Phase: Your Music Is The Game

The Mighty Ash

This is a great/obvious idea that lots of ppl have wanted to do for ages. It's a surefire winner, and I'm surprised it hasnt been done already...although apparently beat recognition technology and all that shiz is quite processor-intesive, such is the reason behind it not appearing before.

It could be a gold mine though...

Sounds nice in theory, but good rhythm action games depend on there being a distinct connection between what you're doing and what you hear. If you miss a note, you expect to hear a missed note... can't really see how that's gonna work here. The 'flow' of the notes is also a big factor in RA games.

If simply pressing buttons in time with some music was a guarantee of a fantastic bit of gaming, then half of the guitar hero mods out there wouldn't be so utterly awful to play.

Nice idea, can't see it working very well though.

It's basically a massively cut down version of Frequency/Amplitude. I can't get it to see the custom playlist I made for it though, it's really annoying.

You have to add the songs in iTunes into the phase playlist, I think it must have to calculate the notes and all that.

I can't get it to see the custom playlist I made for it though, it's really annoying.

Did you actually create a playlist yourself or did iTunes generate one? It should start analysing your tracks as soon as you drop them into the Phase Music playlist that iTunes adds.

I'm a complete rhythm-action clutz, but I'm loving this, even on the tiny new nano - Ol' Dirty Bastard's Got Your Money seemed like a good place to start, about to see what it makes of the Katamari sountrack, maybe some Aphex Twin...

Did you actually create a playlist yourself or did iTunes generate one? It should start analysing your tracks as soon as you drop them into the Phase Music playlist that iTunes adds.

I'm a complete rhythm-action clutz, but I'm loving this, even on the tiny new nano - Ol' Dirty Bastard's Got Your Money seemed like a good place to start, about to see what it makes of the Katamari sountrack, maybe some Aphex Twin...

The game made a playlist, I added to it. It shows up on my iPod, but the game doesn't see it. I'll fuck about with it tonight.

It's certainly not random, but the quality of the patterns clearly depends on the choice of tune. I've been really impressed with the results on poppy things and hip hop - I'm guessing it likes clear beats to work with, because classical stuff works as about as badly as you would expect.

For four quid, I think it's a right winner - and even if it's a less than perfect rhythm-action game, it's a great new way to kill time at work.

I just bought it. Downloaded in a few minutes. Better be good!

EDIT: Damnit. When adding stuff to the playlist I realised that pretty much all of my music would be shit for a game like this. Luckily I have Freebird though so I'm gonna give that a go.

Yeah...I'm not the one for rhythm action games usually but I thought I'd give this a go. Not keen - the presses seem to bear only a passing relation to the music - it's easier to hit them if the music isn't playing, as the rhythm of the track just puts you off.

Maybe it's just the songs I chose (though I did select them for having simple, obvious beats) but this seems...shit. I'm assuming Guitar Hero works a bit better.

Better beat-matching in Guitar Hero, yeah, but even that would be pretty shit if you played it with a pad instead of a guitar.

Except Guitar Hero without the guitar was Frequency which was ace.

I really like it. I assume from the name Harmonix do see it as a follow on from Frequency and Amplitude.

I'd love to see Harmonix put this on Xbox Live but I doubt they'd sell a game which lets you add tracks for free when they're rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of all the paid for downloads they'll get with Rockband.

I find it works best on Hard with a reasonably fast song so you're clicking like mad.

Songs which work best for me so far:

Intergalatic - Beastie Boys

Babies - Pulp

Buggie Running Beeps - Rez Soundtrack

I also tried the Allman Brothers' Jessica for a Guitar Hero moment but that turned out to be rather hard. :(

I'm loving this game! Tracks I've used so far:

Good:

Processed Beats (Kasabian)

Caught by the Fuzz (Supergrass)

Not Still Over (Yaida Hitomi)

The Legendary Theme (from Gitaroo Man)

Dare (Gorillaz)

Not so good:

Remote Control (Beastie Boys)

Life on Mars (David Bowie)

• 7 months later...

I finally got round to buying this and it's very entertaining. It takes a bit of an adjustment to how the notes are aligned to the music (that could just be the songs I'm using) and the battery gets eaten up like you've never known. Still, it's a nice little distraction when the DS games are pissing me off.