Too Human

Sabreman

The sound effect for the money pickup is just like the reveal-o-square sound effect from Catchphrase.

"It's good but it's not right" pretty much sums up Too Human.

Thing is...if you like this type of game it doesn't have to be right.

Combat is also really not what you expect. It's not action/button bashing (really). It's about setting up combos/pushing the stick in directions to slide/avoid attacks/combo...you also have to learn to dodge with b. Generally it's more about timing/planning than attacks.

I tell you what. I can forgive most of this games shortcomings. What I cannot fucking forgive is the fucking death animation. It's like 20 seconds long EACH TIME YOU FUCKING DIE. Which I just did a lot of. And when all you want to do is get into the scrap 20 fucking seconds is a long fucking time.

Funny, that's what the missus said.

Anyroad, it's a well known fact that I'm shit at games, I see 'continue?' screens an awful lot but the simple fact is in this game death is nigh on unavoidable. Saberman sent me a message saying the second section handed his arse to him after the much easier first one, so it's not just me :) There's a lot of things in this game where you have to wonder what the fucking designers were thinking.

Still, I have purkle epixxxxxxxxx to console myself with.

Funny, that's what the missus said.

Anyroad, it's a well known fact that I'm shit at games, I see 'continue?' screens an awful lot but the simple fact is in this game death is nigh on unavoidable. Saberman sent me a message saying the second section handed his arse to him after the much easier first one, so it's not just me :) There's a lot of things in this game where you have to wonder what the fucking designers were thinking.

Still, I have purkle epixxxxxxxxx to console myself with.

I'm fairly sure the 20 seconds death animation was designed for co-op, so you had a penalty for dying while your 3 team mates fought on...

Yeah, I assumed that the death animation was purely to make you wait for a respawn rather than for any technical reason; there's some kind of logic for that in a multiplayer game but if you're playing on your own it's stupid and frustrating. In fact, I know that the game could support instant respawning because it happened to me (once). Near the end of the first level I died when I got penned right into a corner. The death animation started and then, about a second into it, it ended and I respawned straight away. The death animation music continued in the background for the full 20-or-so seconds. It was a brief glimpse into a much better world :)

I'm conflicted about Too Human. It's so rough around the edges that, IMO, it borders on garbage at times. On the other hand, getting new loot and playing about with the equipment is addictive.

Well, after each boss you should go back to the main hub again. Usually it is Feasting Hall or go an visit the NORN's. Look at the maps that are dotted around and it always lists where you need to go to progress. In the end its always the Hangar to head off to your mission.

I must admit, I have not had any terrible glitches yet. A few getting stuck in scenery for a few seconds but no falling through.

Aiming on my Commando can be annoying but you get used to breaking off the target and reacquiring another, pretty each after a while. Just made a Bio-engineer and failed the first 2 challenge rooms :) damn they suck for damage but I hardly took any damage. Made a Berserker and its so different to the Commando style but I still love it.

Is there any way to increase the combo meter beyond 3? Or is it tied to the character class? There's been times when I could have got it much higher but it maxes out at 3.

The Human alignment gives the ability to add another combo level and I think also the Berserker class can gain access too.

(Berserker Skill) A Capacity for Rage at Level 10: Increases maximum combo level.

(Human Alignment) Quick to Anger Level 10: Increases your maximum combo level.

Complete it now. (Level 29, about 11 hours) Doesn't really end well. More like the game "stops" - I kniow it's part of a trilogy, but it could at least try and tell a proper story in 1 game (see: Mass Effect).

Combat, while still ok, really dives in the last two missions. Enemies switch vulnerabilities for no reason. There's a huge annoyance from enemies that ker-plode with little indication of how to safely take out (seem immune to long range weapons?).

Poisioned when you can't really avoid it and it'll take a quater of your health of...no matter what you do. Is not fun.

Also - so many bad choices in this game. Talking is too quiet compared to action? - Ok I'll change the setting. Wait. You have to quit the game to main menu to change settings? Ok. WAIT you can't change sound settings? Fine. I'll put subtitles on. Oh...subtitles on appear in some cutscenes, but not through the gameplay. GAHHH.

