Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Windowlicker

See while Boozy may moan about PC love fests, I still never quite get the "Cannot wait" crew.

What does this mean? Are you pirating it or freezing yourself so the future appears quicker (Go God Go)?

Anyway just for Boozy - I'm still not sure on PC vs 360. My PC is 2 years old and still runs stuff well; it would look ace. I like the beanbag + big TV though. Yet I also played the original Deus Ex on the PC!

Hmmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm....what to do?!

Anyway just for Boozy - I'm still not sure on PC vs 360. My PC is 2 years old and still runs stuff well; it would look ace. I like the beanbag + big TV though. Yet I also played the original Deus Ex on the PC!

Hmmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm....what to do?!

Get both?

The comments about boss fights reminds me a little of Alpha Protocol. Which I loved, despite that. I'm probably getting this.

So, let's get the bad ones out of the way:

The bosses are absolutely terrible and they can certainly make you enjoy the game less. They completely defy the design logic of the gameworld - plus, they really really feel like they were added for the sake of just having some shooting action. Mental choice.

Graphics and A.I. are not very good, lip synch is laughable (it's better during CG but the actual CG is not very good), animation is nothing special - unless we are talking about Jensen. The separate level A.I. create immersion problems for me. One time I climbed a ladder without being seen and then I blew up some mines. The enemies downstairs, which I could see from above, were alarmed and were shooting at the ceiling all the time, yet no one tried to climb the ladder which was right in front them. If the A.I. spot you coming out from a vent they will run towards you. But if you back up a bit, they "lose" sight of you and return to a relaxed state, even though they saw you were in there.

Loading times are 20sec or 30sec for PS3 (don't know about the other platforms) and there's quite a lot of it. Enter a new section of the map: loading. Enter a building: loading (in some there's no loading though). Now that wouldn't be so much of a problem if it happened rarely. But there were times when I was going back and forth and it got on my nerves. It's not that bad though (on PS3 at least).

The hubs at first seem great but after a while you see through them. There's just no proper life in them. All cars are parked and no one ever drives. People always stay on the same place, repeating the same lines on their phones or waiting forever outside of the bar. They are a great and atmosperic backdrop but they just can't pass for "real" cities. This game, if it had the budget, it would benefit greatly from a proper open world in my opinion.

Now, the good ones:

Jensen is a myth. His voice is like Clint fucking Eastwood. You just don't mess with the guy. He is brutal but he can also be sentimental without looking like an idiot. He is the perfect tabula rasa for the player. You want to be a badass? It suits him. You want to be a talker? It suits him. You want to shoot people? He is your man. You want to use the best cover mechanism ever? He has glorious style. (though you need to get out of cover to perform a takedown which is a bit stupid).

The stealth is also the best I have ever played (and I love stealth games). It just feels so natural, so easy but without losing the risk factor. Planning your way through the areas is one of the most satisfying things in recent memory. You run out of options? You can improvise. One time I really thought I had blew my chances to enter a building, so I just sat there thinking of a solution. I literally started thinking of ways to get in. There were no pointers from the game, everything seemed lost. Until I masterminded an entrance involving many steps (which I designed in my mind). No game gives you such freedom these days.

The story is good (there is a lot of reading) and the characters feel convincing. The "social" "bosses" are very good (and they are not only your enemies).

There are more to say but it's better to talk about them when people have actually got the game.

In my opinion it's a great 8/10 game but I'm having difficulty labelling it as 9/10 or 10/10 classic.

We all said the boss fights were gash from the beta, why on earth leave them in. Everybody, and i mean every living soul that played it. from comon man to smelly journo said the same.

Too late to change it.

We all said the boss fights were gash from the beta, why on earth leave them in. Everybody, and i mean every living soul that played it. from comon man to smelly journo said the same.

I figured it's because somebody wanted the box ticked - I didn't get that far in the beta, having stopped at the cop shop, but from what I understand they're completely anti-climactic and don't have any real sense of impact. Can anyone who's done the bosses say whether it feels like these were supposed to be important pivotal moments, but they just fluffed it?

