IGNORED

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Windowlicker

Tip regarding praxis points (not story/mission related):

Almost regardless of playstyle getting the hacking augmentations first (specifically Capture 1-5 and Stealth 1-3 - I'd get Capture to 2 or 3, then Stealth to 3 then finish off Capture) seems best. There are so many things to hack and you net fairly large amounts of experience, money, items, and I've even found extra quest items and praxis points by getting these skills maxed. Even if you know the code/password it's probably a good idea to hack anyway (unless there's some bonus I missed for not hacking?). Pretty much everything else you can do just fine out of the box (maybe not shooting but I've not done much of that).

Yeah, they start searching. You can run away or start fighting. Their line of sight is sensible, their noise/movement detection makes sense, they take you down quickly when spotted too. Crucially you're not made to feel like you're doing it wrong all the time, which was always my problem with the MGS games. The cover-based stealthing works really well. It's not exactly 'realistic' as mentioned earlier, but the 'rules' of the mechanic are very well implemented. At least so far.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/gamestop-forcibly-removing-onlive-coupons-from-deus-ex-pc-copies-because-theyre-gamestop-updated/3614/

UPDATE: Square-Enix, Deus Ex's publisher, replied to our request for comment with, "We have no comment." We're waiting to hear back from OnLive about the situation.

UPDATE x2: OnLive also declined to comment on the matter. GameStop, however, had a brief comment to add on the subject:

"We pulled the coupons because, like all retailers, we prefer not to promote our competitors and their competing offerings and services in our stores. Unfortunately, the coupon was packed without our prior knowledge."

Oh, great. That obviously settles everything. Thanks, GameStop!

--

In case you hadn't had a recent reminder that the brains behind video game retailer GameStop and its policies are like the villains in a bad '80s comedy, let today's news be the refresher you need to reassert your desire to never, ever go to that place to buy games.

According to a picture obtained by GameSpy from a GameStop employee, those working at GameStop retail locations have been instructed by corporate management to open any and all copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and remove the OnLive coupons included with the disc for a free digital copy. Yes, GameStop is actually opening new copies of games, removing content provided to you by the publisher as a bonus for your purchase, and then selling that copy as new. New. As in fresh, or unopened, or unused. NEW.

The OnLive promotion was just announced yesterday, and apparently GameStop didn't take too kindly to the idea of coupons for a copy of the game being included from a competing service. OnLive, which deals in streaming-on-demand versions of games, is in direct competition with GameStop's Impulse service, which currently sells digital copies of PC titles and is in beta testing for on-demand streaming as well.

Ars Technica separately confirmed from a GameStop spokesperson that this policy is 100% accurate.

Understandably, customers who purchased Human Revolution from GameStop are irate, both at having content they were provided by the publisher forcibly removed, and by GameStop selling a game that has been opened and tampered with as "new." While GameStop's corporate management likely won't care too terribly much about this outrage, being the soulless caricatures of humanity's horrendous insatiability and inhumanity toward their fellow man that they are, they might actually start caring if these sorts of abysmal practices actually begin to affect their bottom line.

As such, I'd just like to include a reminder that there are roughly a gajilliondy other retail outlets that sell video games. Some of which even aren't run by the industry's equivalent of greedy, thieving goblins.

Yeah, only been posted twice so far :P

I'd be asking for a refund, and possibly more. Whatever they may claim, they've tampered with the boxes and removed content. I don't see how they can do that legally?

Also it's backfired in a spectacular way. Onlive now has MORE advertising via this story as opposed to what would have happened if they'd just left the coupons in.

Nothing from Game FFS

Aye, I've been let down by Gameplay too.. and I know people aren't big fans of gameplay around here, but they've *always* delivered a day early for me in the past... Nothing today despite it being posted tuesday.. Ho-hum, gonna dodge this thread now in case of none-spoilered spoilers...

Anyone who's still unsure - if you like Blade Runner, get it. If you remember Shadowrun on the SNES and thought at the time it seemed like an amazing atmosphere and setting for a game and that it should have been loved by more people, get it.

Within an hour or so I just thought "this is a mix of BR and SR" it just seemed that obvious to me. I like it.

I've played for about 4 or 5 hours but haven't got very far at all. I feel like I'm a bit stuck at the moment and maybe the one downside for some people will be the fact that there is no clear path to achieve your goals. I like that freedom but it can be a little overwhelming too. I have absolutely no idea how to get out of the bind I'm in at the moment, basically stuck in a building full of people that I can't avoid without the means to get past them. However, I'm enjoying trying to find a way.

I watched Blade Runner again last night...Excellence

Anyone who's still unsure - if you like Blade Runner, get it. If you remember Shadowrun on the SNES and thought at the time it seemed like an amazing atmosphere and setting for a game and that it should have been loved by more people, get it.

Within an hour or so I just thought "this is a mix of BR and SR" it just seemed that obvious to me. I like it.

I've played for about 4 or 5 hours but haven't got very far at all. I feel like I'm a bit stuck at the moment and maybe the one downside for some people will be the fact that there is no clear path to achieve your goals. I like that freedom but it can be a little overwhelming too. I have absolutely no idea how to get out of the bind I'm in at the moment, basically stuck in a building full of people that I can't avoid without the means to get past them. However, I'm enjoying trying to find a way.

I watched Blade Runner again last night...Excellence

Elaborate.. I want my excitement to build!!