I have been back and tried an old level - pleased to see the enemies have leveled up, come in new styles of waves and there's even been a few changes to the maps. Less pleased with the fact you have to do all the silly cyberspace puzzles again.

The game has a feel (as you could guess from the interviews) that the developers love it. They've thought up and designed a really detailed world/character. However it's all in their head. They haven't put it in the game, and they haven't relayed it to the player. It's a game made for the designer to play. The plot (while generally good for me) will bore most players, I think. The writers were obviously getting more out of the plot than I was...and that's never good.

6/10 game (hard to see Co-Op, which I haven't done yet) boosting it much about that.

Pretty much sums up my feelings. It feels like an Alpha build, rather than a Master submission that actually passed. It's riddled with bugs, I didn't get any experience points for defeating the third level boss, for instance. It does some things well, the ability to drop out of the campaign, go back to an older mission, and jump back to where you where in the campaign, for instance. Rarely have I played a game so without point as this though. Generous with achievement points though.

The game has a feel (as you could guess from the interviews) that the developers love it. They've thought up and designed a really detailed world/character. However it's all in their head. They haven't put it in the game, and they haven't relayed it to the player. It's a game made for the designer to play. The plot (while generally good for me) will bore most players, I think. The writers were obviously getting more out of the plot than I was...and that's never good.

I'm still at the start of the second area, but I was surprised to see that the story told in the manual is actually pretty decent compared to most rpgs. In the game itself the cutscenes and dialogue are pretty corny imho, and so far almost nothing of the story as found in the manual has been clearly told, only vaguely hinted at. It's weird, because the game could've been so much better if the devs had been able to properly tell the story with decent cutscenes and maybe some codec section in the pause screen for background info.

There's a huge annoyance from enemies that ker-plode with little indication of how to safely take out (seem immune to long range weapons?)

I just started playing this again, and while I'm still at the start of area 2 like I said in my post above, so far I've taken all exploding/freezing enemies out by using ranged fierce attacks from a distance (both analogue sticks in the same direction, also performs a finisher if you're close to the enemy). Apologies if you already knew this and were talking about something different.

Yeah, Red is the ultra rare epixxxx. As for the Charms, christ only knows. I'm just having giggles fulfilling the requirements of "get 25 hit combo's" and shit.

It's throwing the red items at me though. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that weapons and armour pickups are almost futile, because as soon as you get a new one, it'll be superceded in a few minutes by a better sword/helmet/whatever. I don't think I've used the same weapon for more than 20 minutes.

Ultra rare is a relative term, obv. ^_^ I dunno, I've almost finished area 3 and my gear stays on for a while. To be fair, these type of games are constant loop updating. Diablo II and Titan Quest were the same. Although Diablo II was a much longer game than this so when you got the uber gear it got harder to replace it the further you went. I got some lovely oranges that need crafting, but need to save up some more bounty.

I've got loads or Oranges/Reds (They're the highest right?) You seem to get them for seeking out pillars in the later missions.

I'm still using my Red Armour set 9 levels above it. Totally awesome.

If you're using blueprints/one weapon type (e.g. I'm 1-handed swords/dual pistols only) you wont replace weapons that often. If you're switching to the "strongest dropped" you'll be changing quite often.

I seem to have reached an impass, level four just after

the dog battle

, I saved and quit. Now when I load up im at the round area where the

dog

was but the door im pretty sure i need to go through wont open, ive looked all round but can see nothing ive missed and nowher else to go.

I tried going back to base, off story so to speak and selected the same level and completed it via the map warp thing, killing

Freya (i think thats her name, daughter of Loki anyways)

but when I go to continue story I still get the same locked door problem.

I dont think theres anyway to go back to an earlier save, so i have to start again, abandoning my lvl29 champion wigth the funky cloak/shoulders and epix.

I was really enjoying it too, apart from the fact that for a 'god' i die an awful lot.