Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Over the last 6 months or so I've been getting back into warhammer in a big way. Not that I've played a game or anything, I've just spent a crapload of cash on hobby supplies and models. I'm slowly getting a fantasy Empire army painted as well as a few space marines and tyranids, but progress is going at a snails pace with a 3 year old running around and a screaming baby in the house (I still love 'em though, the darlings ;) ).

The good news is that after the missus gave me the green light to buy a new shed to store "all of the silly little toy men that are cluttering up the place" as she beautifully put it, I now have my own man-cave. I've already ordered an 8' x 4' piece of MDF to make up as my gaming board. Now to convince her to take the kids to grandmas house for a week :eyebrows:

An Empire army, eh - like to set yourself a real challenge, then? I love Empire armies, but could never face painting one up - just so much infantry wearing detailed uniforms! Kudos to you for going for it, though :D

Perhaps trying to get you to collect even more things is needlessly cruel, but have you considered trying out GW's Lord of the Rings range? I started them just after Christmas (having up until then been busy with Orcs and Goblins, Dark Eldar and Daemonhunters; having like you returned to the hobby in a big way last year), and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sculpts and the pleasure to be had painting them. They're slightly smaller scale than the standard GW miniatures (25mm rather than 28mm), and most of the figures aren't posable, but I've really been enjoying putting together a Gondorian army of shining armoured warriors and muted rangers.

Now that you mention it I do have a small collection of LotR stuff, and I agree they are really nice sculpts. I think it's mainly the Perry twins' work isn't it (who I remember from GW back in the day)?

I've got some Gondor and Isengard figures painted , well saying that I actually bought some crappily painted collections on eBay and tidied them up a bit. I found this a pretty efficent way of painting actually as the previous owners had effectively done the base coating for me!

My Empire army is all me though, and considering I use a white undercoat (old habits die hard) I know it's going to be a long term project. When I get a camera good enough I'll try and put up some pics.

Aye, a large part of it is the Perry twins.

I was a little sad when I took the rangers out of their box and realised they're done a slightly larger scale to the standard warriors of Minas Tirith - they're just chunkier, with bigger heads, and stand as tall as the warriors despite the fact they're in hunched poses. Even so, they look nice on the table, and the scale difference isn't obvious unless you're looking for it.

I'm planning on expanding the army with some more glistening armour in the form of Knights of Dol Amroth (and am really hoping they at some point put out a plastic kit for the Men at Arms of Dol Amroth, as I really like the idea of a few formations of pikemen).

And there's nothing wrong with a white primer! It just depends what you're painting. I could see that working well with Empire troops, assuming you're going for one of their brighter uniforms.

Of course, I also like cartoon-style shading (outside of my LOTR units), so my perspective on primers is probably invalid :D

I will say that for armoured troops, The Army Painter's platemail primer spray is an incredible time saver. Highly recommended if you ever find yourself with a swathe of armoured units to get through.

What do you guys think of the LotR ruleset? I've played a few of the scenarios from the Mines of Moria starter set and found it pretty cool. There seems to be more emphasis on the narrative aspect of games than other rules, and it's really got my scenery making juices flowing! The only issue I can see is that if you have large numbers of figures it may bog the games down a bit, but then again that's what the War of the Ring was designed for.

Also, I am really tempted to get this:

lotrcavedrake.jpg

:wub:

Aye, the cave drake is a nice model.

I've not played LOTR or WOTR, but I'm more familiar with WOTR's mechanics than LOTR's (though I've read through both game systems' rulebooks). As I'm a one for massed forces, WOTR was the obvious choice for me, though it loses the narrative structure of LOTR (but gains a greater freedom in setting, of course). LOTR's a lot cheaper to collect figures for, but makes up for it with the mass of books you have to buy if you want to play through it.

Ehh, what am I saying - they're simply very different systems. I am curious to try LOTR, and probably will once my WOTR army is large enough (and so has been populated with enough minor heroes and unique looking figures to put together viable forces for LOTR), as it's been a while since I tried a skirmish game.

