IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up on a couple of fronts - finally had confirmation that the first batch of figures is on the way to me as we speak. It's around about 50 figures on this one, with another 50 coming along the week afterwards. Everyone who's emailed me so far are assured of the figure if they still want it, but as the list has had to be in some sort of order, folk who emailed me later might miss the first batch and get the second. Either way, you're sorted. I hope :wub: .

Second (small) bit of news is that the web-site has been updated a little - mainly with some more photos of the figure in question :)

Soon my pretties...soon :)

Oh, and here's a snap of the final production figure...

ELproduction1.jpg

I'm tempted to get into this again. I used to paint them when I was a kid with a friend of mine. He had Blood Angels and I had Ultramarines (it seems a lot of people went that route when younger). I see there's a lot more weird and wonderful ones around now though - even LOTR stuff! - I might end up picking some up again for a bit of fun. Can imagine it being very therapeutic :)

403 Error Code :)

What do real women paint? I think the thing I like about the LOTR stuff is the horses actually, adds a bit of variety per miniature. And the witch kings etc look awesome.

I don't know about that, but if you're into girly-girl stuff (albeit with guns and stuff), you could do worse than checking out Sodapop Miniatures. Actually, they're not girly I guess, but they're bloody great fun...

soda001.jpg

And big robot things...

SPM09002.jpg

403 Error Code :)

What do real women paint? I think the thing I like about the LOTR stuff is the horses actually, adds a bit of variety per miniature. And the witch kings etc look awesome.

I fail at linking, clearly. Should've been the picture in this Google image search result. Mmm, Daemons.

Real women (and ponces) paint Eldar or Tau.

(I paint Tau.* Ergo, I am a ponce)

*well, I build 'em. I'll paint them when I get back to the UK in a few months.

Am I in the first or second wave JoeK? Just so I know what to tell my friend. It looks awesome by the way, can't wait to get my hands on it.

First wave for you mate :) . Number 3 and 4! Early bird and all that.

I've got JoeK's Elf model! *does a little dance* It looks fantastic, and comes with a little certificate of authentication (hand signed and everything). Still it's going to have to wait till I've got my big fancy Tigershark ax1-0 out of the way, painting competition entry and all that.

Just thought I'd announce that JoeK Minis has gone 'live' (so to speak). Well, the web-site has blossomed and the store is now open for business :facepalm: . Limited amount of stock at the moment, but more on the way as and when required!

Thanks for the support guys - and the kind word Ben ;)

Joe.

I want these!! They're so colourful!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1090021

I'm tempted to go to GW today to give this a go but I'm terrified they'll pounce on me and I'll feel lost.

I just want to buy a little set and all the gubbins I need to get started, really. Don't want to spend too much initially but I think my initial choice (the troupe above) would equal a lot of paint colours needed :eyebrows:

So how do people start out? Help me rllmuk. I really like the look of the Eldar (and not just those mad harlequin ones) because there's so much variety in them.

Yes indeed, painting Eldar means you get to use a full palette on your armies, which is where a lot of their charm comes from. And Harlequins are particularly amazing. Always love the Shadowseer.

Afraid I can't really give you any painting pointers - I'm a rubbish painter, and I don't collect Eldar - but hopefully someone else will be around to give you advice. But I'd definitely say to go for them - you have to choose models that appeal to you, after all!

(and I always love the Avatar models too. Doesn't look too impressive until you consider it's a vehicle-sized model, not infantry sized (e.g. in this picture, it's the big orange chap towering over the bunker).

I also love the fact their background is heavily based on Greek mythology :eyebrows:

I've just found a website called Total Wargamer who are based down the road (well, 15 miles) and have 20% on GW this month, and I could pick stuff up! So now I need to choose things! They recommended the big set (of course, lol :ph34r:) which is £40 but I think that may be a bit much for me so soon, when I add in the fact I'll need paints and brushes as well... maybe something smaller to start :eyebrows:

Back in ancient times (mid-90s) I had a nice Eldar army. From memory, I'd recommend starting with a squad of the Eldar Scouts (Rangers?). It'll just be three-to-five little dudes, all with long rifles and big flowing cloaks. They look cool and, thanks to the large areas of flat space, should be relatively easy to practice painting on (trying out basic stuff like ensuring a smooth coat of paint and working with highlights/recesses). I recall really enjoying painting them and playing about with a unified camo design.

