Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

So, 8th Edition Warhammer Fantasy has been out for a little while now, with its fancy new emphasis on massed infantry presumably altering the balance of the game. Which perhaps makes this not the best time (in terms of me being able to give advice) for my 11 year-old brother to start collecting in earnest, but he's adamant that he wants to. Which means that I get to, too* :D

Anyway, he started off a month+ back with Lizardmen (because, let's face it, to an eleven year-old boy lizardmen are fucking cool. Hell, I still think they're pretty fucking cool now, though I miss the massed skink archers of my youth), but has decided that they were missold to him (by staff, not I, I hasten to add) as a heavy-hitting army of strong guys. I think his discovery that Kroxigor are pretty feeble for big guys (which does bother me a little too, to be fair: strength 4? Really? Just seems wrong, flavour-wise) was the last straw.

And so, of course, in his quest for a force of strong characters, he's gone for...

Um...

Wood Elves.

Yeah.

Turns out that, when tossing up between an actually-strong force (he was umming and ahhing over Daemons) and masses of awesome looking archers, he's gone for archers.

Only problem here is... well, when he takes them to battle, he's going to get raped, isn't he? The changes to movement and charging look to make it much harder for Wood Elves to reliably stay out of range and harry the enemy, and their emphasis on high initiative melee units is going to cost them now that units rearrange before punching back. But he really wants to collect them, and I can't just ask him to wait until they finally update their army book, especially as god knows when they'll do so. So, er, please tell me I'm wrong, and that Wood Elves are fine under the new rules and can play well!*

*Delfs for me. Almost went Skaven, but I just couldn't face painting quite so many figures in quite so many shades of brown, despite the wonderful fun to be had from that army. Also almost went greenskin, but in the end let my brother pressure me into going for the 'cool' dark elves. I'm happy enough though - hydras make me happy, and I love the look of the corsairs (even if the new edition makes spearmen a more logical choice for a core unit) and their cthulu-masked captain!

**without heavy reliance on magic; my brother mostly ignores that part of the game, as it's just a bit too complex.

In general wood elves are going to be a bit hard to use. The army is built on avoidance and your opponent not striking back which is the two main things to have changed. Glade guard should be pretty much the same as before, it's units like wardancers and waywatchers that have been hurt a lot due to being forced into formation now and other units being more maneuverable.

Dryads aren't a bad choice but will have a hard time being skirmishers unless you're using them in a wood. They're also horribly bad vs magic as they don't get their ward save.

No there are apparently plastics of all the special troops due out at some point either the end of this year or the beginning of next. Probably proper kits based on the models in the starter box. Although apparently the models in the starter box will be available separately at a later date too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my brother and I have started our collections - he's happily made himself a Wood Elf battalion and is merrily painting them all sorts of colours; I eventually decided to ignore his whims and Be My Own Man and have got myself an Orc and Goblin brigade, which I'm most of the way through building, and part-way through painting (twenty night goblins and four black orcs painted; ten spiders and six black orcs basecoated) - and not too awfully, either - at least for someone who hasn't painted anything in ten years, and was rubbish at it then!

In fact, it's because of this that I'm posting. The thing is, I'm more pleased with my painting than I expected - it's nowt amazing, but it's more than serviceable (if slow going - the gobbos I can plough through; the black orcs, however, have taken me three hours to do four, and could still use more detailing). And so my mind's turned to varnishing the buggers. So, what I basically what to know, before I ruin my models, is just how glossy 'gloss' varnishes are, whether matte ones will completely flatten the colour, and what the hell 'satin' varnish is. (I also have some old Gloss Cote varnish - Humbrol, I think - from my dad's old paint set. Is probably twenty years old, maybe more. Will it still be usable, or will it DESTROY my models?)

It might be worth noting that my units have all enjoyed the attentions of GW's old, non-waterproof inks, rather than their fancy new range of washes, so anything too slow-setting is liable to make the shiny black/purple finish on my units run, which will make me sad :(

• 2 weeks later...

I rescued this from oblivion at a car boot this morning. Seems it's some White Dwarf 30th anniversary miniature.

sam0395.jpg

sam0392.jpg

Can't really decide what to do with it. It's unlikely I'll paint it, as I haven't really done that in years, and I hate eBay. Anyone here want it? You can have it for the quid I paid for it plus postage (another quid?). I'd like it to go to a good home.

It looks like this when it's assembled and painted.

img_4714-02.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time to bump the thread!