It was the smaller skirmish size of LotR that appealed to me. After Warhammer I didn't think I had the time to give to another army-sized game, it just wasn't feasible. Oh, but then I started to look at the Black Powder rulebook and decided to collect a nice French Napoleonic army, all still boxed and unpainted of course :facepalm:

Anyway, back to LotR. You don't actually need to buy too many of the books anymore as they collated the rules for most of the new units into the Legions of Middle-Earth book. So you just need that and the main rulebook to field almost any force you want. You can pick both books up pretty cheaply on eBay, I managed to get the hardback rulebook for about £6.

Ooh, I didn't realise that. I may have to invest. Y'know, when I have money, and have completed my Gondorian force, and my Dark Eldar force, by which time the new Grey Knights will be out so I may have to expand my Daemonhunter collection... :facepalm:

I was a little sad when I took the rangers out of their box and realised they're done a slightly larger scale to the standard warriors of Minas Tirith - they're just chunkier, with bigger heads, and stand as tall as the warriors despite the fact they're in hunched poses. Even so, they look nice on the table, and the scale difference isn't obvious unless you're looking for it.

The metal rangers are rather large too. But not as oversized as these guys!

(my wips for this year so far including the brilliantly sculpted armoured Glorfindel model whose sword will be fixed once my drill bits arrive)

5381807269_679b1b9621_z.jpg

5373399975_11c23f03bb.jpg

Ah, foot knights of Dol Amroth, eh? Actually, along with the men at arms I'm hoping they'll come out in plastic - not just for price, but also because of the slightly odd helmets. Actually, do you know if the men at arms suffer from the same issue of scale?

Lovely paint jobs though, I love the knights' skirts, and Glorfindel is gorgeous.

Oh, I'd also like to thank whoever it was that mentioned GW's washes earlier in the thread - I applied some badab black to my first eight warriors of Minas Tirith today, and wow - it shades their armour perfectly for next-to-no effort. I'm really looking forward to painting the others now, so that I can have a full formation of ranked up warriors, grim but glistening.

Ahh, bugger, guess I'll have to wait for plastics then :(

(though, I was thinking of running a Rangers of Gondor/Dol Amroth Swanhost army, and with the slight oversizedness of the rangers the discrepancy might be less obvious...)

"Lord of the rings is a game of 6's"/ "Lord of the rings is a game of who has Aragorn"

"War of the ring is a game of 4's, 5's and 6's"

Or so the local banter goes.

The washes are amazing, I love using griffin sepia for doing bone works a treat over Dheneb Stone, granted it takes a few coats to get a really nice weathered looking bone but it's well worth it.

Then there's devlan mud :wub: one day it will cure cancer.

Joe, what resources would you recommend for learning to sculpt?

Bit of a delay in replying here! Sorry...

To be honest, best thing is to just find various forums and read a lot about it. And then kind of forget it all and just mess around yourself! Haven't really had much time to do much more, but I can't stress enough about the need to pick up a couple of decent tools - clay whalers have made the job much better all 'round. It just gives you much better ways of pushing the putty around. That, and patience! Something which I struggle with is waiting for areas to cure before carrying on. I want instant results goddanmit! And it just doesn't workp like that, unfortunately.

Oh, those Miniature Mentor videos are great too - learnt an awful lot from them!

In other news - cocky, your painting just gets better and better! Really like whist you do with those LOTR figures...lovely stuff.

GW are releasing some oldschool miniatures:

The Champions of Chaos are four classic Chaos Warriors sculpted by Jes Goodwin back in the dark depths of the twentieth century, that we felt should be included in our current range.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=15100031a

Rogue trader era chaos space marines next please.

(and thanks JoeK!)

Ooh, old school harlies next, you mean! So that I can't resist buying them for my Dark Eldar army, despite them being slightly pointless in an army without farseers to buff them, and with many better close-combat troops.