Only interested in painting and not playing? Generally the stuff recommended to buy like the big starter sets are if you'd be playing against someone.

Something like http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1400023 wouldn't be bad to start with. Guardians are pretty simple. The paint is really the most expensive bit when you first start out.

Really it depends on if you mind braving a GW shop or not. It can be a bit of a lottery depending on what staff member you get but if you make it clear you're interested in painting some eldar then they might have one you can try in the shop first. At the most you might have to buy the box above then the shop will help you assemble them there. In that case you might be able to get away without buying a paint set and just get a couple of paints and a brush to see how you get on. You can always get more later if you decide you want to experiment a bit more.

The Harlequins are all metal just so you know but generally speaking if you're just starting out then it doesn't matter what you go for model wise. When you finally decide on what to get first time you'll be looking at an extra £20 or so that'll include a can of undercoat, couple of brushes, glue, and a handful of paints.

As has already been said, if you make it clear early on that you just want to paint models and have no interest in the gaming side, then the staff are generally speaking much more easy going.

Hmm... I wonder if GW are open on Bank Holiday Mondays :D

Sort of wish I went today now but I never would've done anything with Dr Who and all that anyway.

Edit: I've spent two hours reading through nearly this entire thread (skimming in places "ooh, pretty pictures"). You're all very talented! Was especially nice to see sweetdaddyg 'grow' - a huge difference in those first miniatures you posted up and then the space wolf (I think that's what it was, it had a wolf head :o).

I think I'm set on the idea of picking up a few miniatures to practise on, possibly before jumping in with the eldar, though the set that bcofn posted might be a good shout. Something simple to get to grips with where I could try and fail at the first and hopefully improve on the second. Not sure I'd go with red though as I'd like to build toward getting some blue paints and such for those winged beasties I like the look of so much.

Although some of those Tau things are almost...cute..

I keep umming and ahhing between this. I'm scared of going into GW and saying "I just want to paint something pretty". I don't want to get too many models to overwhelm myself, and I'm concerned if I spend too much on paint and don't like it it'll be a waste :lol:

But then I look at all the pictures of what people do and I think it'd be really fun but I'd probably be really rubbish and sulk.

Edit: Just phoned up to see what time they closed. He finished with "see you soon". EVIL BRAINWASHING.

I keep umming and ahhing between this. I'm scared of going into GW and saying "I just want to paint something pretty". I don't want to get too many models to overwhelm myself, and I'm concerned if I spend too much on paint and don't like it it'll be a waste :P

But then I look at all the pictures of what people do and I think it'd be really fun but I'd probably be really rubbish and sulk.

Edit: Just phoned up to see what time they closed. He finished with "see you soon". EVIL BRAINWASHING.

Everyone, but everyone is rubbish and suck at the beginning! It doesn't matter how good an artist you might be, it just takes a while to wrap your head (and brush) around painting dinky little things!

I guarantee that every time you paint a new figure the improvements will be huge!

Curse you all!

I had to go to town today to get some ink cartridges for my dad. I drove to the normal car park, but some pillock had managed to smash their car up so severely at the entrance (at about 5mph, I might add) that the police had cordoned the whole thing off, forcing me to go up to the other end of town to park.

The Games Workshop end of town.

So I bought the things I needed and walked back to the car. I was literally faced with the choice of walking left to GW, or right to my car. I thought I'd choose left and have a little look around.

I wandered in, expecting to be jumped by the hard sell, but I was left to my own devices for a good quarter an hour of browsing. The only person working there had his hands full with loads of little kids causing havoc around the games table (who, predictably, started making fun of one another for not having girlfriends because there was an OMGFEMALE in the shop), so I spent a while flitting about from one side of the shop to the other (Fantasy to 40k), trying to decide between the Bretonnia knights and some Eldar avengers. I picked up the avengers and cautiously made my way to the till and asked the guy what he thought would be more fun to paint out of the two, and he suggested the knights, which swayed me. (Ooh horseys and pretty colours).

