IGNORED

The Mars Volta

SM47

They're only doing 3 UK dates - Glasgow Academy, Manchester Apollo and Brixton Academy - all next March.

I saw them on the Frances the Mute tour and they skated the fine line between boring as sin jazzwank noodles and being the most incredible live band I've ever seen.

Ok, someone please tell me how to get UK tickets. Is it through ticketmaster?

Well, there's none on Ticketmaster as of yet. Seetickets only have the Glasgow date up at the moment, but I imagine it'll be updated in a day or two.

God, I hope I can get tickets; I've been waiting for about three years to see them.

Well, there's none on Ticketmaster as of yet. Seetickets only have the Glasgow date up at the moment, but I imagine it'll be updated in a day or two.

God, I hope I can get tickets; I've been waiting for about three years to see them.

I said up there, tickets on sale next Tuesday!

Monday for Glasgow.

I'm really in two minds to attend or not and ask for a ticket as an Xmas present. Plus, I'd have to travel from Cornwall to Brixton for a lame gig.

I've heard some poor live reviews of them and, as much as I love them, their live CD - Scab Dates - was a bit of a let down overall. It was ok, but 40 mins for Cicatriz Esp. was a tad ridiculous and not sure if I could tolerate it live. D/L'ing a live vid of em now for further analysis.

Well, you love 'em or hate 'em.

well at the time I loved them, so I was incredibly excited about seeing them. But the whole thing was just one long prog-jazz wankathon, and I got bored out of my mind when they managed to extend one song out to 45 minutes and were plucking one string on a guitar once every thirty seconds for about 5 minutes of that.

*yawn*

Got an mp3 of Wax Simulacra. It seems pretty good. It has been a long time since they have been distilled into such a short track. I can't wait for Bedlam. The whole Soothsayer business is as ridiculous as I have come to expect from these nutjobs.

Anyone else been following www.themarsvolta.com/video ? 4 tracks from Bedlam are now available in some form to view. The videos aren't great, but worth it to hear the music. I haven't booked tickets yet, as I have hardly any money, but I am going to plump for seeing them in Paris, rather than seeing Radiohead on this tour. I've seen Radiohead 5 times and to not go to see them is pretty big for me, but TMV are a much bigger band for me now, to me they must be what Zeppelin were like for people in the 70's. To miss out on seeing them would be a travesty to me. I can't imagine they will hold it together that long anyways, I predict another album or two at most, although would be happy to be proved wrong.

• 1 month later...

This seems to be properly out there now, my 2008 resolution of no leaks has lasted 18 days. Has anyone else heard it? Part meh, part OMG. I'm liking it much more than the last certainly, even though they always take a couple of listens to really sink in. Some of it is going to sound fantastic live, deep deep grooves.

I pre-ordered the album from Japan, their edition comes with an extra disc with all the cover b-sides and a video of Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus (probably from the Australia part of their last tour). The band also played Wax Simulacra on Letterman last night, video here.

where's a good place to get the japanese one?

I got it from hmv.co.jp, I've used amazon.co.jp in the past to get Frances The Mute when that came out. You can click on English to change the text to English of course, although from what I remember HMV was slightly better, some of the bits of Amazon weren't fully translated so it was a case of basing it on the UK version.

This is the 2 disc version on HMV, here it is on Amazon.

Damn, what is going on with that mullet?!

Shame to hear about the live show, I saw them on the first tour and it was quite frankly terrible; it only sounds like their live show has got worse.

If we were face to face, I'd kill you.

I enjoyed the Letterman performance.

I am looking forward to this.