IGNORED

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Windowlicker

The graphics on this are really nothing special. In fact it's vary rarely good looking - the lack of budget shows in almost every step.

It doesn't matter if you play it on PC or not as much as other games. It's not Crysis 2 or the Witcher 2.

Yep, this. It's all about the atmosphere, which will be the same whatever you play it on. I did enjoy the fact that it looked a bit less muddy though.

Game in not-looking-like-tech-demo-for-CryEngine-3 shocker.

"a 2011 title so much" is more appropriate I think.

Yep, this. It's all about the atmosphere, which will be the same whatever you play it on. I did enjoy the fact that it looked a bit less muddy though.

Exactly. And the less muddy version of the PC will surely help things of course. I'm curious to see what mods will come out for this, if any.

So faithful to the original then :hat:

I'm here all week.

God, it looked shit a year before it came out. They made the Unreal engine do things it was not meant to do. Unspeakable things. Things that the Unreal engine still wakes up screaming about to this day.

We talked a while back about how this game is reminiscent of DE1 because of the somewhat static, boxy characters and environments etc. I reckon they did it on purpose. Deus Ex doesn't need amazing visuals, it just needs loads of people to talk to and a kickass soundtrack.

So faithful to the original then :hat:

I'm here all week.

Haha, so true. :D

We talked a while back about how this game is reminiscent of DE1 because of the somewhat static, boxy characters and environments etc. I reckon they did it on purpose. Deus Ex doesn't need amazing visuals, it just needs loads of people to talk to and a kickass soundtrack.

But it needs CG? :unsure:

I think it's mostly a budget issue and not a developer choice. If this sells well, then you'll see the sequel with much better grapchics.

Dugas has already started some damage control about the A.I.

Are you trolling?

No, I'm serious. As far as HR goes they certainly had enough time to work on it with a pretty big staff, I don't see what adding cash to the equation would do. Throw more programmers at the engine or something?

The next one will probably look better because they'll spend another two years working on tweaking the engine, but it's never going to be CryEngine 3 or Tech 5.

I can't imagine any developer would intentionally make a game look any less than it could have...

I don't think he is. Look at Castlevania: Lords of Shadow; it was made on a shoestring budget and looks stunning. In fact I dare say it had a smaller budget than this game.

A bigger budget doesn't necessarily mean better graphics. For all we know, the AI in this game may require more ram than usual. Something has to give as we're reaching the limits of the current hardware's capabilities.

edit: LOL! I just saw that article about the flawed AI!! Oh well!! :lol:

Well, it's not set on stone that more money always mean better graphics. But, generally, having a game look like Uncharted or Heavy Rain or The Witcher 2 is not cheap bussiness. Better quality art, longer development times, use of technologies like motion scan, lipsynch, animation, real time weather systems, day/night cycles, etc, all these require vast amounts of money and add to the graphics and atmosphere of a gameworld.

And just to be clear: I'm not saying that a game with great art doesn't have good graphics, because I think Space was going there. So yes, I think he's just trolling.

Xenoblade Chronicles for me is one of the best looking games in this gen.

Just in case anyone ordered a steam code from Shopto, it should be there in your account now. They told me they'd send me an email when it was available but haven't yet.

Wish I'd checked this morning so I could have left it downloading :(

I've risked the downloadable Augmented version from Shopto. Confidence in them is low, yet it seemed the best option... I ordered a few minutes ago, how long should it take to get a code?

...the augmented edition doesn't have a standard 360 DVD case inside, the cardboard box is all you get for storing it in. Also, the manual's not easy to fit into its sleeve, meaning that it had the corners crushed upon dropping through my letterbox.

Disappointing. I should stop buying special editions, I think. They're rarely worth the extra, and if this had been RRP (£60) when I could have got it for £30 (or £20 through that stupidly cheap offer) I'd have been fucking livid. Punching down walls and kicking children into ponds in my boundless fury.

Anyway, off to get it all installed for tonight.

Well, it's not set on stone that more money always mean better graphics. But, generally, having a game look like Uncharted or Heavy Rain or The Witcher 2 is not cheap bussiness. Better quality art, longer development times, use of technologies like motion scan, lipsynch, animation, real time weather systems, day/night cycles, etc, all these require vast amounts of money and add to the graphics and atmosphere of a gameworld.

And just to be clear: I'm not saying that a game with great art doesn't have good graphics, because I think Space was going there. So yes, I think he's just trolling.

Xenoblade Chronicles for me is one of the best looking games in this gen.

I always see it as a compromise. Uncharted and heavy rain were both linear in what could happen on the fly, the Witcher 2 was also a little shallow on content compared to the first. Personally I'd like cash to be spent on making the world interesting to be in rather than pretty to look at. Hell DX looked like ass even when it came out but it was great to wander around in. System Shock 2 also looked like ass when released, still a damn fantastic game and the spaceship had loads of little touches to make it believable. You can have pretty or depth but not both, unless Valve start getting into an rpg.

Does the first (non-tutorial) mission play out differently depending on how long you take getting to the helipad? I was trying to explore the building you start in, take in the scenery, talk to people etc., but I kept getting Sarif in my ear telling me to hurry up.

He eventually said the situation got worse while I was dallying, and I got the impression from the things people said that maybe the hostages wouldn't have been killed had I not spent time looking under the cubicles in the ladies' washroom before departing.

Does the first (non-tutorial) mission play out differently depending on how long you take getting to the helipad? I was trying to explore the building you start in, take in the scenery, talk to people etc., but I kept getting Sarif in my ear telling me to hurry up.

He eventually said the situation got worse while I was dallying, and I got the impression from the things people said that maybe the hostages wouldn't have been killed had I not spent time looking under the cubicles in the ladies' washroom before departing.

I felt like I dithered quite a bit in the initial building (ladies washrooms etc) and still managed to save the hostages. Sarif did pester me a few times but I don't think I got any message about the situation getting worse

I felt like I dithered quite a bit in the initial building (ladies washrooms etc) and still managed to save the hostages. Sarif did pester me a few times but I don't think I got any message about the situation getting worse

If you are about too long at Sarif Industries, the mission starts with the hostages dead, but there's a fair bit of leeway in that