Well, it's been a few months now, and I've gotten a fair way through my Orcs & Goblins army. I'm pretty pleased with my progress so far, at least considering that it's the first time I've painted miniatures in over ten years (and the last time I only managed ten Space Marines and a Whirlwind, and not very well). So far I've fully painted: 20 Black Orcs; 1 Boar Chariot & Black Orc Boss; 1 Orc Shaman; 38 Night Goblin archers; 10 wolves (minus riders); 1 Doom-Diver Catapult and 1 River Troll. Oh, and 1 Orc Boy. Leaving 2 River Trolls to paint (one that I'm converting to a Rock Lobber); 3 Night Goblin Fanatics; 1 Night Goblin Shaman (converting it to a Battle Standard Bearer), 10 Wolf Riders (minus the wolves) and, er, 35 Orc Boys. Oh, and a Giant and three more River Trolls once I've bought them. I also have 10 Spider Riders from the brigade I purchased, but I don't like the models so haven't bothered with 'em.

Anyway, I've started uploading pictures to a Picasa album here.

Or, more directly, a few shots of my army (links are higher resolution):

Army%20Left.jpg

Army%20Centre.jpg

Army%20Right.jpg

And in case the scale isn't clear, here's the (awesome, newish model) River Troll looming over a Night Goblin:

Troll%20meets%20goblin.jpg

So, er, yeah. I'm pretty pleased with them, but I've not had the chance to show them to anyone else with an interest in (painting) models, so any comments would be welcome. Obviously I appreciate that the image quality isn't brilliant, but if there's anything obvious that I've failed to do, let me know! (Aside from the fact only a few models are based so far, and the lack of actual standards on the Black Orc standard bearer and the chariot)

(Also, those new Dark Eldar look pretty tasty, eh! Especially for an army everyone had thought given up for dead! And my little brother's decided to collect skaven now, so it looks like an Island of Blood might be getting purchased once I've finished my greenskin horde. Those shiny elves are awful purdy...)

Aye, I thought about that but I actually like cartoon-styled colours for the orcs, with their cartoony personality and fluff.

And, y'know, it means I don't accidentally drip it everywhere and end up with a completely chestnut-inked* orc looking at me reproachfully ;)

*I've mostly been using 10+ year old paints from my old complete set. Hurray for water-based paints being easy to restore!

• 4 weeks later...

So i've not done any painting for a little while and thanks to changes to the new edition of warhammer my troll army project has been pretty much cancelled and i'd been spending most of the small amount of painting on the High Elves.

However those new Dark Eldar are really really nice. I've not played 40k in ages and don't have the money to have even more painted models so I've bought a squad of warriors and an Archon and I intend to not buy any more until the ones I have are fully painted. Means I should have a full army in about 10 years maybe :)

First model work in progress though:

5165267283_fe0e9bea32.jpg

Ooh, that's lovely. Puts the couple of wyches I've done to shame (not surprising, since I'm sticking doggedly to my cartoon-shading even with them. Flat, bright colours all around!). Brilliant layering of colours there, I'm positively envious of your skill with a brush!

I had the bad fortune of having my birthday the week the Dark Eldar were released - headed out with £100, came back with less than £10, a unit of wyches, a unit of incubi, an archon, a few extra paints and some Grey Knight terminators (just in case the plastic models coming next year ruin Jes's original design).

Have only built six wyches so far, still have all the incubi and the archon to pin together, and need to paint the warhammer giant my girlfriend got me for my birthday. Plus most of my orc boys, still. At least it should keep me busy until the second wave of Dark Eldar figures... (am curious to see what they do with the fighter, bomber and venom)

That's very impressive. I'm tempted by the dark eldar figures as not only they are excellent sculpts but I also want to try out the new style multi-part plastic sets. However, I doubt my painting skills are sufficient to apply the sharp highlights to the dark eldar armour and I still have a huge backlogue of unpainted figures.

Aww, man, don't let that put you off!

Well, okay, having a massive backlog to get through is a pretty good idea, but don't worry about all that highlighting nonsense - be lazy like me, and make your wyches look like 70's sci-fi-show dropouts!

