Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Windowlicker

I'm not being negative, just trying to figure out what the fuss is all about.

Again, I've never played a Deus Ex game. Need enlightenment.

Willing to purchase, as long as it has Southpaw.

I think the most lamen explanation would be Blade Runner meets Mass Effect meets Metal Gear. Cyberpunk aesthetics with Western RPG sensibilities and a killer stealth system to boot. The lore is interesting enough, but mileage will vary. Augments(leveling) system is meaningful. At first I thought some Augs were useless, but there REALLY is a place for most of the Augs they present to you. And the gameplay is very rich. You can navigate areas, by speech, stealth, guns blazing and even between those find multiple routes using a combination of all three. This game is amazing. Who'd thunk it Square Enix, taking the Western RPG world by storm...And yes I know they bought Eidos...but regardless its Square now.

Now all they need to do is reclaim the JRPG market back. ZING!

I tried to jump my way through the rafters of one building but kept falling and dying so I gave up because of the load times. I'm sure it was possible though.

I keep finding that I think there's one fairly obvious route through a section, then I get to the end and realise there were about 3 more. My only worry I guess is that a lot of them seem to be vents hidden behind boxes; I hope that doesn't get too predictable.

are you taking about derelict row? you can make the jump, i died twice before i got it but you can do it.

also the box thing is a bit predictable, but if you dont have the strength aug its useless. a lot of vents are covered by heavy items.

I think the most lamen explanation would be Blade Runner meets Mass Effect meets Metal Gear. Cyberpunk aesthetics with Western RPG sensibilities and a killer stealth system to boot. The lore is interesting enough, but mileage will vary. Augments(leveling) system is meaningful. At first I thought some Augs were useless, but there REALLY is a place for most of the Augs they present to you. And the gameplay is very rich. You can navigate areas, by speech, stealth, guns blazing and even between those find multiple routes using a combination of all three. This game is amazing. Who'd thunk it Square Enix, taking the Western RPG world by storm...And yes I know they bought Eidos...but regardless its Square now.

Now all they need to do is reclaim the JRPG market back. ZING!

I'm sold, thanks for that explanation. :)

This game is amazing. Who'd thunk it Square Enix, taking the Western RPG world by storm...And yes I know they bought Eidos...but regardless its Square now.

Yep, I hope this game is a MASSIVE success and they let these very same guys make another Deus Ex game - only with more confidence next time, so they won't feel the need to include 'spectacular' boss battles.

Gaming is good again :wub:

Yep, I hope this game is a MASSIVE success and they let these very same guys make another Deus Ex game - only with more confidence next time, so they won't feel the need to include 'spectacular' boss battles.

Just in case you've forgotten, the same studio's currently working on Thief 4. Hype!

Two pleasant surprises for me: 1) my £21 order from GameStop arrived today, far exceeding my estimations, and 2) it's a Limited Edition copy that includes the Explosive Mission Pack, meaning I get the extra sidequest which was the only bit of in-game content I was really interested in.

Yeah, same here, luckily I noticed soon after starting that you need to put the code in before starting a new game.

I haven't had much time with it yet but am on the first mission. Annoyed about not having the charge to do a melee? Surely a melee should be your last resort when you have nothing left.

When I restart I'm not going stealthy!

it's a Limited Edition copy that includes the Explosive Mission Pack, meaning I get the extra sidequest which was the only bit of in-game content I was really interested in.

I think maybe every copy of the game has this, given that it's printed on the cover and comes in the box. Has anyone seen a copy that doesn't come with it?

I just finished the first proper mission, in a factory I think.

I like the world and the story is interesting enough, but the stealth game play is a little uninspired so far: walk into room, overhear brief conversation by guards before they go on their robot patrol, and try to avoid them. I assume there is more to do with the augmentation and upgrades further into the game, so far it feels like a lot of the stealth games I have already played.

They charged my card Monday but still haven't sent it. I've chased them up and they haven't bothered replying yet (even via Twitter which it looks as if they haven't even used since March).

