Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

As for the GW washes...

Buying the washes made the single biggest difference to the quality of my painting - slapping on some Badab Black or Devlan Mud over the basecoat will add shading to almost anything (just take the excess of the highest surfaces). Add a few highlights and you're done.

Sadly I don't seem to have the patience to sit and layer, although the results will always be better. Some beautiful work there by Joek, Cocky & bcofn.

Buying the washes made the single biggest difference to the quality of my painting - slapping on some Badab Black or Devlan Mud over the basecoat will add shading to almost anything (just take the excess of the highest surfaces). Add a few highlights and you're done.

Sadly I don't seem to have the patience to sit and layer, although the results will always be better. Some beautiful work there by Joek, Cocky & bcofn.

The washes are fantastic. A fair few of my mates hate them with a passion - and we're taking a few golden demon winners - but I find them great to add the depth, but also to use as glazes. In fact, they work pretty much everywhere!

Anyhoo, work continues on my Grey Knight. My enthusiasm for painting comes and goes, so it's taking me much longer than usual. However, when I can be arsed, I'm enjoying it.

DSC02774.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's that time again: a few more of my wyches are done (or at least painted to a basic level; never mind detailing, over half of these haven't even had their basecoats finished - the red and black one's probably the most obvious), and one of my Grey Knight terminators is approaching completion. I'm glad that Joe started painting his a while ago, as it gives a nice contrast to our two approaches; where he's favoured a metallic scheme, I've (as ever) gone for bold, flat colours. Shows how much a paint job can change the character of a model. Afraid mine's a bit naff looking, but at least it's different, eh :D

(it's also not finished - I mean, it's not even built yet: I've got his left arm blu-tacked to his torso at the moment ^_^)

Anyway, four wyches here:

wyches.jpg

A couple of other wyches (one the one posted earlier) and their 'friend':

wychesandfriend.jpg

And a slightly different view on the Grey Knight (and straggling wyches):

greyknightandfriends.jpg

(it's hard to read in the photo, but that's 'PENANCE' written across the banner on his shoulder, the miserable sod that he is :D

Well...as much as I'm going to do anyways.

Papa Demon...

PapaDemoncomp.jpg

A very simple paint job - and not really much finesse involved (as you can see). More like a comic character really. Although I'm happy enough - it was certainly enjoyable to paint up!

Grey Knight...

greyknightmont.jpg

I'm still fairly sure the photos bugger it up, but I'm done with this lad now. Ignore the rather stark silver-bronze bit on the tip of the sword though...Um, I'll get around to tidying that up some day. As an exercise for me and metallics it was jolly good fun, although I'm not sure I'll paint up another one any time soon!

Cheers,

Joe

What paints did you use for the metal parts? I'll be painting a Gondor force next year and am considering buying the vallejo metallics as I've heard they're better than the gw ones particularly for large areas of metal.

And here's my latest figure:

5219349934_cda3d8f231_z.jpg

What paints did you use for the metal parts? I'll be painting a Gondor force next year and am considering buying the vallejo metallics as I've heard they're better than the gw ones particularly for large areas of metal.

And here's my latest figure:

5219349934_cda3d8f231_z.jpg

Looking good mate - love the face on him.

As for metallics - I use a mix of GW ones (bronzes and gold, plus chainmail), and Vallejo Air Metallics. As the name suggests, they're designed for airbrushes, but they work amazingly well with a brush too. The silvers - and there are a lot - are amazing. Really fluid and smooth to put on.

As for metallics - I use a mix of GW ones (bronzes and gold, plus chainmail), and Vallejo Air Metallics. As the name suggests, they're designed for airbrushes, but they work amazingly well with a brush too. The silvers - and there are a lot - are amazing. Really fluid and smooth to put on.

I've been watching the videos by Lester Bursley on youtube and he's a big fan of the vallejo air range. I think I'll try them out and not just because they're a lot cheaper than gw's.

