IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I dunno what their policy is.

But they generally know the systems pretty well, I never spoken to a member of GW staff that didn't play the games themselves and knew the rules, and generally knew a bit about painting. I guess most shops have their "star guy" when it comes to stuff like the painting.

It's the sorta job only someone that loved GW would do I guess given the poor pay and constant childcare duties.

Considering a job change?

Apparently the one in Chesterfield needs staff. Massive pay cut, different knowledge needed, different (but probably equally as annoying) customer base. I can't stay where I am for much longer. Something's got to give.

I only know a lot of GW stuff in passing, as I never found time (or, if I'm honest, inclination) to play, but I could learn. I have 2 copies of Blood Bowl and 2 copies of Space Hulk, for fucks sake. Have I played them? Have I fuck, I only have 1 friend who's into that and we haven't found the time.

I told the woman (as in my woman) who thinks I'd be good at it that you need more than good banter and the ability to talk to anyone, no matter how fucking retarded they may be, to work there. I'm going to look tomorrow anyway.

They generally expect you to know the core games (40K, fantasy and LotR) pretty well, or at least well enough to cover the basics in an intro game. If you don't know the games to well you may find our self out classed by some of the more experienced gamers in store. Obviously you need to know how to paint but you don't need to be 'eavy Metal standard, as you'll end up having to paint so much stuff your skills will just improve in time anyway (practise practise practise as they say).

Staff still get 50% off any GW product, there's even a little button you can click when ordering online that just deducts the cost of your purchase off your next pay cheque.

The negative side of it all is that you'll constantly be treated as a creche, you'll never get a weekend of major holiday seasons off and you'll be over worked and underpaid.

They generally expect you to know the core games (40K, fantasy and LotR) pretty well, or at least well enough to cover the basics in an intro game. If you don't know the games to well you may find our self out classed by some of the more experienced gamers in store. Obviously you need to know how to paint but you don't need to be 'eavy Metal standard, as you'll end up having to paint so much stuff your skills will just improve in time anyway (practise practise practise as they say).

Staff still get 50% off any GW product, there's even a little button you can click when ordering online that just deducts the cost of your purchase off your next pay cheque.

The negative side of it all is that you'll constantly be treated as a creche, you'll never get a weekend of major holiday seasons off and you'll be over worked and underpaid.

This is something I hadn't thought about. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

I'm not too keen on the figures or the gw paint scheme as I think they look far too chunky and heavy especially for a jump pack squad. But that looks excellent. How long did it take to paint?

About 3-4 hours, which I could probably half once I get the technique down, and yes they do look ridiculous.

Okay, so I thought I'd give you lovely folk a heads-up on how work's progressing with the next figure. I was lucky enough to see Edgar at Salute. He was kind enough to bring along the thing, so I could see it in the flesh. It was in a fairly basic state then, but already I was getting fairly excited by it!

He's just sent me the latest WIP shots, and by gum, he's progressed! I have a sneaking feeling it'll be a good 'un - definitely one for painters to get stuck into!

Here you go:

BarbarianWIPcomp.jpg

Probably should point out that the photos are hugely blown up! He's still only a 32mm figure!

Oh, and far be it for me to pimp my wares, but you do all know you can still buy the first figure don't you? :wub: I mean, what's £13 (inc. P&P) between friends? Hmm? Hmmmm?[/]

• 1 month later...

Bloody hell, almost July. Finally, after a few annoying...erm...issues (those responsible have been shot), the release of my second figure should be late this week :facepalm:

Here's the final cast -

barbcompress1small.jpg

After the problems I've had with him, I just want to get him out there, and head on towards the next one now.

The abs look a bit wrong to me.

EDIT: The abs and the pecs look like scales on a reptile.

:quote:

This has been a bit of a source of discussion on loads of places! I have it on good authority that they are all correct, but...erm...not really the norm on a human. They're accurate, but very few folk have abs quite as extreme.

Of course, I have no fucking clue myself, but I'll go along with anything if it'll make me happy :)

:omg:

This has been a bit of a source of discussion on loads of places! I have it on good authority that they are all correct, but...erm...not really the norm on a human. They're accurate, but very few folk have abs quite as extreme.

Of course, I have no fucking clue myself, but I'll go along with anything if it'll make me happy :ph34r:

Shall we get Crispin to pose in this position to check?

• 2 weeks later...

Thought folks might want to see the latest sculpt for JoeK Minis.

The new figure is what I like to think of as my 'special' piece. It's the figure that out of all others I wanted to make, and damned to the consequences. I found a sculptor willing to do it (which is nice), and not just any sculptor, I managed to bag Allan Carrasco :)

This - I think - is a good thing.

Anyhoo, he's called 'Servant Prime', is the chief 'bad guy' in an old 4 issue comic called 'Hieroglyph' by Ricardo Delgado, who has been kind enough to give me permission to use his likeness! Much info to come, but for now, I'll show you the sculpt :(

ServantPrimeSCULPT.jpg

I hope you like it! I don't think anyone can like it quite as much as me, but then I'm...erm...a fanboy.

Someone at my work said he met the guy who created Games Workshop at a do in his hometown of Nottingham. Apparently he's proper batshit mental and was telling my work colleague all about his new plans to follow Warhammer. His new creation was going to be about the Nazi Germany forces invading Great Britain and arriving on the beaches of England. There's a twist though! The beaches were going to be nudist beaches. He elaborated no further on this idea.

Thought folks might want to see the latest sculpt for JoeK Minis.

The new figure is what I like to think of as my 'special' piece. It's the figure that out of all others I wanted to make, and damned to the consequences. I found a sculptor willing to do it (which is nice), and not just any sculptor, I managed to bag Allan Carrasco :P

This - I think - is a good thing.

Anyhoo, he's called 'Servant Prime', is the chief 'bad guy' in an old 4 issue comic called 'Hieroglyph' by Ricardo Delgado, who has been kind enough to give me permission to use his likeness! Much info to come, but for now, I'll show you the sculpt :P

ServantPrimeSCULPT.jpg

I hope you like it! I don't think anyone can like it quite as much as me, but then I'm...erm...a fanboy.

Got to say I think that's fantastic - and am desperately trying to work out if I could somehow sneak that into a skaven army to justify buying it when you make it available :wub:

(I also really want to read that comic now :( )

Looks pretty cool JoeK, could probably slip it into my Tau army as an Ethereal.

Some Work in Progresses by me:-

The Deathjack

img0019c.jpg

Snapjaw and Wrong Eye

img0020o.jpg

Slaughterborn and the Bloodgorgers

img0021a.jpg

Some quality painting there Ersatz, like what you've done with the bases and their front arcs, very smart.