What if...

Popo

Adding in a band or artist name to a franchise can be detrimental. If I hate a certain artist, I'm not going to be rushing out to a buy a game with their name splashed all over it because, chances are, I already know I won't like the music. See the latest 'EA Trax' games for example.

Johnny Cash is a real musician, as is Stevie Wonder, but I don't think they'd pull of a great game soundtrack.

Johnny Cash can't write shit nowadays.

Anyway, most artists that you're talking about write songs. Most games need more ambient music, that can potentially be looped endlessly and not get annoying after 20 minutes. What was that band that did teh guitar shit in halo2? That was fucking annoying, hearing that shit over adn over again.

Also, no, I don't think thom yorke would be a good musician for a silent hil soundtrack. He's never done much with noise. I seriously don't know why you chose silent hill either, as those games have some of the best soundtracks around.

Johnny Cash can't write shit nowadays.

Being dead doesn't help of course. What is Trent Reznor working on? Speaking of the two of them, I loved both versions of Hurt, the NIN song Cash covered. Completely different feel but great both ways. What was Steve Vai's role in Halo? Did he just play on it or was he involved compositionally?

Dipped into the thread yday and was going to post but had to dash off. It's been covered now but real video game music is made by real musicians, they just work in a differnt genre of a wide subject.

It's a completely null and void question isn't it? As silly as: what would happen if real classically trained musicians made real music like heavy metal or thrash? or what would happen if computer game art was made by real artists?

Actually the more I think about it the more I'm surprised that people aren't rising to the defence of chip choon musicians or bigging up the Parappa soundtrack or the Halo OST for example. Computer game music is as valid as any chart hit, more so because it's not made by hand picked, studio hairbrushed automatons that are miming along to a song written by a real musician from their parents generation.

Anyhow: What if: computer game artists and musicians got the respect they deserve for their craft and were not assumed to be unprofessional kids playing in a youth group industry that jealously looks up to film or recording studio output. I'd certainly far rather listen to a mix of Halo, Parappa, FF, MGS and other soundtracks than any "real life star" from the R and B charts. I just wish it were more respected, critically analysed and more widely available.

Invariably, when "real musicians" do the soundtracks for films, it doesn't work. Why should the soundtrack to a game done in this way succeed?

It really depends on the artist tough

Clint Mansell 'Requiem for a Dream'

Dust Brothers 'Fight Club'

:lol:

I think Boards of Canada could create a great soundtrack if they had the right project to work on, movie or game.

I did a thread on a similar topic a while ago. http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=164513

Complaining about some perceived slight to existing game musicians is missing the point. Writing music for games or records are just two different disciplines. It's interesting to see how people who have developed their ideas in one field apply them to another. (And there have been loads of film soundtracks where this has worked - not sure where deKay is getting at there. Musicians trying to act, on the other hand, is not so nice.)

As for songs vs. incidental soundtracks, it takes more effort to integrate an original song into a game, but there are loads that have done it at this point.

It really depends on the artist tough

Clint Mansell 'Requiem for a Dream'

Dust Brothers 'Fight Club'

:lol:

I think Boards of Canada could create a great soundtrack if they had the right project to work on, movie or game.

Just been listening to Air's Virgin Suicide soundtrack, which I like a lot too. Maybe Air could make a good stab at a game soundtrack too.

How do you know that the musicians who write music for games don't do other stuff too, commercially? I'd say it's fairly obvious they do. Basically what you're really saying is, 'imagine if famous musicians wrote game music'.

The only reason anyone would do that is for marketing purposes, probably wasting a load of cash in the process which would have been better spent in other areas of the games development.

Invariably, when "real musicians" do the soundtracks for films, it doesn't work. Why should the soundtrack to a game done in this way succeed?

As someone mentioned earlier, it's the difference between writing conceptual music and writing 'songs', I guess. While chiefly instrumental musicians are going to have a better feel for VGM and a more innate ability to write some, a 'songwriter' in the appropriate mindset could still potentially do something that rivals Super Metroid's soundtrack.

Wait, no. Could they bollocks.

It's interesting to see how people who have developed their ideas in one field apply them to another.

Exactly. The same reason people get excited over Michael Schumacher's involvement in Moto GP. I'd love to see how Muse could handle the soundtrack to an action game, preferably one set in the future.

Why do people keep chiming in about how "game musicians are real musicians too" ?

Of course the reverse has also happened, although of course the artist in question didn't write traditional game music in the first place... but Cold Storage of Wipeout fame released an album of work a while ago.

Has Nobuo Uematsu ever released an ALBUM of work, unrelated to a game soundtrack?

Actually, i think its interesting how some musicians went bad after the 8 bit years.....Rob Hubbard for one (he went all kinda rock).

But then i got Reason 4 the other day and found he's done a commando remix using Reason. He did a fairly good job as well.

Martin Walker (of Hunters Moon) is also a real musician and editor of sound on sound, which every top real musician reads every month.

I'd love to see how Muse could handle the soundtrack to an action game, preferably one set in the future.

They talked about doing it a bit in the official PS2 rag back in late 2000, how they'd want to go and do a game soundtrack after Origin of Symmetry. The fact that album sold ten million copies or something kinda put that on hold.