I won't get time to phone them today but if it's not sent by this evening then I'll be ordering elsewhere and sending theirs back if it arrives later / chasing them for my money back.

I had put a few other orders in with them but I think I'll be cancelling those too. As first impressions go it's just not worth the hassle of using them to save a few quid.

Did you get any joy?

Mine has been dispatched.

Just started. Rather tough isn't it? I've died 5 times already in one of the first rooms of the lab with the 3 guards in it. Oof.

Don't worry, I kept dying during the tutorial on medium difficulty. The first 'proper' mission is actually a lot easier than the tutorial because there's a lot more routes and it's easier to do proper stealth (plus you have more equipment and silent takedowns). The tutorial just gives you a gun and not much else. You can sneak through the rooms if you're careful but it's hard to get through the exits without being seen.

To be honest the opening isn't a very good representation of the rest of the game. Make sure you use the roll from cover to cover move a lot, it's invaluable in my brief experience with the game as you can travel suprisingly large distances. Getting in a firefight very quickly leads to death.

Can I just check. When I started the game I put it on the middle setting 'the way it's supposed to be played' - Is this the hardcore setting or something because I keep dying at the very start. :(

no that's medium.

there's a deus ex difficulty as well.

Anyone else still waiting on their code from ShopTo?

I am. Apparently it's "Released Today" - which was fair enough around 10am. Not 4:15pm. Did I make the stupid mistake of going with Shopto again?!

Edit - wow. I was just checking their contact centre...if you select the topic "Order" you must then select a sub-heading. There are 11 sub headings. All but ONE of these rewards you with "We do not currently allow support tickets for this issue". Oh dear, bad feeling about this - do they have enough keys etc!?

ShopTo are great....just not for digital distribution obviously! ;)

Yeah, they've only screwed me over on deliveries twice before. Surely digital distribution should be quicker...

Still waiting on play, but so long as it arrives on time I'm not fussed about them breaking release by a day.

anyway, for those who've jumped the gun and might be a ways in by now.....any idea how the preorder items have been implemented?

That is, stuff like the satchel charges and 'master of unlocking' device are meant to occur anyway I think.....it's just that the dlc gives you a few to start with.

Stuff like the guns I dunno, but I kinda hoped it'd be the same case. Maybe they'd be rare, hidden items for the midgame.

It's just that I have fond memories of lurking on rooftops with a tricked out silenced sniper rifle in the original. :)

Yeah, they've only screwed me over on deliveries twice before. Surely digital distribution should be quicker...

You'd think! (although I still prefer old fashioned physical copies... The AE 360 box is lovely)

Also annoyingly I didn't realise that the DLC code you get with the Augmented Edition needs to be entered BEFORE you start your new game... Typically it had to be the first time I hadn't checked if that was the case! .... looks like I'll be saving the extra bits for my 2nd playthrough then.

Still waiting on play, but so long as it arrives on time I'm not fussed about them breaking release by a day.

anyway, for those who've jumped the gun and might be a ways in by now.....any idea how the preorder items have been implemented?

That is, stuff like the satchel charges and 'master of unlocking' device are meant to occur anyway I think.....it's just that the dlc gives you a few to start with.

Stuff like the guns I dunno, but I kinda hoped it'd be the same case. Maybe they'd be rare, hidden items for the midgame.

It's just that I have fond memories of lurking on rooftops with a tricked out silenced sniper rifle in the original. :)

According to the code slip it says you get them after completing certain missions etc.. which is the best way of handling it...

Although as per my last reply just make sure you enter the code first :facepalm:

According to the code slip it says you get them after completing certain missions etc.. which is the best way of handling it...

Although as per my last reply just make sure you enter the code first :facepalm:

yeah they handle that really well. They are usable items in the world. You get the explosives after the first mission. and the unlock device and other thing(forgot what it is) from a vendor. You have to buy it and there's a limited amount. It's not game breaking at all. I was quite surprised. You can find about 2 of those devices on your own in Detroit.

And depending on your play style the other to lethal items might not be of use this time around.