Heh, that's good to know for me too - spookily I'm also planning on starting an army of Gondor after Christmas, which should represent a significant shift for me thanks to the fact that I'm planning to go for 'realistic', muted colours and heavy shading on my LOTR models, rather than the cartoony approach I use for the WHFB and 40k; and to the fact they're heavily armoured: the two changes meaning lots of washes and metallics, neither of which I'm used to using. Should be fun!

(the ultimate aim being to teach me the basics of those techniques, which I'll then hopefully be able to combine with my usual flat-shading to nice effect. Somehow)

Aye - had the assessment day last Tuesday, will hear back from them by the 17th. To be honest, I've been sat under a cloud of mild stress since then: I really don't know how well I did [think I did alright in the interview, though there are a couple of lines I look back on and think "I should have said /this/", which is always frustrating - and I'm worried that I didn't perform so well in the group activities], and, well, I'd really like the job.

Still, I'll know for sure by next Friday.

Nope, nowt like that - there were a few people at the assessment day who weren't hobbyists at all, in fact; as far as I can tell, they care about skills and enthusiasm, not necessarily 'The Knowledge', as that can be picked up on the job. All the questions and tasks were purely related to finding out what sort of a person you are, how you handle different situations etc., not how well you know the hobby.

Which is just as well really, because I certainly don't know each army book in-depth, and know nowt about the LOTR skirmish game; also, I fear for the state my models would've been in after my harrowing journey up to Nottingham (train failures everywhere = a lot of dashes across stations) :D

D'you mean he went for the trainee manager scheme, or that he didn't and rose up through the ranks? Because if the former - well, that's what I applied for, so I guess they've changed things.

Sadly, I've only been back into the hobby since the beginning of the year, having previously played when I was, ooh, somewhere between 12 and 15? I was confused and excited by the discovery of 'new' armies like the Tau and Necrons, and the strange dividing up of the Undead into two factions; should give you an idea of how long it'd been since I'd played, and how much I've had to catch up on :D

Edit: indeed, my old paints, which I still rely on (especially for discontinued paints, like the old inks, bad moon yellow and tentacle pink*, is the 5th edition one as seen here, which places me somewhere between 1996 and 2000: which fits, as that would be for me between the ages of 11 and 16, depending where in which year it fell :D

*okay, not found a use for that yet, but I will! :D

Heh, that's good to know for me too - spookily I'm also planning on starting an army of Gondor after Christmas, which should represent a significant shift for me thanks to the fact that I'm planning to go for 'realistic', muted colours and heavy shading on my LOTR models, rather than the cartoony approach I use for the WHFB and 40k; and to the fact they're heavily armoured: the two changes meaning lots of washes and metallics, neither of which I'm used to using. Should be fun!

(the ultimate aim being to teach me the basics of those techniques, which I'll then hopefully be able to combine with my usual flat-shading to nice effect. Somehow)

Good luck with that. I'm doing a Battle of Pelennor fields army which is an excuse to paint lots of different figures; some respite after completing 18 rohan cavalry.

The lotr range are really lovely to paint and it's easy to get good results without too much effort. For instance the face on this Eowyn model (my favourite gw female sculpt) took maybe 15 minutes and is simply a basecoat, wash and two highlights and I'm really pleased with it.

5195245836_7bf160a327.jpg

That's a really nice model, and the face looks fantastic - I somehow doubt I'd be able to do nearly as well as you, but I'm glad to hear that you think they're good models to paint. I've got to say that I mostly like the fact they seem to combine GW's quality of output (well, their metal quality - obviously their newest WHFB and 40k plastics have upped the ante somewhat) with figures that are actually in (or close to) realistic proportions - it'll be nice to paint figures that actually look 'real' for once,* and is the reason I wanted to switch system before switching paint style. Hell, I've been wondering if, after painting them, I might not be able to proxy the models into historical wargames**. Though, considering how elegant the WOTR game is, I'd be just as likely to proxy its entire system into a historical setting...

*not that I dislike the exaggerated style they use in the Warhammers, of course. Where would my cartoony orcs, dark eldar and grey knights be without their OTT stylings?

