Super Legendary Special Collectors Limited Edition

Teeohbee.

All my game boxes go straight in the bin, and I just keep the disk and instructions in a sexy leather binder. It takes up loads less space, makes my games nice and portable, and means that somebody breaking into my house can steal them all really easily!

Shame about the last bit, really.

Same here!

except I keep the empty boxes and the instructions too in the loft.

If it adds something fair enough but the Gears tin box annoys the piss out of me as there's the plastic sleeve to take off, then tin to open and then the little sleeve thing to get the game out. Pain in the tits.

Does look nice though.

I've only got the gears one and the Halo3 one (not cat helmet) was same price (or maybe £3 more or something pathetic) as normal in Virgin so I just got that anyway...

Same here!

except I keep the empty boxes and the instructions too in the loft.

When Goaty is the voice of reason, you know you're in trouble! :)

But yeah, what's the point in clogging up shelves with game boxes? It's not as if you ever pull them out and admire the artwork or anything. And when was the last time you read a DVD or CD inlay? Or game instructions, come to think of it? I should probably trash all of my instructions as well.

I've got a few of the things, I don't think that I've paid a premium over the cost of standard edition for any of them.

I think its a shame that they are intended to be sold at a premium price; as the value of the extra content is such that it should really just be an incentive to buy the game early rather than to wait for the inevitable 3 months (or sooner) price slash.

The only one that i really believe is essential is the dreamfall SE they did a little while back, which included a nice little artbook the soundtrack and the original "longest journey" game as extras.

However i dont really understand the backlash against these things (this is the second recent thread and there was a letter on teletext this morning) doesn't just getting to feel all superior when you buy the standard edition make it all worthwhile?

I'll concede that some of them may be desirable, in that they have extras that are of genuine interest to some people - I'm thinking soundtracks or artbooks, tangible, useful items.

But I'd certainly never buy one, & it doesn't take a genius to work out that the vast majority of them are made & sold to appeal to those who have more money than sense. Games are expensive enough as it is - spending an extra £20 just to get a tacky lump of plastic & a shiny cover is madness to me.

Artbooks and good soundtracks: Yes.

Crap that I'll never touch, such as figurines and tin boxes: No.

Same as DVDs. If I'll actually be enjoying the extra content, great. Such as the Fight Club DVD. Fantastic extras. I'd rather not have the 2-disk versions of the majority of mediocre films that come out though.

I don't see a problem with them, and if I had unlimited money I'd get them all. But in the real world to compromise I would have to agree with this:

If I really like something and want to see as much about it as possible then I will try and get it but often the extra DVDs don't get watched (like with Oblivion) :).

What I don't agree with is giving extra gameplay options with a special edition, such as the extra multiplayer weapons you got with the STALKER tin - the actual game itself should be the same. Luckily that was only a niche title.

I own one upgraded edition of a game, and that's Halo 3. I only went for it because Woolworths sold it for the same price as the standard edition! (£37.99 at the time.)

Personally I don't feel that fussed by LE/CE's, unless there's something really nice in the pack or if it represents good value compared to the standard edition. (No/minimal cost increase + extras.)

I Got The Smackdown Vs Raw 2008 LE for 360 today from play.com

dont normally get LEs etc the only other i got is Bioshock for the figureine.

the SVR08 LE comes with a mini guide for CAW mode,8 Postcards with the Fighting Styles on,A T shirt and a Kelly Kelly Poster for 2008

not bad for 40 notes

It's like Dvd special editions, there's a magnetism towards that word "special", and the feeling of missing out otherwise, but in actual fact I don't think I've ever actually put a bonus disc in, except maybe one of The Matrix ones. It's all about them getting them extra few pounds out of you for the price of a worthless disc.

I like the tinned boxes and would rather pay a little more to get everything.

However this is what a special edition should be about

91_1.JPG

An art book included inside and the only way to get it and bits and pieces from the game, including a pirate flag. Chexcellent!

Same as DVDs. If I'll actually be enjoying the extra content, great. Such as the Fight Club DVD. Fantastic extras. I'd rather not have the 2-disk versions of the majority of mediocre films that come out though.

Pretty much the same here.

Only special editions I've bought are:

-Burning Crusade, - which I now regret doing as I can't seem to shift it and get my £50 back. Still, as can be seem from the uploaded file (I hope) it was a decent set.

-Halo 3 - dvd was good but case ended up scratching the cds up. still, managed to sell it on ok.

-Bioshock - only the tin edition though, but it was the same price as the normal version so I figured what the hell.

Do have my eye on the Mass Effect one though, because I'm really looking forward to any behind the scenes stuff. That, and I know I'm going to love the game and it will probably be the only thing this year that I don't end up selling on at a later date.

post-8430-1194553832_thumb.jpg

The last big release Sp Ed I bought new was Halo 2 preordered from Amazon, as I currently own a PS3 I dont expect there to be (m)any Sp Ed released anytime soon :) .

The only ones I can recall on PS3 are Spider-Man 3 piss-poor game and Stranglehold. (has that finally been released in the US yet?), I debated importing the Sp Ed one then realised i bought Hard Boiled DVD a couple a yrs ago for about a fiver, Stranglehold is arriving too late (on PS3) to justify its £40 pricetag.

I think they're a waste of time for developer stories and artwork; the companies should just add url's in the game manual for the gamer to watch/view or just put them on the disc anyway.