Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Windowlicker

In the theatre doesn't Deus Ex machina mean some kind of intervention? For example in Shakespeare's A midsummer nights dream Puck or Oberon. Basically a plot device allowing something to occur - e.g. if a film has someone fatally ill and is suddenly healed by Jesus or something. Maybe Superman 2 has a Deus Ex Machina when he turns back time to save lois.

Well that's my understanding anyway. Maybe the augmentations are supposed to represent this 'intervention' allowing the huma body to do extraordinary things.

In the theatre doesn't Deus Ex machina mean some kind of intervention? For example in Shakespeare's A midsummer nights dream Puck or Oberon. Basically a plot device allowing something to occur - e.g. if a film has someone fatally ill and is suddenly healed by Jesus or something. Maybe Superman 2 has a Deus Ex Machina when he turns back time to save lois.

Well that's my understanding anyway. Maybe the augmentations are supposed to represent this 'intervention' allowing the huma body to do extraordinary things.

"God from (or out of) the Machine". It's most useful when you've written yourself into a corner plot wise that you can only escape from through literal divine intervention. The Greeks did it a lot.

I've just google it and it translates as God out of the machine (Wiki goodness)

That seems to relate a little bit to the game.

"God from (or out of) the Machine". It's most useful when you've written yourself into a corner plot wise that you can only escape from through literal divine intervention. The Greeks did it a lot.

What he said :)

Edited by iknowgungfu

The full phrase, deus ex machina, yes. It literally means "god out of the machine", coming from the actual mechanism used in ancient Greek plays which would lift a statue of a god onto the stage. As this generally saw the god directly intervening with the events, the term gained the general meaning of using something outside of the plot to resolve a situation.

It's clearly what the game is alluding to, but the problem is that 'deus ex' on its own is an incomplete clause: "god out of", or "god from". It's just frustrating to read if you understand the Latin (See also: LA Noire and its inexplicable feminisation of noir, against all the rules of French grammar). They've shortened the phrase for punchiness, but in doing so made it meaningless.

Yep, I can recommend the RPS critique - covers some of the flaws fans of the original will pick up on, and flags up one significant disappointment in advance, but avoids determinedly avoids any spoilers beyond the first mission, so it's a 'safe' read. I'll be avoiding other reviews until I've played the full game myself.

Story I got told once. There was a comic artist in the thirties who wrote a three or five panel strip that appeared in a daily newspaper and told the heroic tale of a square-jawed crime fighter who beat up the bad guys for truth, justice and the American Way. Trouble was, the artist himself was a jerk and a drunkard who alienated everyone he came into contact with until they finally had enough and gave him his notice. The further trouble was, the strip was actually really popular, so the paper hired a guy to continue on despite the original artist being fired.

The original artist, of course, wasn't best pleased with this chain of events so for his last strip he left the hero chained, bound, gagged, locked in a safe which was tossed into the ocean with a very limited air supply and angry sharks circling the safe as the last panel of the last strip he drew.

The new artist, faced with this pretty overwhelming problem? The first panel of the new strip he wrote wasn't any art, just words. It simply read, "With A Leap And A Bound, He Was Free". Then he started a new adventure.

That Edge link is the second page of the Daewoo Sex review, mind. Thought I'd point it out as the start of page two could be mistaken for the intro: http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/deus-ex-human-revolution-review

Cheers, sorted the link.

From the RPS review, love this area with everything in white can't wait to get there. Also brings up vague memories of the location towards the end of Neuromancer, so long since I read it not sure if it does fit.

dxh10.jpg

What you have here is a compellingly entertaining game, with some of the most rewarding stealth I’ve encountered. And most of all, you have choice. Choice about whether you mow down enemies with a machine gun, or tap them on the shoulders and punch them in the face. Choice about whether you sneak in via the roof, through the sewers, or march boldly in through the front door. Choice about whether you hack, smash or learn passwords through information retrieval. Choice about whether people live or die. So in those tiny moments when the game robs you of choice, it rather offends. But mostly it does not, and it’s a fantastic, elaborate, and so rarely today, long game

I think that nicely sums up the RPS article, really can't wait for this now.

deus ex machina means "hand of god" or literally "god out of the machine".

It's a writing technique, a plot device. Things change due to the intervention of "God".

Donnie Darko says it just before the chick gets hit by the car.

I see people have already mentioned this, ah well.

Hmm, that would be annoying, but I suppose it depends how much level you get for that minute.

Also, the critique about some augs being a bit limp compared to others can also be levelled at the original.

Anyone care to list which augs they went for?

I did a few plays through, and almost always went for half of the same ones. I don't think I ever used the flying spy drone thing. For one thing, it sounded rediculous that they were built in and launched from....his head! Nanotech or not, just too silly for my liking.

Er, presumably they vary hugely depending what system you're running on. The preview build's loading times weren't memorable, so I'm assuming were quite short, but they were running straight from an SSD, so...

I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting from everyone here. At the end of the day the game isn't officially out yet (betas aside) so how can you expect anyone to argue whether it is a worthwhile purchase for you?

Approximately 15% of Boozy's posts consist of him complaining about other people not wholly fapping over a game. ;)