IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

For palettes you can just use a plate (I do) but GW do sell palettes but they're really small, a bit naff and I've been told by ex staff members that they're a real pain in the ass to clean. So I'd either go for a plate or a wall tile of some kind.

As for which colour to do for an undercoat, because you've got the foundation paints it doesn't make that much of a difference, as their pigment is no high it'll cover black easily, but if you want to save some time, then a white undercoat for lighter colours is perhaps better. Most of the time though it comes down to personal preference, some people swear by black undercoat, some white. I go choose depending on what colours I'm using. If you ever buy the spray paints though keep in mind that the black does provide a smoother finish than the white but as has been said, it is harder to see details with the black.

Returns: They won't take the glue back if you say it was part of the painting set as they'd have to take the whole thing back and they can't do that because you've opened it. Without the receipt you'll only be able to get a straight up replacement or store credit (voucher) I believe. That is of course if you happen to get the staff member who follows all the rules like a pillock. Smile, bat your eye lids a bit and you should be fine, maybe mention you have boobs (if the staff member is really young) ;)

For palettes you can just use a plate (I do) but GW do sell palettes but they're really small, a bit naff and I've been told by ex staff members that they're a real pain in the ass to clean. So I'd either go for a plate or a wall tile of some kind.

As for which colour to do for an undercoat, because you've got the foundation paints it doesn't make that much of a difference, as their pigment is no high it'll cover black easily, but if you want to save some time, then a white undercoat for lighter colours is perhaps better. Most of the time though it comes down to personal preference, some people swear by black undercoat, some white. I go choose depending on what colours I'm using. If you ever buy the spray paints though keep in mind that the black does provide a smoother finish than the white but as has been said, it is harder to see details with the black.

Returns: They won't take the glue back if you say it was part of the painting set as they'd have to take the whole thing back and they can't do that because you've opened it. Without the receipt you'll only be able to get a straight up replacement or store credit (voucher) I believe. That is of course if you happen to get the staff member who follows all the rules like a pillock. Smile, bat your eye lids a bit and you should be fine, maybe mention you have boobs (if the staff member is really young) ;)

All I want is a replacement glue bottle though - it came broken, it's hardly my fault I opened it to discover it! (Though the fact my shopping bag reeked of glue was probably a clue something was amiss). No chance they'd just swap it out for one off the shelf, or would they swap the whole kit for a new one? Seems a bit daft as I'm happy with the rest.

Are you suggesting I just go in with the bottle of glue and say "I bought this yesterday and it's broken"? I was planning to take the whole kit in. All this worrying over £4 though if it's a problem I'll just fork out for a new one :(

I will pick up a couple of washes too, but I'm not sure I need the whole set just now... I don't even have a purple paint for example!

Thanks for the undercoating tips!

It is a lot of fuss over some glue, but I seriously suggest that, if they don't offer you a replacement (and, well, I'd actually suggest that even if they do) you should go to a generic hobby shop and buy some plastic glue/cement from there instead; Revell or Humbrol branded stuff ideally. And, as an added bonus, it means you can choose a type of glue you're more comfortable with - some people prefer glue that's designed to be brushed on, while others (e.g. me) prefer those that come with thin metal nozzle applicators so you can just squeeze tiny drops into the crevices of your little plastic models. Nice and handy ;)

Aye I used to have a bottle like that - I'm sure it was Revell, blue with yellow on it from what I remember.

The old GW glue I have in the garage (long since useless, I'm sure) comes in a sort of tip ex bottle with a brush - they called it plastic cement in them days!

Aye, that's the stuff I use (the Revell Contacta Professional, which I mentioned a little while back). And I still call it plastic cement too, because that's what my dad always called it ;)

Chances are, you'll get a decent person working in the store and they'll just swap it without any hassle. As for alternative glues, gale force nine do a decent plastic glue, and a pretty good super glue as well with accelerant for instant rock solid glueing.

As for the washes, you'd be surprised how well the washes work with different colours. I painted a test model when the washes first came out, painted an empire guy with the foundation paints, ugly little bugger, all sorts of random colours and then applied pretty much all the washes over him, turned out ok. Washes have an amazing power at unifying a model, it's almost scary.

Ok I'm convinced! My dad actually gave me £25 toward my purchases today, so I can afford a little more. I'm so spoilt ;) *

I hope I have enough colours to make my horses nice and bright though - all this highlighting and stuff, I plan to do that by mixing with white or yellow depending on colour and see where that gets me, rather than needing to buy hundreds of shades right away. I'm tempted to pickup a purple though. I like purple.

* (I think my parents still feel guilty for continually having to bail my brother out of whatever debt - gambling or drink related, usually - he had got himself into next. When I feel troubled about spending a few pounds on some miniatures to paint it seems like small potatoes).

I've got an immense headache though, ever since I got home. I'm not sure if it's from the leaky glue or what but I've put it out in the garage for the night now just in case :/

;)

Personally, I think it all made up for the fact that my guild leader in stupid warcraft told me to "stop being such a girl and take it like a man", even though I wasn't actually arguing, and was just trying to clarify that my silly joke didn't accidentally send him off on one of his tirades. (It did, and there was no taking it back).

Also: Yay, pictures! I'm sort of thinking of making a little blog for my adventures but I can't find the charger for my camera so I'm not sure it'll be any use. I can borrow my brother's for this week but meh.

