The Mars Volta

SM47

On 21/06/2022 at 08:28, Hawklord said:

:omg:

Clicked on it and it starts playing - initially thought it was the wrong video, then checked the running time and of course it is then, then backed out of the transaction 

• 2 months later...

Anyone listening to the album? It’s quite different to their earlier albums and pretty mellow overall, some really nice mating vibes, but it does seem a tad underproduced at times. I don’t know how to put it exactly, but nothing really stands out. Definitely need to listen to it some more. 

On 21/09/2022 at 09:47, Stanley said:

Anyone listening to the album? It’s quite different to their earlier albums and pretty mellow overall, some really nice mating vibes, but it does seem a tad underproduced at times. I don’t know how to put it exactly, but nothing really stands out. Definitely need to listen to it some more. 

Not had a chance yet, hopefully give it a listen at the weekend...but I was underwhelmed by the single

• 2 weeks later...

Still not listened to the album (due to family emergency stuff) but this popped up on my FB memories. Went to see the Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group 10 years ago today in a tiny club in Glasgow (Stereo, holds about 300). Turned out it wasn't ORLG, it was Bosnian Rainbows!

Apologies for the potato cam (and I was right at the back!)

Spoiler

220605_10151236562225470_1186140850_o.thumb.jpg.0f27bc39fabd48db1978fbd9fc1038ff.jpg

335158_10151236563045470_1988733629_o.thumb.jpg.768d5cb02a9c110c4d58addcf983e3a6.jpg

622762_10151236563385470_2053986125_o.thumb.jpg.2eb1e4ffae03329774c21594379c5ace.jpg

One of the best gigs I've ever been to. Very rare that I leave a gig actually buzzing

Setlist

Spoiler

Basically the whole album which hadn't yet been released or announced

Eli

Worthless

Dig Right In Me

The Eye Fell in Love

I Cry for You

Morning Sickness

Torn Maps

Turtle Neck

Always on the Run

Red

Mother, Father, Set Us Free

Listening to the new album at the moment and so far so amazing. Very different to their earlier stuff. Probably closest to Octahedron (which I adore). Just so good to have another MV album, especially one that for me is so strong. Just so dreamy.

On 21/09/2022 at 09:47, Stanley said:

I’m not sure I’m getting an underproduced vibe. I think the production is wonderful, lets everything breath and works to beautifully support Cedric’s incredible vocals.

I actually haven’t put it on since the first couple of plays, that’s not to say it’s a poor album or anything, I just haven’t been drawn back yet. Their music always takes time with me though. 

(After Deloused) I thought that about "Frances the Mute". Turns out my first pass on it was the same as the third, extreme wankery.

Rick Rubin produced something wonderful out of sonic chaos. Having TMV producing their own material, nah not for me.