Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Windowlicker

Giant Bomb are doing a live quick look of sorts in about 10 minutes if any one is interested.

Watching it now and its starting to make me reconsider getting this on Friday. I think it's the BatVoice that's bothering me the most.

I'm a bit worried about the boss fights. What I liked about the original Deus Ex, is that you could just run away from them. I found that amazing at the time. To be honest, it'd still be pretty amazing even now, as most games still lock the door behind you, forcing you into the boss fight.

Anyway, shopto have despatched my copy. Woo etc.

Was anyone else seduced by the cheapness and ordered their copy from Bee.com? If so has your copy been dispatched?

I'm getting a bit antsy that this isn't going to arrive in time for the long weekend... :unsure:

I would phone them if not processing by the end of tomorrow. They seem to have problems with payments for pre orders.

I'm a bit worried about the boss fights. What I liked about the original Deus Ex, is that you could just run away from them. I found that amazing at the time. To be honest, it'd still be pretty amazing even now, as most games still lock the door behind you, forcing you into the boss fight.

Anyway, shopto have despatched my copy. Woo etc.

Yup, to this day I still remember running away from both

Anna and Gunther. (what really impressed though was the fact that if you didn't fight them, they'd just keep reappearing throughout the game...:omg:)

Good times. :wub:

Disappointing that option isn't available here, maybe something for them to consider in a sequel.

Giant Bomb are doing a live quick look of sorts in about 10 minutes if any one is interested.

I shouldn't have watched it. I knew Jeff would be into the guns whereas as far as I'm concerned each bullet fired in a Deus Ex game is a failure.

Watching it now and its starting to make me reconsider getting this on Friday. I think it's the BatVoice that's bothering me the most.

Jeff seemed a bit down on it, picking out lots of little things that annoyed him (some of which seemed like incredibly trivial things I would quite like, such as manually entering passcodes for doors etc.) I expect a 3/5 review from him. He does have a very odd and specific taste.

Gonna have to grin and bear with the load times, unfortunately.

Played the first few hours and enjoying immensely. In engine cutscenes look poor, and the graphics generally aren't anything special, but the art direction and feel of it more than make up for it. I love the way the stealth makes you feel like an absolute badass.

I am getting quite a lot of crashes though, had 5 or 6 so far.

Anyone else having stability issues with the PC version?

Edit: also does anyone know what are the highest level setting for some of the graphics options? I have no idea of what is a superior sampling type, which type of AA is best etc

So, just installed DX1 along with the new hi-res texture pack to check it out and oh man, I got goosebumps. I'm actually thinking I'll put DE:HR on the shelf until I'm done with this. Haven't played it since release and it still feels fresh. Gfx obviously pretty fugly but new textures really help and it's just got so much charm.

Played the first few hours and enjoying immensely. In engine cutscenes look poor, and the graphics generally aren't anything special, but the art direction and feel of it more than make up for it. I love the way the stealth makes you feel like an absolute badass.

I am getting quite a lot of crashes though, had 5 or 6 so far.

Anyone else having stability issues with the PC version?

Aye, but only on load screens. About one in every ten cause the game to either freeze or drop out, which is annoying. Particularly as every time this happens the game forgets my FOV and cover-toggle settings.

Other than that, the game's brilliant, though :wub:

(Aside from that daft boss fight. Worth noting that if you're playing as a stealth character, and have no deadly weapons to attack him with, it's still possible to deal with him

by stunning him, then throwing the explosive barrels dotted around the room at him.

I spent a good while backtracking to pick up a normal gun before realising that)

In checking my Amazon's order status I find this:

Important Message

We thought you should know that we're experiencing a delay with your order. We apologise for any inconvenience. Please take note of the revised dispatch and delivery estimates marked in red below.

But then it still says the 26th, these people are out to play with my heart!

Platform comparison.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/platform-comparison-deus-ex/719681

All look identical, even the PC version seems practically the same so this probably due to it being a port from the console version. Also there's something weird going on with the shadows on PC where they are... absent, in certain scenes (notice: 1:45 and 2:10). Although hardly noticeable it is still something I err, noticed.

Platform comparison.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/platform-comparison-deus-ex/719681

All look identical, even the PC version seems practically the same so this probably due to it being a port from the console version. Also there's something weird going on with the shadows on PC where they are... absent, in certain scenes (notice: 1:45 and 2:10). Although hardly noticeable it is still something I err, noticed.

They definitely don't look the same 'in real life'. I never understand these comparisons though, the video itself is limited to 24 or 30fps so it doesn't really make sense. Gametrailers comparison videos are always performed on a dumpy PC, usually with half the settings turned off and usually at 720p to 'make it the same as the console' (if I recall them talking about it on invisible walls correctly). It's not a particularly handsome game by any stretch, but it looked infinitely sharper and double the framerate when I *ahem* played it on PC a few months ago and compared that to the highest quality console footage I could find, which was muddy/jaggy/teary/slow fps in comparison.

Still, it's not like the PC version has any actual extra content as far as I know, and you can buy a 360 for about the price of a good mouse these days, so who gives a shit :lol: