Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Windowlicker

Excellent stuff this. Sleuthed around one mission, sneaking around taking out the guards and hacking all the computers. This takes about 20 minutes. I turn back at a point where there's two guards I basically have to fight, thinking 'there must be a better way to do this'. Then realised I could've skipped all that by moving a vending machine and jumping on it. Ah well. Spoiler for breaking into TYM

Got past the very choreographed laser bit. Then I think, 'hey I wonder what's in behind that door", without noticing the breaker for ALL THE LAZERS. I disable the laser grid in front of the door, then open the door, then jump over the lazer that isn't disabled. I then close the door behind me, as I always compulsively do in games. After being underwhelmed by the goodies in the room, I realise that I'm basically stuck in the room as I can only open the door outward, into the laser. Reload time.

All my fuckups in this game are just due to not taking a second or two to look around and think things through. It's not like a massively cerebral game by any means, but certainly one where it's best to sound out what all of your options are, then take a moment or two to weigh them all up.

Some guy ranting in the back alleys of Detroit: "There is a grey sickness coming my friends.....it will be carried on the backs of 12 kings, and we will bow to them!" finding cool links to the original, both in emails/ebooks and stuff like that is damn sweet :D

Some guy ranting in the back alleys of Detroit: "There is a grey sickness coming my friends.....it will be carried on the backs of 12 kings, and we will bow to them!" finding cool links to the original, both in emails/ebooks and stuff like that is damn sweet :D

The amount of careful reference to a nearly twelve year old game is frankly insane an utterly wonderful. New players will merely love this game; old DX fans will be wallowing in nostalgia.

:lol:

Love the way you stealth it across the cars, look at her then as her gaze turns towards you back into cover! :lol:

Heh, my favourite part is the dude at the start calmly standing on top of someone's car watching Jensen's attempt to hide. I cut the scene where the same dude walks through the car, then teleports onto the roof.

Kind of a shame I had no praxis kits to let me stealth up to her, mind. That's my one small regret.

i did something similar with a couple of hoods out by the basketball court who were up to no good in my neighbourhood. threw a dumpster at one and made a three-point shot with the other.

Y'know, with enough effort and imagination you could probably compose a dark masterpiece from the crazy stuff you can get up to in this game.

Boss #2 went down in the first time of asking using this approach from a stealth based play;

Get the typhoon (pref level 2), see through walls and protection against Electricity augs. Keep one or two emp grenades handy for this fight together with a shotgun. Run away from her as soon as the scene starts then turn back and lob the grenade. If she has been incapacitated, move in close and use typhoon and the hottie until she drops - this works best if she happens to be close to one of the electic panels at the time. If she hasn't been stopped by the grenade, use the see through walls aug to track her down and repeat. Two rounds of typhoon were enough to kill her ass on Deus Ex difficulty. Sweet :wub:

I have to admit to being a compulsive saver with any game that gives me that option - I do a lot of tinkering around and exploration of different routes. I have an insatiable hunger for energy bars but it seems the folk in this world are more likely to leave ammo or computer viruses in their desks.

Getting close to the point where I left my first game and will be interested to see how the exp count compares - non-lethal with 100% smooth operator versus a more mixed approach.

Heh, my favourite part is the dude at the start calmly standing on top of someone's car watching Jensen's attempt to hide. I cut the scene where the same dude walks through the car, then teleports onto the roof.

Kind of a shame I had no praxis kits to let me stealth up to her, mind. That's my one small regret.

Y'know, with enough effort and imagination you could probably compose a dark masterpiece from the crazy stuff you can get up to in this game.

i think so. get enough fire extinguishers and you can go corpse bowling.

also:

sZHhq.jpg

You get a feel for the stealth and AI mechanics soon enough, so you can perform bolder tricks. Sneaking up to a guard, taking him down and dragging his body out of sight before his colleague returns will soon enough become second nature. I got the Ghost achievement on the first Derelict Row mission, before that I got seen and had to flee or fight my way through to survive.

Just like to thank Mr. Gerbik again. Turning DX 11 off seemed to do the trick for me all last night after the files validated.

Rubbish that the 500 series of Nvidia cards even have the problem, but at least I got to break some arms followed by a backhand to the chops.

Man I'm really, really enjoying this now. I've just left Detroit for the first time.. So fun having a new hub to explore! It's reminding me a lot of Metal Gear actually. Except a Metal Gear where the stealth actually feels a lot more like sneaking and not quite as artificial and gamey. Jensen looks disturbingly like Snake when in cover :wub: I'm rocking a super upgraded pistol, a handsomely tweaked shottie and use other guns as and when I need them. Stealthy where possible, taking out as many guards as possible. I love taking out a whole room one by one with silenced pistol headshots, watching them search for me - fruitlessly - is so awesome!

It's so refreshing to have massive levels, and to have that 'hang on, is this the right way??' feeling!

At the beginning I was saving/loading a lot, especially when I made mistakes, and to check out alternate routes.. However dropped out of that habit (since my gaming time is pretty limited and I was spending hours doing the same bit several times) and by golly it's made the whole thing a lot more exciting. :D plus it should make the subsequent playthroughs all the better as I won't be totally familiar with the level layouts. You people who went for ghost/no kills on the first playthrough have probably denied ourselves the most enjoyable way of playing the game tbh. But each to their own.

That first boss was a bit hilarious though, we just danced (awkwardly walked?) around a single pillar for the whole fight :lol: I can understand why people were a bit miffed with not being able to avoid the fight, or have a sneaking-type solution to it at least... Seems to be a strange omission when the rest of the game is so in keeping with the original game's ethos. I didn't really find it hard though (on Give Me Deus Ex), just made sure to stay out of sight as much as possible, my shotgun made short work of the fucker.

Looking forward massively to exploring the new place. I've already got into big trouble with the police dudes - oopsie! :D

PS LOVE THE MUSIC. Total epic synthy ambient musc of kickassery. :wub:

I've got the wall smashing aug - I'm pretty sure he tends to

kill people who may be standing the other side when using it (unless it's a tap/hold thing like the takedowns..)

Icarus is cool, how about cloaking or silent movment? :D

It'd be useful, but be careful. It can let you into secret areas for goodies, however if a person is standing next to the wall you will kill them. Also if there is an unconscious body nearby that you left ages ago any movement to them will kill them, you can tell the ones as they spaz out if you try to move the corpse and they go from zzz to dead. The wall aug can cause this so make sure there are no sleeping people nearby before you leave the area, I had a problem where I came to derelict row and KO'd a few chaps, left and got the wall aug and when I used it near the KO'd dudes they ended up dead. If i tried to move the dudes away before I used the wall aug that would kill them to.

I've got the wall smashing aug - I'm pretty sure he tends to

kill people who may be standing the other side when using it (unless it's a tap/hold thing like the takedowns..)

Icarus is cool, how about cloaking or silent movment? :D

I put a mine on a breaky wall and it knocked the guy out? :)

Noice, thanks guys!

I've got hacking capture at level 4 with full stealth and fortify.

I'm on a no alerts / no kills playthrough so would the wall smashing augment be of any use?

I might go for that or the Icarus aug.

Oh yeah have it. I took a guard out that way. His friend comes over to check out the noise, me hiding behind the wall I took out, he turns away and.. well lets say Jensen wasn't in a huging mood.