I finished off my box of Warriors/Archers of Gondor today (well, aside from basing them) - spent yesterday painting the remaining 16 from scratch, and two and a half hours today tidying up the detailing, buffing up the armour on those that weren't shiny enough, and finally washing the armour and skin of the figures. I may go back later and shade the skirts manually, and paint their sleeves in so that they don't appear to be wearing flexible metal shirts :D )

Anyway, I thought I'd take the opportunity to show the fruits of my labours (swiftly done though they were, and with bases an unflocked, unpainted mess), and to demonstrate the difference between the effect of a quick application of Badab Black and Ogryn Flesh washes to the armour and skin of the models, respectively; and the effect of dipping a model in Army Painter Quickshade Soft Tone. Oh, and the difference between a washed and unwashed model. As ever, all images come with links to the full-sized pictures.

Washed (left) vs unwashed (right) archer:

WOTR%20Archers%20of%20Minas%20Tirith%20-%20Badab%20Black%20and%20Ogryn%20Flesh%20washes%20%28left%29%20vs%20unwashed%20%28right%29.jpg

(the difference is more apparent in real life - without washing, the figure looks completely pristine, and the detail is less apparent. I might not wash my Knights of Dol Amroth when I build them, and instead bring out the detail with highlighting, but I prefer a more worn look for my rank and file)

Manually washed (right) vs Quickshade dipped (left) warrior:

WOTR%20Warriors%20of%20Minas%20Tirith%20-%20Army%20Builder%20Quickshade%20Soft%20Tone%20dip%20%28left%29%20vs%20Badab%20Black%20and%20Ogryn%20Flesh%20washes%20%28right%29.jpg

(not sure how well this comes out with the photograph, but the Quicktone is noticeably, well, browner, and is more affected by gravity, with a noticeable build up towards the lower-end of the model. Meanwhile the wash picks up more detail - compare in particular the hand and underarm areas. Generally, I think I'll stick with washing)

And finally, the companies arrayed:

WOTR%20-%20Warriors%20of%20Gondor%20arrayed.jpg

WOTR%20-%20Warriors%20of%20Gondor%20close-up.jpg

WOTR%20-%20Archers%20of%20Gondor%20arrayed.jpg

(the Night Goblin just wants to be one of the gang :( )

WOTR%20-%20Archers%20of%20Gondor%20close-up.jpg

A couple of months ago my mum gave me a shoebox with loads of my old figures inside that she had kept from when I was a kid. Almost all of the harlequins were there :)

Good work on the warriors btw. It can be such a chore to paint so many and they look excellent arranged as a mass unit. I would recommend using a wash on your knights of dol amroth even if you want a cleaner look. Just apply a badab black/asurmen blue mix sparingly along the joins to create the shading. It will emphasise the highlights more and help the miniature pop.

This week I have been making very slow progress with Prince Imrahil. I still have yet to finish the cloak despite about three hours of layering different tones of grey.

5391393274_61117bc261.jpg

5390787467_574c07eff2.jpg

Ouch, shading white is a hell of a task - especially when you're someone who's as much a perfectionist as you clearly are. Bloody colours of Dol Amroth!

I'll bear that in mind re: the knights. By then my new brushes will have arrived (my brother's successfully destroyed all bar one of my detail brushes, and that's a 0, so not quite thin enough for detail work on these minis. Still, it's given me an excuse to order a new range of brushes - from Coat d'Arms to The Army Painter's range (my one requirement is that they be triangular-handled), so I'm not too bothered), which should help me with any precision work.

Only one thing has disappointed me with the Minas Tirith figures, and that's the lack of variety of poses. Works out alright with the warriors, as with four types of swordsmen and four types of spearmen (the latter with slightly posable spears) they can be ranked into their eight-man companies without too much obvious duplication. With there being only four types of archer, however, and no posability at all, it's going to be very difficult to avoid them looking very samey on close inspection, unless I can find any suitable substitute/kitbashable figures to mix things up. At least the oversized rangers come in twelve different poses, so are very easy to rank up without looking too homogeneous.

