What if...

Popo

You know, like how Trent Reznor did the soundtrack for Quake?

Well anyway I was just sitting here listening to my music and browsing the web when a song comes on and I think to myself "Hmm, I don't recall having the Silent Hill soundtrack on here..." - I check it and it turns out I'm listening to Radiohead's Kid A album. I'm no massive fan of that one so I never listened to it that much but this one track would be perfect for a freaky, fucked up horror game I think. I wonder what Tom Yorke could turn out if he was given the job of putting together the next Silent Hill soundtrack? He is a bit mental so I think it would be the perfect marriage.

I'm not talking about licensed music here neither - the artist would have to sit down and write the music with the ideas and the themes of the subject game at heart. Obviously that disqualifies stuff like Guitar Hero and Grand Theft Auto.

Any other ideas?

I'm not sure they'd understand as much as someone who did music for movies but it depends on what kinda genre your aiming for.

Take SID music, in many cases fitted it C64 games pefectly as many were futuristic worlds but even those in the likes of games i know well, like Master of Magic and Fist 2 seemed to be composed in such a way that they just spliced the mediums of graphics and sound together effectively sound as to make you feel part.

As games have erred towards having more realism, so the music has changed in tandam.

GTA is a good case in point really as its content makes you feel part of a world, just like many of the C64 compositions (i don't think need to understand the world your in, just feel a part of it).

It works well in other genres, but serves to less effect (see 180).

That said i'd certainly like to see the likes of Madlib or Doom, or Portishead write something appropriate. But obviously it would have to be something atmospheric as they're the only genres these days that actually use orignal music.

I think he means musicians in the public eye who he can name. I don't think he actually believes that game music is composed by our sentient computer overloads.

Bowie was in and had songs in 'Omikron: The Nomad Soul' though I don't think he wrote any of them specifically for it.

I was thinking the main problem would be money but you don't get that many 'real musicians' writing scores for movies really and there must be some money in that. You get people releasing tie in singles but you but you rarely get people writing whole scores, when they do its usually for some indie movie.

I really wish Trent had done the score to doom3 like he was meant too.

I think some game music is already of a staggeringly high quality, I listen to game soundtracks for games I've never played or sometimes heard of. So I'm not convinced they could do any better, in fact depending on the genre I think most would struggle when they are confined to writing something to suit a specific game moment.

But playing along something like Ultrich Schnauss would suit wandering through a forest.

I think he means musicians in the public eye who he can name. I don't think he actually believes that game music is composed by our sentient computer overloads.

Exactly. Nice to know at least one person doesn't assume I'm a retard!

I'm talking about artists who write music commercially, as opposed to those talented individuals who write professionally for videogames, movies and so on.

Anyway, my example was Tom Yorke doing music for Silent Hill. I think he could write some freaky shit with something like Silent Hill in mind.

What do you lot think?

I think some game music is already of a staggeringly high quality, I listen to game soundtracks for games I've never played or sometimes heard of. So I'm not convinced they could do any better, in fact depending on the genre I think most would struggle when they are confined to writing something to suit a specific game moment.

ARGH! I'm NOT saying people who write music for videogames are talentless!

It was just supposed to be a fun little thread where people match-make artists and games. :P

It's an interesting idea, and certainly some musicians would pull something off which would work well. The problem is that composing a piece of music for a videogame, or a movie for that matter, is completely different to doing so for the purposes of making an album. Johnny Cash is a real musician, as is Stevie Wonder, but I don't think they'd pull of a great game soundtrack. I think what you would end up with if you tried this with commercial musicians is a soundtrack which is essentially their regular type of songs, like having custom soundtrack turned on in the Xbox. I don't think many of them would come up with dynamic music which suits the game too well. For example, I can't think of many commercial musicians who could score Mario Galaxy the way it is at the moment.

EDIT: Having said that, Hextatic would be the sort of person I think could actually come up with a decent soundtrack for a game.

It would be mostly shit.

What's the difference between a composer from a band making some music for a game VS a composer that usually makes music for a game making music for a game?

Or do you mean a game with pop songs on the soundtrack like GT, Wipeout etc?

It would be mostly shit.

What's the difference between a composer from a band making some music for a game VS a composer that usually makes music for a game making music for a game?

Or do you mean a game with pop songs on the soundtrack like GT, Wipeout etc?

Well, Horribleman, as I said originally I am not talking about licensed songs.

Interesting point about skills not translating. The only real example of this happening is Trent Reznor, and he's hardly a representation of most artists.

In Metal Gear Solid 2 Harry Gregson Williams did the cut-scene music, but his work was vastly separate from the in-game music.

The 'popular' musician would just have to have a good artistic understanding of the game they're working on, and generally be enthusiastic about the medium. The novelty of seeing their well-known name in the credits wouldn't even be a factor in our evaluation of the soundtrack (I'd hope)...