If you can hook your PC up to the TV the game works perfectly with a controller should you want.

You could hook the pc up to your TV and plug your pad in if you don't want to get out of your beanbag.

SNAP!

PC upstairs so it's not an option.

I'm veering towards PC at the moment, DECISION MADE!

Where from, my good fellows? :D

BTW 8 gig of Ram here! YEAH!

I figured it's because somebody wanted the box ticked - I didn't get that far in the beta, having stopped at the cop shop, but from what I understand they're completely anti-climactic and don't have any real sense of impact. Can anyone who's done the bosses say whether it feels like these were supposed to be important pivotal moments, but they just fluffed it?

They didn't for me. They try but...

You spend two hours infiltrating, changing your routes, your tactics, exploring and making progress in the most glorious of gameplay ways, only to be rewarded with an arena closed off fight that forces you to play like a really bad FPS. Your weapons and tools until that point have no use if you play a stealthy guy, so they have extra weapons lying around (which sometimes mean you may drop your usual weapons to fit a combat rifle in the inventory because it just seems impossible to take down the enemy with your trusty augmented pistol).

They certainly don't ruin the game, far from it. They just feel so utterly out of place and unfair. For me it felt like they didn't believe their gameplay could stand on their own and they had to "spice" it up.

Cheers, sorted the link.

From the RPS review, love this area with everything in white can't wait to get there. Also brings up vague memories of the location towards the end of Neuromancer, so long since I read it not sure if it does fit.

dxh10.jpg

I think that nicely sums up the RPS article, really can't wait for this now.

... its vision of 2027 is the most exquisite, spot-on video game distillation of William Gibson since the 16-bit Shadowruns. If you told me Jensen's name was Case and he was exploring Neo-Kobe rather than Heng Sha, I'd say, "Oh man, this is the Neuromancer game I've always dreamed of."

From the 1UP review.

Looks like this is the real deal. A game that can stand proudly alongside the original! :omg:

It'll be the first game I've bought day 1 this year(£40 for the augmented edition from The Hut.) Can't fecking wait!

I just had a flick through the Eurogamer review. I don't normally mind Tom Bramwell's writing, but ...

"The story at the heart of the game fits as snugly as Jensen's wrap-around retractable sci-fi sunglasses, too, thickening and twisting like cream cheese in a ditch being attacked by a gang of angry hammers. "

What the fuck is that? :rolleyes:

Anyway, can't wait for this; Friday can't come soon enough.

:excl:

So there's a shopto download edition I see?

What's more confusing is that there's 4 versions of the game? What's this version with the mission pack...?!

Caved in and bought the standard Steam version today. It's now preloaded and ready to go. Man, I simply can't wait. Deus Ex took me by surprise when it was released originally, it's a game I discovered by myself. Never heard of it, never read a review or never saw it mentioned anywhere before I played it. If this one is a touch more like the original than the sequel, this'll be a strong GOTY contender this year, for me :P

:excl:

So there's a shopto download edition I see?

What's more confusing is that there's 4 versions of the game? What's this version with the mission pack...?!

As far as I can see non of the digital versions have the extra mission, need to pre-order a boxed version to get it, any version will do.

As far as I can see non of the digital versions have the extra mission, need to pre-order a boxed version to get it, any version will do.

I see, Sir Luke. Many thanks.

Digging this up from a while back, but...

It still doesn't like laptops, mind (or any other systems which actively throttle their processors). Can need a bit of tweaking to make the sound work properly too.

Deus Ex (the Game of the Year edition from Steam) is one of the only games I've got to run on my netbook (which is obviously really underpowered, being a netbook). It ran really well for the most part, except for the Lucky Money club in Hong Kong due to all the reflective surfaces - it went to a crawl there until I smashed all the mirrors. :lol:

Ah, I had the opposite problem - it had difficulty with the throttling on my laptop not because it ran too slowly, but because it couldn't work out what speed to play at, and ended up fluctuating between normal, speedy and unplayably fast. Paul rushing towards me like Speedy Gonzales in the opening level was my first sign that something was horribly wrong. The same problem afflicts Thief (2).