Anyway David I want to say that that looks beautiful, but I'm not sure if things with that many teeth and claws can be called beautiful. It looks fantastic, though.

Sprite, I was in your position last June. It's amazing how much your skills devolp over time. I'm currently re-doing my Eldar now as painting has improved loads since then. I'm still not up to the standards of some of the people on here, but I'm getting there !

Don't worry too much about shading and highlighting at present, just concentrate on getting smooth/even colours onto your model. Remember to water your paints down (especially the foundation paints) to a milky consistancy.

I spent a bunch of the weekend making an airfix spitfire (and also a 1/24th scale Nissan S13 Silvia kit that was super-cheap in TK Maxx) with my son, and this led me to finally pull my finger out and get on with finishing the final unpainted squad of my Alaitoc eldar army last night - aiming to have them done by the end of the week.

Thanks Ste, maybe by the 8th one I'll have something respectable to show :)

I went back to GW today and got my glue swapped - he just gave me a fresh one, no problems. Also bought "How to Paint Citadel Miniatures" and the wash set, along with a cheap folding pallette from the art shop over the road and a cutting mat to act as my work surface. ;)

I spent three hours today painting my horsey. Nothing spectacular, I just went all over it doing some base colours from my foundation paints. I mixed a bit too - made a dark brown for the horse himself, and a slightly off-white colour for going over my black undercoat, and the horse's heraldry is red and white. It's rough around the edges, but there's definite signs of neatness! I guess that's the beauty of it all though - you can correct things and make it better as you're going along.

Tomorrow I might start with my next layers. Or I'l do some revision... nyeeeah. Going to put blood red over mechrite leaving bits in the creases to hopefully create some depth, and the same for the white bits, though I'm not sure actual white will look vastly different over what I've done.

I took a photo with my iPhone, but it's so blurry you can't make anything out. The blurring is kinder to my rough edges, though. And i should've bought a gold paint! Damn.

I enjoyed it though, and it kept me off the computer for a while :bye:

Edit: Ack, help. How do I clean my palette? There's some dried up citadel paints in it. It's just a cheap plastic palette..

Edit 2: Yay, my brother gave me his old camera. Here's horsey.

4498226450_5b17d65171_o.jpg

Again I want to emphasise the roughness of this... more a practise than anything (I'm sure I could've done those shield edges better when I was 10!) I hope to tidy it up in later coats. I'm quite happy with some bits though - the reins around his neck came out quite tidy, and I did a good job of painting on the cloth around the eye. And I think that's a nasty mould line on the saddle there? But the rider will conceal it, hopefully. Wow, photos really help show up bits you missed eh :P

Man, those new Blood Angel models are lovely...

*twitch*

Oh, and to clean a pallete Sprite, I used to use nail polish remover (which took forever...), but now I just use some Cif and a scouring pad. :bye: That being said, I use a white ceramic tile, I'm not sure either of these methods would be suitable for a plastic pallete!

I scraped at it with a plastic knife and got most of it off. It's now soaking in fabric conditioner because that's what the internets suggested. I might get a ceramic tile when I'm back up in Sheffield as that's what people seem to use more often and it sounds easier to clean.

Going to cover it in cling film next time!

GW paints should come off in warm water with a bit of elbow grease. Having said that I only clean my pallet (which happens to be a tea cup saucer) with cold water under the tap. Your horse is looking pretty good all things considered, neatness will come with practise. For making highlights I'd suggest (if you have it) using either bleach bone or deneb stone instead of skull white, it'll make the highlights a little softer and not to sharp.

That Trygon looks awesome man!

Heh, i've never cleaned my palatte :lol:

15+ years of paint and pva on the same tile, it just would feel wrong at this point to clean it. It's like a tree where if you broke it in half you could see all the different layers of my painting over the years <_< I should post a pic of it just so you can all be amazed*

*disgusted

GW paints should come off in warm water with a bit of elbow grease. Having said that I only clean my pallet (which happens to be a tea cup saucer) with cold water under the tap. Your horse is looking pretty good all things considered, neatness will come with practise. For making highlights I'd suggest (if you have it) using either bleach bone or deneb stone instead of skull white, it'll make the highlights a little softer and not to sharp.

That Trygon looks awesome man!

On the white bits though? Won't that just come out as a .. low light?

Oh, haha, I didn't realise I had slot bases when I snipped the horse off, hence the gaps :lol: Oopsie! Not the end of the world!

My fab tip for cleaning palettes is PVA glue :lol:

Squirt an amount over the thing, and use a brush to quickly go all over it. When it dries you simply peel it all away!

I get a kick out of peeling it off - it feels like skin...ahem.

My fab tip for cleaning palettes is PVA glue :rolleyes:

Squirt an amount over the thing, and use a brush to quickly go all over it. When it dries you simply peel it all away!

I get a kick out of peeling it off - it feels like skin...ahem.

Haha oh yeah! I remember being in school and peeling it all off stuff... good times :omg:

On the white bits though? Won't that just come out as a .. low light?

Oh, haha, I didn't realise I had slot bases when I snipped the horse off, hence the gaps :rolleyes: Oopsie! Not the end of the world!

Sorry I thought you were talking about highlighting the other colours (reds, greens, blues...), I've no idea how to go about highlighting white.

The camera flash made it come up brighter than it really is - a bit of white over the top will definitely make it shine. I was going to use blood red on the red and mix up some colours for other bits that should hopefully work.. :rolleyes: She says!

• 2 weeks later...