me it would have to some pretty drastic changes before I would get excited about an upgraded SFIV. It would have to be far less defensive, far less emphasis on Ultras and EX moves, a drastic rebalancing of all the characters, completely rework the characters that have suffered the most from their transition to 3D (Blanka, Honda, Claw, etc etc), drastically alter the weight and 'feel' of the characters to remove the floatiness and general sluggishness, and either change the speed or alter the spacing between characters - preferably both. And that's just for starters. I can't begin to imagine how fucked up a character like Ibuki would be in the current SFIV system.

The above post is all imho.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it would have to at least have fucking lobbies OBVIOUSLY.

For me it would have to some pretty drastic changes before I would get excited about an upgraded SFIV. It would have to be far less defensive, far less emphasis on Ultras and EX moves, a drastic rebalancing of all the characters, completely rework the characters that have suffered the most from their transition to 3D (Blanka, Honda, Claw, etc etc), drastically alter the weight and 'feel' of the characters to remove the floatiness and general sluggishness, and either change the speed or alter the spacing between characters - preferably both. And that's just for starters. I can't begin to imagine how fucked up a character like Ibuki would be in the current SFIV system.

The above post is all imho.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it would have to at least have fucking lobbies OBVIOUSLY.

Yep, agree with that but I don't think it would happen. Especially my poor Honda, he's high mid tier in HD Remix! And Vega/Claw is top tier is that too. I don't think you would get changes that drastic though, it wouldn't be SFIV anymore which would alienate the IV audience.

Thing is though, even if the gameplay style didn't change too much I still might get and enjoy it as a second Street Fighter game to mess around with online (IF they were lobbies) but it wouldn't replace Super Turbo for me as my main Street Fighter. I like IV, but only as a distraction to mess around in sometimes as the gameplay doesn't suit me anymore at all.

Actually how drastically did SFIII change until it got to 3rd Strike?

Very drastically, but (iirc) people weren't too enamoured with the first two III efforts and something drastic was needed to please fans and critics alike - then 3rd Strike appeared and all was well in the SF world.* Like you said, IV has a wiling audience and Capcom wouldn't want to alienate them too much, so bringing the next IV more in line with the earlier 2D games in terms of gameplay is never going to happen.

*except for fucking edge of course, who gave 3rd Strike a 6 out 10 becuase it wasn't as good as the first two SFIII games and probably because you couldn't talk to Twelve or Necro :)

The damage jumping heavy kick into EX Snake Strike takes the piss!! >_<

His damage in general is terrifying. It was only the other day when I really noticed how much juice HP XX Galactic Tornado takes off! I still think he is a pretty fair character though as he has enough flaws to his game - unlike Sagat/Ryu who are just strong across the board.

completely rework the characters that have suffered the most from their transition to 3D (Blanka, Honda, Claw, etc etc)

I don't think Blanka or Honda need a complete rework do they? They both seem pretty solid. I think a bit of tinkering with the top and bottom would do the trick. Claw, yes. Guile, yes. Ryu and Sagat, yes.

Some things like the Kara Tiger Uppercut are just ridiculous at the moment.

Not much of a fan of Ultra juggles on trade either as it goes.

I don't think Blanka or Honda need a complete rework do they? They both seem pretty solid. I think a bit of tinkering with the top and bottom would do the trick. Claw, yes. Guile, yes. Ryu and Sagat, yes.

Some things like the Kara Tiger Uppercut are just ridiculous at the moment.

Not much of a fan of Ultra juggles on trade either as it goes.

I dunno. Honda is a bit slower than I would like to call him solid, his butt splash has poor priority from my exp, his ultra is shit, the HHS slap reach is a bit rubbish, I hate the ochio whiff animation. Maybe I just love the HDR/ST version too much

Not in terms of how they work within the current game system and balance of Defence Street Fighter IV itself, but more that those three suffered the most in their transition to 3D and fitting into the playing style of IV. Even the SFEX2 Blanka was far closer to the 2D versions of Blanka than the version found in IV. The moves are all present but far from correct imho, he handles way too sluggish* and his pressure game is completely fucked. IV Blanka is to 2D Blanka what the Lou Ferrigno Hulk was to the comic book Hulk - it's too obvious that it's just a normal guy in green body paint.

Claw also handles too differently (too wrong imo) compared to his 2D versions, his lightning fast poke-a-pokey game is fucked and his wall-drop mix-up game just isn't efficient any more. Same with Honda, he's too sluggish and handles too differently, and with each of these characters they feel far less unique than they did in II, the way the handle in general feeling far closer to the 'standard' (Ryu and Ken) characters than in II - hence my 'it's too obvious that it's just a guy in green body paint' comment.

Maybe I just feel that the characters in IV, and especially these three, don't do their original 2D counterparts justice. Ryu and Ken might be ok imo, Sagat may be too powerful but he's also okay in terms of 'being Sagat' if you know what I mean, but goddammit Blanka just isn't Blanka anymore.

*Edit: to clarify: by sluggish I don't mean that the whole game in general is slow, Street Fighter II: World Warrior is also slower than most SF games, maybe even slower than IV, but it doesn't have that same sluggishness - it still plays very well.

Edit Edit: Also, I don't mean to hate on SFIV and I'm certainly not insinuating that people are wrong for liking or even loving it; to each his own and all that. I just wanted to clarify why, IMO, Blanka, Honda, and Claw would benefit from a complete reworking and rethink for the inevitable sequel.

I dunno man, I think Blanka is more Blankary than he's ever been. Hopping, sliding, ducking and rolling all over the shop, he's crazy.

Agreed though on Vega, what they have done to him is a travesty. All flamboyance has been taken out of Vega's game. He is just boring to play with and against.

I am still at a total loss as to why Vega and Guile got so ruined on the combo front too. Making 1f links pretty much mandatory in all but the most basic of their combos should surely have been rewarded with big damage, but in fact the opposite seems to be true.

Then to top it off they killed the RCF for Vega the FK for Guile and gave them both village Ultras!

Madness.

Some of the fail in this thread is astonishing. For me, SFIV is game of the year by a fucking mile. I can only see Uncharted 2 beating it, or maybe COD:MW2 for the multiplayer crowd...

Well there's a fair bit of criticism on the last several pages, but it's all well justified to be fair. And as much as I agree with you, it being my GoTY so far too there are still valid points to be raised against aspects of it.

It's just another, different Street Fighter game. I don't like HDR much, some people don't like this much.