**army of the dead and Pippin notwithstanding

D'you mean he went for the trainee manager scheme, or that he didn't and rose up through the ranks? Because if the former - well, that's what I applied for, so I guess they've changed things.

He got a job there and they liked him so much that he got recommended for progression very quickly I believe, and then had to prove his mettle to them at GW before he got the job. He had already been a store manager before that so maybe that's what awaits you at the end of the scheme rather than the beginning, or maybe they've changed things around as you say.

The realistic proportions and simpler designs are what originally brought me back to the hobby. Though gw have struggled to achieve this with their own designs (I remember the internet fury over the original swan knights) and there is a lack of consistency in scale with some metals being closer to the heroic style.

I do agree with you on the wfb or 40k stuff and I'll finally be getting some space wolves after a long time of enviously admiring the multipart plastics.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of those issues - a pity my local store's a small one, so I can't really check the metal figures beforehand for scale. Though, to be fair, as long as their proportions are still correct, I won't mind too much if any of my 'epic hero' figures are a bit bigger than their plastic counterparts. Might be less impressed if my Dol Amroth Men at Arms are towering over their allies, though!

Also, just had a look at the old swan knight design - I can see why people weren't too impressed. They'd probably go really nicely in a Bretonnia army though, were it not for the shift in scale :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my first Dark Eldar Incubus just now, quite pleased with it, as it marked a few firsts for me - it's the first time I've really attempted gradients (horns and blade), full shading (the purple sash, though it doesn't show up that well in the photographs) and generally so much detailing on a smaller-scale model. Oh, and I think it looks pretty awesome on the tabletop, which is what I want most of all :D

Curiously, this has been one of the easier jobs I've had. I think the experience I've been accumulating since restarting painting back in July has started to pay off, as I found myself having to repaint very little, knowing the right levels of water to use for different jobs, only really struggling with the initially-gunmetal power unit on the sword, which I've since painted over in turquoise; still lost some of the smoothness, though: I still haven't worked out how to avoid metallic paint 'grains' having that effect. Other than that, though, very happy with it, and all in all it took about four hours to do (not including construction or waiting for the undercoat to set, of course).

Anyway, the photographs (in order: a cropped shot from a distance with automatic settings, a high-exposure shot, and a low-exposure shot taken before I'd gone over the gunmetal on the sword's power unit - the latter two are available in higher resolution by clicking on them):

incubi%20low-res.jpg

incubi%20high%20exposure.jpg

incubi%20low%20exposure%20gunmetal%20power.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks :).

I can finally post the 2010 collection in its entirety :)

2010Collection.jpg

Yay me :)

On another level, I've taken the decision to give sculpting a go myself. Not that I'll be releasing anything in the future, but it's taken me completely out of my comfort zone, and this is sometimes a good thing. Have to say I'm really enjoying it - but after I finish this one, I may well try out different mediums for sculpting with - I've got a brick of Super Sculpey looking at me which is practically demanding I cut it up.

Anyway, this is where I am at the moment:

armature13.jpg

Slightly OT and apologies if this has already been linked but has anyone seen this yet:

http://www.ultramarinesthemovie.com/

Looks fairly good and with a decent cast but pricey at £25.99 inc standard delivery. I only found out about it in this week's 2000AD month's Megazine which is running a competition to win one of 5 boxsets.

Yeah, mine arrived just before Christmas.

I thought it was pretty decent. Fairly basic stuff and judged purely as a film not brilliant. But if you like 40K then it's definitely worth watching.

It's expensive but the packaging is nice. If you're not bothered about the fancy box for 26 quid though it has appeared in the usual places.

^ that is fucking awesome. The next time I'm at our lasses parents I'll take pictures of her dad's collection. He has some mental shit. He's no slouch when it comes to painting but he has a couple by some Russian studio he paid a fucking fortune for. We're talking more money than I could ever justify, but the detail is fucking mental. I'll try and dig out the name.

At the moment I have some Orcs from the old Warhammer 40k set drying on the driveway from primering. Seeing as my PC is fucked thought I might start painting again.