Computer Exchange

womblingfree

Did a search for the millions of CEX threads honest.

Anyway I stuck by and defended them through thick and thin but I think I've just about given up. Imports are long gone, fair enough importing's easy enough anyway, retro seems to have disappeared...annoying, prices seem to be rivaling GAME, unforgivable! Here's a few more things they need to sort out.

Went to get a copy of COD4 on PS3 yesterday only to see that they were flogging it for 45 quid (used). 'Because there's not many around' said the bloke. Nipped over the road and picked it up for 39.99 (new) from Argos. Woolworths, Gamestation, HMV all had copies as well.

They're selling off Wii's (used) for 270 without Wii Sports.

Every time I ask if they've got X or Y on PS3 the staff launch into a 360 fanboy rant.

The staff all have those ridiculous ear things where you make a hole the size of a dinner plate in your ear-lobe and then stick in what looks like the washer from a tap.

When there are long queues the staff seem to ignore everyone.

When there are no queues the staff seem to ignore anyone.

Having to wait for a chav who is selling ten crappy mobile phones to get them all tested when all I want to do is pay for a game.

Only saving grace is that you can still sometimes get an old title a bit cheap.

Seriously guys sort it out. When you're being undercut by Gamestation on new releases you have seriously disappeared up your own arses. Much as it grieves me to say so, if they went tits up I really wouldn't miss them right now.

Edit: This polemic was precipitated by a visit to the Hounslow branch.

I like the subtitle. :P

The CEX in Sheffield opened within the last couple of years. I went in in the opening week and it was the best place I've ever been for second hand games. But that was because they'd got loads of good stock in from their other stores. Since then everytime I've been in it's been pretty rubbish.

I don't think they give a shit anymore.

Look at the place, all CEXs I've been in, up & down the country have been a rancid filthy scum pit - if they were actually bothered about their shops/prices they'd sort them out

It's a shame as I still have fond memories of being in awe of the retro section in the Rathbone place CEX, and spending masses in there during the Dreamcast import boom years (or year?). eBay and the interweb have killed them basically. They've not got the savvy to keep up and have gone down the route of stolen mobile phones and DVDs.

Now you run the risk of contracting tramp aids, whilst paying over the odds for a scratched copy of a game that's been traded in my some smack head.

I want to know who goes in there and spends a couple of hundred quid on an old iPod or mobile phone. Do these people not have internet connections?

fucktards that don't know any better, that's the only explanation

The same way people will pay £50 for a game in Currys when it's £25 ~ £30 online, they are just too lazy or ignorant to check online

(or in the case of CEX - they are unlikely to have a credit card or bank account to pay for stuff online)

It literally fails at every single point a shop needs to succeed in if it wants to have a future.

- Clean, inviting decor: Fail.

- Atmosphere conducive to browsing (i.e. good noise level and smell): Fail.

- Well laid out stock: Fail.

- Competative prices: Fail.

- Presentable staff which gives you confidence in asking for their advice: Fail.

- Helpful staff: Fail.

- Avoiding bottlenecks at the checkout in order to avoid the shop becoming crowded with people waiting to be served: Fail.

- Good reputation from customers: Fail.

- Unique service to distinguish it from competition: Fail.

I honestly don't understand how they are still in business. I can only conclude they are a front for laundering money.

The thing is, new shops keep opening so they must be doing summat right. And what everyone fails to get, and what I keep reiterating to the point where you're all going to tell me to shut the fuck up at some point, is that we (being the denizens of RLLMUK) are not representative of the majority of people that shop there or game shops in general. At all. The people that shop at CEX are the begrimed, long fingernailed, snaggle toothed, unwashed, bad smelling, tracksuited fuckbars that we see stumbling around in Elizabeth Duke trinkets an baubels with their 5 equally unwashed kids in tow. And students that really should fucking know better.

The thing is, new shops keep opening so they must be doing summat right. And what everyone fails to get, and what I keep reiterating to the point where you're all going to tell me to shut the fuck up at some point, is that we (being the denizens of RLLMUK) are not representative of the majority of people that shop there or game shops in general. At all. The people that shop at CEX are the begrimed, long fingernailed, snaggle toothed, unwashed, bad smelling, tracksuited fuckbars that we see stumbling around in Elizabeth Duke trinkets an baubels with their 5 equally unwashed kids in tow. And students that really should fucking know better.

o/

nail & head meeting combo

I'm surprised they haven't been investigated or shut down by the police, the amount of stolen shit that must pass through there.

The thing is, new shops keep opening so they must be doing summat right.

Definitely, not to mention the fact that they've actually got a foothold in the competitive high street market. How many independent retailers manage that?

Trouble is they seem to be doing it by losing everything that made them a good idea in the first place. At the moment it's just GAME with bad music and bogies.

They are successful for only one reason. People are scummy. Take a car boot sale, people will buy any old crap, no matter how dirty or broken it is. Take GAME's second hand section, which is now cleaner, but before people would act like vultures to get to the second hand bins touching all the grubby cases. And it's no different with CEX, people want a bargain, they don't care if it's dirty or broken, they just want something cheap. And thats why they are still successful, but back around early 2000, they were great. But yeah, they need some proper managers in to sort the staff out. It's not like it's even one store, every store has lazy staff!

they need some proper managers in to sort the staff out. It's not like it's even one store, every store has lazy staff!

