IGNORED

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Windowlicker

I've risked the downloadable Augmented version from Shopto. Confidence in them is low, yet it seemed the best option... I ordered a few minutes ago, how long should it take to get a code?

Sorry not sure, I ordered the normal edition a couple of weeks ago when it was £20. They are usually pretty quick at answering queries through their website though.

My shopto order just arrived. Pre-loading on Steam now. I also got a tax rebate of £350 from the Inland Revenue.

You'd think it was my birthday or something, and funny thing is, it IS my birthday.

NICE! well enjoy DE and the £350 and your birthday :lol:

Reminder to people: unfinished side quests get cancelled if you decide to move the story forward and leave the area. Sometimes it's not clear if you are going to leave or not, so be sure to finish anything you want before moving on to main story missions.

A very unusual game design choice, but thanks for the heads up.

Sorry not sure, I ordered the normal edition a couple of weeks ago when it was £20. They are usually pretty quick at answering queries through their website though.

Was yours a downloadable version?

Regardless it says that the Augemented edition is released tomorrow, so can't complain (until tomorrow at least) ;)

Also the "Cancelling side quests when moving the story forward" may well be a smart design choice - it's just easier to do it that way.

The 360 version has load times that are about 5 seconds faster than the PS3 version (according to that IGN feature, anyway). Thats what informed my decision, although I was kind of hoping that the PS3 version would be better, if only to give the damn thing a bit of action.

So, just installed DX1 along with the new hi-res texture pack to check it out and oh man, I got goosebumps. I'm actually thinking I'll put DE:HR on the shelf until I'm done with this. Haven't played it since release and it still feels fresh. Gfx obviously pretty fugly but new textures really help and it's just got so much charm.

I couldn't get that texture pack to work. Gave up on it in the end. The game doesn't need it anyway!

Dear second boss: fuck off and die. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it - this is what's happened so far (playing on Hard):

After my first boss encounter, I specifically upgraded my inventory space so I could walk around with lethal weapons for the next boss fight. The game starts to signpost the arrival of one, so I tool up with some new, massive guns (the heavy rifle, to go with my assault rifle), have an assortment of grenades, and go in confident. Twenty retries later, I'm a bit miffed. This boss seems a bit... broken, for anyone who hasn't invested in armour upgrades. The enemy's explosions can be run from, just, but a single burst of fire from her SMG insta-kills me. The game hints that I should destroy the electronic devices in the room, electrifying the floor and stunning the enemy. Which works! Only, none of the floor is clear of the electrical charge, and without the 'electricity-proof' armour upgrade, it kills me in seconds. So I can't fight her head on, as she kills me instantly. I can't disrupt her with the environment, as that kills me. I don't know what I'm missing, but currently I'm feeling a bit screwed.

Was yours a downloadable version?

Regardless it says that the Augemented edition is released tomorrow, so can't complain (until tomorrow at least) ;)

Also the "Cancelling side quests when moving the story forward" may well be a smart design choice - it's just easier to do it that way.

Yeah just the normal download version, they give you a code in the Downloads section of your account that you stick into Steam. I haven't actually tried it yet since I'm in work but it better be valid......

They have a problem with processing payments on preorders. If its not processing yet I would give them a ring. I preordered Fear 3 and Shadows of the damned - both arrived the Tuesday after release and only because I prompted them.

Thanks. I gave them a call and they said they'll not be processing it until tomorrow.

I don't mind not getting it for release, just annoys me when companies faff about.

I went with Bee.com, when they were doing that E3 money off code.

What are they like for pre-orders?

Apologies if this has already been asked.

They charged my card Monday but still haven't sent it. I've chased them up and they haven't bothered replying yet (even via Twitter which it looks as if they haven't even used since March).

I won't get time to phone them today but if it's not sent by this evening then I'll be ordering elsewhere and sending theirs back if it arrives later / chasing them for my money back.

I had put a few other orders in with them but I think I'll be cancelling those too. As first impressions go it's just not worth the hassle of using them to save a few quid.

Dear second boss: fuck off and die. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it - this is what's happened so far (playing on Hard):

After my first boss encounter, I specifically upgraded my inventory space so I could walk around with lethal weapons for the next boss fight. The game starts to signpost the arrival of one, so I tool up with some new, massive guns (the heavy rifle, to go with my assault rifle), have an assortment of grenades, and go in confident. Twenty retries later, I'm a bit miffed. This boss seems a bit... broken, for anyone who hasn't invested in armour upgrades. The enemy's explosions can be run from, just, but a single burst of fire from her SMG insta-kills me. The game hints that I should destroy the electronic devices in the room, electrifying the floor and stunning the enemy. Which works! Only, none of the floor is clear of the electrical charge, and without the 'electricity-proof' armour upgrade, it kills me in seconds. So I can't fight her head on, as she kills me instantly. I can't disrupt her with the environment, as that kills me. I don't know what I'm missing, but currently I'm feeling a bit screwed.

That was a strange one, even on normal.

You can't fight her head on and she insta kills you, as you said. I used a beam weapon and a machine pistol (not my usual weapons of course which is an augmented piston and the tranq rilfe). Every time she moved away for recharging I placed some mines around me and I was able to stun here when she came. You can also use your "through walls vision" to locate her when she is recharging.

Hang in there, you'll get it in the end. Whoever put bosses in the game did not only make a bad choice but he is lousy at his job, too. He must fired.

Ah, I don't have the vision mod, as with the radar mod it seemed unnecessary for general gameplay. I'll stick with mines and guns, and hope she falls eventually. Are the later bosses as annoying? Also, I've not even noticed any beam weapons thus far, clearly I've not been looking hard enough!

That was a strange one, even on normal.

You can't fight her head on and she insta kills you, as you said. I used a beam weapon and a machine pistol (not my usual weapons of course which is an augmented piston and the tranq rilfe). Every time she moved away for recharging I placed some mines around me and I was able to stun here when she came. You can also use your "through walls vision" to locate her when she is recharging.

Hang in there, you'll get it in the end. Whoever put bosses in the game did not only make a bad choice but he is lousy at his job, too. He must fired.

I ended up having to waste a couple of praxis points on the ability that stops you taking damage from electricity in that fight. Bloody terrible decision to lump it in there.

Much to my surprise my 360 Augmented Edition has just turned up from ShopTo! Didn't even get a shipped email... Oh happy days!

Going into this 100% fresh, haven't watched a single trailer, had total media blackout... can't bloody wait :wub:

Haha, so true. :D

But it needs CG? :unsure:

I think it's mostly a budget issue and not a developer choice. If this sells well, then you'll see the sequel with much better grapchics.

Dugas has already started some damage control about the A.I.

The derpy AI makes it more like a Deus Ex game too.

I always see it as a compromise. Uncharted and heavy rain were both linear in what could happen on the fly, the Witcher 2 was also a little shallow on content compared to the first. Personally I'd like cash to be spent on making the world interesting to be in rather than pretty to look at. Hell DX looked like ass even when it came out but it was great to wander around in. System Shock 2 also looked like ass when released, still a damn fantastic game and the spaceship had loads of little touches to make it believable. You can have pretty or depth but not both, unless Valve start getting into an rpg.

There are loads of pretty and deep RPGs, though they might not be pretty by today's standards.

Heh, the most recent RPS article is encouraging.

Without wanting to spoil what is only a very minor non-sidequest thing anyway, I will say that it involves response to office hijinks that wouldn't for a moment be out of place in the original. Glad they've kept the same style. I'd be interested to know how things would have played out if the writer had done stuff differently too.