What I like about it is I feel confident using it. As others have said, it's not the most crushingly realistic, but the rules are clear and clearly set out, you learn very early on what you can and cannot get away with and it's such a solid system that for the first time in any game I feel entirely confident in the stealth system.

This translates to the way I'm playing the game, in that I move around more confidently and quickly and I feel empowered by the stealth, rather then feeling like I'm cowering. It really does make you feel like you are in complete control of the situation and a complete badass (also thanks to the very nice takedowns). Not once have I accidentally stood up in front of someone or found myself panicking because I've accidentally stepped out of cover, like I have in every other game I've played with a stealth/cover mechanic.

The transition from 1st - 3rd person is also very well worked. I thought it looked odd on the previews, but when actually playing it feels totally natural.

The alarm system is quite gamey, in that you set the alarm off, hide in the toilet out of sight and after a few minutes they wander off, no worse than any other, but again, it's enjoyable with clear rules if not the most realistic representation.

Should maybe qualify this by saying I'm only a few hours in and there may be situations later on where it all falls apart, but so far I'm absolutely loving the stealth gameplay.

So, what's the reason for us Steam users having to wait an extra 3 days than our American chums to play the game we've all already downloaded and have sitting there, waiting to be unlocked?

Digital distribution should have destroyed not having simultaneous release date* by now!

*Except perhaps for Japanese games that are dialogue heavy

Man it feels good to be back rummaging through every last drawer, hacking every terminal and rinsing the enemies. I can see why some reviews are down on the imbalances in the augmentations with hacking being an obvious advantage in acquiring loot and finding shortcuts. But I do feel the punishment for going down that route early is fairly obvious, you might have great gear and loadsa money but you don't get as many opportunities to feel badass. Indeed you might never actually need double takedown, wall punch and the slow fall augs to complete a section but it feels awesome to just drop off a 4 storey building, mince a pair of loitering gangbangers simultaneously and make your exit by smashing down a wall.

If you can get get close enough to two guys at the same time to do a takedown it automatically takes them both out. It feels pretty natural and I've not yet been cheated by maybe one guy just being a little too far away.

So it's a first person shooter with the cover system from Rainbow Six Vegas, and has Half-Life and Oblivion elements? That's the vibe that I got from the videos I just saw, anyway.

Does it have Southpaw thumbstick controls, guys?

It's a Deus Ex game.

I'm not being negative, just trying to figure out what the fuss is all about.

Again, I've never played a Deus Ex game. Need enlightenment.

Willing to purchase, as long as it has Southpaw.

Man it feels good to be back rummaging through every last drawer, hacking every terminal and rinsing the enemies. I can see why some reviews are down on the imbalances in the augmentations with hacking being an obvious advantage in acquiring loot and finding shortcuts. But I do feel the punishment for going down that route early is fairly obvious, you might have great gear and loadsa money but you don't get as many opportunities to feel badass. Indeed you might never actually need double takedown, wall punch and the slow fall augs to complete a section but it feels awesome to just drop off a 4 storey building, mince a pair of loitering gangbangers simultaneously and make your exit by smashing down a wall.

why view it as a punishment? Im playing stealthy and hacking and all that jazz. but sometimes if I get through an area Ill go back and do damage. Ive got my double takedown aug thank you very much and I use it tons! Also the gear you get is negligible because of the inventory constraints and the style of play your going for. Ive found a Sniper early own, but I didnt take it cuz, Im being a pacifist. And the leg augs are great. At the exact moment I needed it I bought the Jumping aug and it allowed my to get to an office, that had a comp that i could HACK (for info only) and then I went along my merry way.

I think your assessment is premature. THERE ARE SO MANY ROUTES, OPTIONS, AVENUES, ETC to this game. You can't pigeon hole someones style of play so easily. There are augs im looking at that I thought were useless like the jumping aug that I am reconsidering because it will make me a stealthy badass!

So it's a first person shooter with the cover system from Rainbow Six Vegas, and has Half-Life and Oblivion elements? That's the vibe that I got from the videos I just saw, anyway.

It's not a first person shooter. The nearest you can call it is an unusual tactical shooter which is very unforgiving and brutal (if you want to call it something with "shooter" in it).

You can play it like a shooter but you'll be missing out on so many things this game has to offer.

It's a first-person rpg/shooter hybrid with heavy but optional stealth and lots of mostly optional talking and exploring. In short, it's a Deus Ex game.

No idea about Southpaw though - but weren't there decent 3rd party 360 controllers out by now which offered the option to swap the stick functionality around? I thought I had read something to that effect and thought 'hehe meerman' but maybe I'm misremembering.

I tried to jump my way through the rafters of one building but kept falling and dying so I gave up because of the load times. I'm sure it was possible though.

I keep finding that I think there's one fairly obvious route through a section, then I get to the end and realise there were about 3 more. My only worry I guess is that a lot of them seem to be vents hidden behind boxes; I hope that doesn't get too predictable.

It's not a first person shooter. The nearest you can call it is an unusual tactical shooter which is very unforgiving and brutal.

You can play it like a shooter but you'll be missing on so many things this game has to offer.

Aha! That sounds very interesting indeed. Sorry for my complete lack of Deus Ex knowledge.

Gerbik, I know about those controllers but I'm a man of principles. Just bought Portal 2 which even mentions Southpaw controls in its manual! Yes, I read game manuals.

Maybe someone in my FL is playing the game tonight, I'll ask them about Southpaw controls.