I think it's a condition of employment that you are a unwashed sub-human twat with piercings and an attitude problem. It is a amazing how it's the same everywhere, I think I've been in CEX in London, Bromley, Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham and in everyone it's nearly the same.

The CEX in nottingham is mental. You'll go in, theres like 8 people behind the counter- but only one actually serving the queue of 15 or so people. The rest are stood there having pretentious conversations to show to everyone else how much they know about games.Its as if theyve watched high fidelity and decided thats how they the want the shop to be. Because thier all "that cool".

However, its marginally better than gamestation now...with thier "game approach to pricing".

Thank god for internet shopping.

However, its marginally better than gamestation now...with thier "game approach to pricing" now.

The best thing about the Gamestation in Nottingham was the little RPG shop upstairs (Traveling man), now sadly replaced with a load of overpriced retro tat.

It was the last CEX thread that convinced me to stop buying games altogether in the highstreet, online FTW.

Nah, they need to stay open so that I can keep buying cheap games online and take them straight to CEX for cash profit.

Also, how would the homeless druggies survive without selling their nicked mobiles there?

I went into the CEX in Gloucester and it's amazing the amount of mobiles that they had in. There must have been at least about 40

The best thing about the Gamestation in Nottingham was the little RPG shop upstairs (Traveling man), now sadly replaced with a load of overpriced retro tat.

It was the last CEX thread that convinced me to stop buying games altogether in the highstreet, online FTW.

Yep, travelling mans moved to broadmarsh. The retro bit they have upstairs now is absoloutely rubbish. I mean...who buys that stuff? Halo wrist bands?!! :P

They have an awful selection of "retro" games. Just how many people want to buy GEX 3D on the ps1!?! :(

The last time I was in Edinburgh CEX I noted that one of the LCD monitors had a price sticker slapped right in the middle of it. From the looks of it, someone had tried to peel it off, so I guess someone bought it, tried to get the stupidly placed sticker back off, and took it back to the shop.

Yep, travelling mans moved to broadmarsh. The retro bit they have upstairs now is absoloutely rubbish. I mean...who buys that stuff? Halo wrist bands?!! :P

They have an awful selection of "retro" games. Just how many people want to buy GEX 3D on the ps1!?! :(

Last time I was in Nottingham I couldn't find Travelling man in the Broadmash I think it might have closed down :)

I'm no CEX hater I just want to bring the glory days back just a little. Some retro titles and fair pricing would help. Sorting out the queueing and serving is a must as well. Half a days training in customer service should do it.

Not too bothered about the interior or staffs outfits. Rather have some Swampy cyber-nerd than a door-to-door insurance salesman. The music's shit, but then I'm an old cnut that listens to Joni Mitchel so what do I know? CEX screams stinky adolescence. Fair enough. So has every independent games store I've ever been in.

It's also just about the only place you can go to see female gamers in captivity (the staff). Like walking into a branch of Victoria's Secrets and seeing a bloke working there. Great way to make sure you have the undivided attention and pick of the opposite sex.

Last time I was in Nottingham I couldn't find Travelling man in the Broadmash I think it might have closed down :lol:

Nah its still there- i nipped in last sunday. Its upstairs, near the little entrance, just up from the slug and lettuce. Theyve got alot of halo posters up at the minute, for that comic that never comes out :lol:

CEX has without doubt the worst customer service I've ever encountered in my life. I used to pick up the occasional HD DVD in there due to their cheapness & usually ended up just wanting to walk out in disgust. Foul shops

Its the attitude. How theres always loads of them behind the counter, but usually only one actually doing anything productive like serving. And then halfway through fetching the game you're buying-even he'll stop and start having a chat with the rest of them about how "Megatrons laser cannon didnt kill any autobots in the cartoon, but it killed everything in one shot in the movie" and such related retroness.

My girlfriend gets really wound up particuarly about the queueing part, and has on more than one occasion started yelling. Particuarly after they sold her a faulty PSP and then refused to give a refund (is that actually legal?)- only offer a replacement.

One of the most perculiar things about the nottingham one...is that most of the staff seem to have used to work at rock city. And its like "hey, didnt you serve me a vodka red bull, last week?!".

Nah its still there- i nipped in last sunday. Its upstairs, near the little entrance, just up from the slug and lettuce. Theyve got alot of halo posters up at the minute, for that comic that never comes out :lol:

Oh that's good - I must have been looking in the wrong place, I was lamenting the loss of another indie game store, anyhow...

I'm with womblingfree - It would be nice if CEX returned to what it did well in the past; import games & decent retro stuff. I'd be more than happy to start shopping there again if that was the case (and put up with the music/staff/smell). Even when CEX was "good" it was still kinda bad (my girlfriend used to refer to it as "that stinky dark shop") but in a weird way that was part of it's charm. Sadly I don't think any return to form is going to happen, and with eBay and lots of competition online there's no point for them to even try.

Last year a pigeon flew in to the Kingston branch of CEX and half the customers ran out... not because of the pigeon itself, but because its flying around on the pipes/ceiling caused HUGE showers of thick dust to fall everywhere. :lol: It was rancid.

Game Focus in London FTW. :lol: Great staff.