Came away with this little lot:

IMG_0853.jpg

But I feel guilty. I had originally chosen the £18 paint set and he recommended the hobby set instead so I went with that but it was only once I got home I realised he charged me for the paint set, so undercharged by £12. What to do, what to do!

Anyway. I'm hoping I can do some quite good stuff with the foundation paints; they seem a bit bland in some ways so I bought blood red and sunburst yellow to try and brighten things up a bit. Buying another paint or two once I have more of a clue of what I'm doing won't be too much trouble and I'm hoping I can at least make a good start with this set, supposedly they mix well and there's some good evidence of that on the GW site :P

Hmm. I may have an issue with my glue. The plastic glue - how is it suppose to be? That sounds weird, I know. There's a crack in the lid of mine, but I'm not sure it is affecting the glue itself. However there's a thin metal... bit that's stuck in the lid - is that meant to be on the bottle itself, with the glue coming down it? I seem to remember having some glue like that when I used to make models in the past, where it had this thin metal tube. Is mine properly broken? :D Is this karma for being undersold? I assume any plastic glue would work fine otherwise - I may have some of my old modelling stuff kicking about.

You picked knights over avengers? :)

Afraid I've no idea about the glue pot - like you, my experience of plastic cement comes from other sources than GW's product, specifically the metal nozzled glues you seem to be thinking of (e.g. Revell Contacta Professional glue). At the worst, glue's cheap to replace, and seeing as you've accidentally made a £12 saving, I wouldn't be too fussed about it :P

Also, as you are painting knights, I've noticed that GW have a horse painting guide up - no idea how useful it is, but it can't hurt to have a look!

Anyway - don't feel guilty! Think of it as recompense for the fact that you (unusually) weren't offered the opportunity to do some painting in store, a chance to get a feel for the whole thing. Plus, of course, Citadel paints are usually overpriced, and as you know the models are far from cheap, so any saving you've made should be celebrated, no matter how you came by it :D

Humm, under a month until I'm back in the UK, and will have to think about getting some paints myself. Bit daunted by the idea of painting up my Tau fire warriors - I was awful at painting when I last tried (at least ten years ago), and by deciding on a clean, white colour scheme for them I'm making even surer that my uselessness with a brush will lead to obvious defects. Oh well!

The GW plastic glue should be very liquid (as opposed to being more gloopy) the little metal pin should be in the lid, it's just there to try and stop the nozzel from blocking up completely.

The foundation paints are a great way of getting a decent base colour before building up with the brighter normal colours. I'd suggest for your next paint purchase to get the wash set, it's a fantastic little set and it won't rob you blind like some of the other stuff in GW.

God I sound just like one of them.... BUY THINGS PRETTY LADY! BUY THINGS! :P

The guy who served me today won't be in the shop tomorrow, so I might pop back with my set and be all "I bought it yesterday and the glue is broken.." I wonder if they'll swap it without the receipt, it's obvious it's all untouched (except there's a bit of green paint on the green pot which is weird - it wasn't me!)

I know my knights aren's as cool as the avengers, but I thought they'd be a bit more interesting and I could make them all look individual, and try different techniques. Plus the horses may be a bit more forgiving with regard to sucky painting! I'm going to paint the knights and the horses separately, and I've made a start using my broken glue. I just made up one horsey and put him on his stand, and did a black undercoat - not with a spray as when I'm back in Sheffield I won't have the ventilation for it at all :D

It doesn't look too bad though as is, I really watered it down and I thought that I had maybe done it too much but it came out really well.

Would a black undercoat still be ok for a light grey horse? I guess white might be better? Hey that's what experimenting is for I suppose :P

Very tempted by the washes as well, but I feel as though I don't have quite enough variety in colours or shades or something of the actual paints, but I guess that'll come with time. Now I've made the initial purchases, £2 or so for a pot extra here and there won't be so bad.

Do GW do a sort of paint palette thingy? Or does anyone have any recommendations? So that I can mix/thin my paints a bit more easily and clean up easily afterward.

Buy a cheap palette from whsmith or an art supply store and definitely buy some washes. Using them speeds up your painting and helps produce better looking figures without much effort. You don't need too may either as I find that devlan mud or leviathan purple can be used for most colours. And a black undercoat is fine though it can be difficult to see the details on the miniature.