Observe (er, note that as this is an 'attached' image it looks a tad better when clicked on, rather the the compressed, artifacty version seen normally. So you can see in more detail how little skill I have with a brush ;) ):

post-409-091803700 1289601369_thumb.jpg

Shading is totally for losers ;)

Worth noting this one's still slightly unfinished - she hasn't had the little flap of rotting flesh hanging from her waist painted in yet (and I'm not sure how much it'll clash with the super-clean look of the colour-scheme), but otherwise I'm happy with the way she looks - I won't be adding any shading to the white sections, for fear of ruining its clean look. Also, my other wyches are all getting different (but equally, um, 'vivid') schemes - they are meant to be gladiatorial warriors anyway, so I figure they would wear high-contrast outfits (and not be in any kind of uniform) to help them stand out and cause more of a spectacle when in the arena.

Shading is totally for losers ;)

Oh I totally agree.

I've yet to have a fully painted army that i'd consider finished yet. When it comes to gaming with them all nicely shaded and highlighted models don't look a vast amount better on the tabletop than flat painted ones as long as they're all neat.

The advantage of the Dark Eldar though is that being all angles the paint doesn't have to be as smooth as something like space marines or the white on my High Elves so they're a little faster to paint. Hopefully I can get the squad and the Archon finished by the end of the month and then thinking adding maybe a Raider and some Reavers.

True enough, but it saddens me that I'm incapable of anything really better than the above - while for general gaming my painting's fine, putting in the time and effort to try and make a standout piece invariably just ends up making a mess when I try it - I can't even approach your standard of painting.

I look forward to seeing what a mess I'll make of my giant, with its scale and vast expanse of skin requiring subtle shading and layering that is utterly beyond my ability to apply!

True enough, but it saddens me that I'm incapable of anything really better than the above - while for general gaming my painting's fine, putting in the time and effort to try and make a standout piece invariably just ends up making a mess when I try it - I can't even approach your standard of painting.

I look forward to seeing what a mess I'll make of my giant, with its scale and vast expanse of skin requiring subtle shading and layering that is utterly beyond my ability to apply!

Judging from your wyche I'd say you have the basics nailed. The coverage is very smooth and neatly applied and white can be very tricky to use for large areas. Shading and highlighting can be time consuming but with practice and not being to precise with the blending it's possible to achieve quite decent results without much extra effort. Part of the reason I prefer the lotr figures is that their lack of adornment and more natural colours makes them a lot easier to paint. If I'm feeling particularly lazy I often apply an all over wash of devlan mud on top of the base coat and leave it at that.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

post-1047-023906300 1289644317_thumb.jpg

post-1047-054124000 1289644531_thumb.jpg

post-1047-080216400 1289644548_thumb.jpg

The reason for the unconventional paint scheme for Eowyn and Faramir is that they are being used as the cake topper at my wedding next year. :)

If you dislike the rigamarol of shading and highlighting, what you need is some of this:

Quick Shade

It's basically a pigmented varnish that you can either dip or brush onto your miniatures (oo-er!). All you need to do is paint the base colours. The results are extremely good, and it makes painting a decent looking gaming army extremely fast:

Some examples:

minotaur.jpg

wh40k_dreadnought.jpg

(No, I don't work for them, just think it's a great product for those looking to paint up good looking armies fast!)

First model work in progress though:

5165267283_fe0e9bea32.jpg

Bloody great mate! Looks stunning.

post-1047-023906300 1289644317_thumb.jpg

Ooh! My figure :) I do so like to see them painted!

I finally managed to find time to paint up one of my figs...

ServantPrimemontagecomp.jpg

Now spending time painting a Grey Knight - Don't paint enough metals really, so it interesting to faff about building up the colours - lots more work to go on this one.

DSC02756.jpg

If you dislike the rigamarol of shading and highlighting, what you need is some of this:

I've used this and it is really good. Its oil based so it takes 12-24 hours to dry and you will need to use their matt spray on top (otherwise they look like they have been dipped in slime)

I would say its nice for plastics and mandatory for metals as it actually gives them a real fighting chance against chipping.

Ooh, ta for that heads-up on the combi-varnish/wash, I'll give that a look-in next month.

As for the GW washes - well, I have a swathe of old Citadel inks to get through, and tend to make my own washes when I actually want to shade things (generally mixing the original colour with a black/darker shade, and watering down). However, with the wyches (and any other models I want to have particularly 'clean' lines) I'm uncomfortable to rely on washes, rather than precise shading/highlighting... which I'm no good at, yet.

JoeK: Liking the poor, armless grey knight up there - I'm not sure how I'm going to paint mine without them ending up looking too metallic. I suppose you achieved the look of yours by applying one of the duller metallics and then washing with a blue shade? A matte varnish might help to take a bit of the shine off too, I imagine. Still, I'll worry about that hurdle when I come to it. Still have my wyches to finish, after all!