(speaking of which, I should try and get started on the final sixteen rangers tomorrow. Another nice and simple colour-scheme, so not too taxing. Though I fear I'll have to shade the cloaks manually, as washing them didn't really work too well - I tried to apply thraka green to the dark angels green base in the same way I'd have used dark green ink, but as the wash sets faster than inks do, it didn't seep into the troughs enough, and I ended up with a distinctly uneven pattern of shading. Still, as I've since discovered, that makes the washes perfect for quickly shading armour and skin, so it's all swings and roundabouts)

The technique I use for cloaks is to paint the shading colour first and then layer the basecoat and highlight.

The lack of different poses is one of many problems that I have with gw's lotr range. I love a lot of the figures and think the quality is as good as anything at that scale (especially the characters who have an uncanny resemblance to their real life counterparts). But gw's support of the range over the last three to fours years has been disappointing. I think there is a great deal of hope, from hobbyists and gw alike, that the hobbit movie will bring a change of fortune.

Anyway, I'm not in the mood for ranting as a package packed with painting goodness arrived today.

Depends which hobbyists you talk to, of course - the Dakka forums are filled with people who absolutely hate the LOTR range because it 'takes away from the original ranges', or other such nonsense, and actively and openly wish for it to die on its arse. Even more hilarious when they start complaining about there being a lack of entry-level, skirmish system for GW to pull new players into the hobby, allowing them to collect armies slowly and still be able to play with them, all the while ignoring the fact that LOTR is exactly that system. Dakka is a scary place.

But yes, it'd be nice if the Hobbit led to a surge in interest and support for the system, though I'm a bit doubtful. Mostly because, well, the Hobbit is in a fairly different place and mood to LOTR, being considerably less action-packed or, well, 'heroic'. The battle of five armies translates well, but other than that there's nothing that really lends itself to the hobby (outwit some trolls! Run away from some goblins! Hide in some trees! Hide in some barrels! Hide in a cave! Roll a natural double-six to shoot Smaug in his weak spot!). Still, you never know. Getting back into Warhammer spurred me to rewatch the LOTR films spurred me to reread the Hobbit and LOTR spurred me to start collecting WOTR, so who knows what interesting paths the Hobbit movie may lead people down...

Edit: oh, and thanks for telling me your process re: cloaks. I just used my standard approach of basecoat, shade, highlight; I'll try your approach on my next ranger, see how that comes out.

I could imagine a battle of the five armies themed forces for wotr and lots of character models to appeal to collectors. Not that it's easy to predict what gw will do (other than release more space marines). But even without any new figures there are plenty of existing ones that I still have to paint so hopefully they will retain the license for a few more years. I agree that Lotr is ideal as an introduction system and it's silly to complain about it taking resources away from the other two games; GW used to produce loads of different stuff despite the company being less than half the size.

I could imagine a battle of the five armies themed forces for wotr and lots of character models to appeal to collectors. Not that it's easy to predict what gw will do (other than release more space marines).

Ah, the universal constant :D

But yes, they actually released a Warmaster-scale Battle of Five Armies boxed game, years back, didn't they? It'd be nice to have a 25mm scale equivalent of that, if only as a source for alternative units for current armies (well, extra dwarves, wood elves, some woodsmen (might work as rangers/warriors of Rohan/fiefdoms of Gondor, depending how they're depicted), goblins and wargs. And, er, Beorn and the eagles).

But even without any new figures there are plenty of existing ones that I still have to paint so hopefully they will retain the license for a few more years.

Aye, this is true. I have an awful lot of nice plastics and individual characters that I want to paint up before I even get around to the figures I'm less keen on, so as long as they don't just cancel the line any time soon I've a good deal of painting ahead of me :D Though I really want those Dol Amroth Men at Arms to be released in plastic before the end, if only to make my planned 2000 point pre-events-of-LOTR "In Defence of Gondor" army, involving 112 Warriors of Minas Tirith, 72 Rangers (of Gondor and Ithilien), 32 Grey Company, 48 Men at Arms of Dol Amroth and 8 Knights of Dol Amroth. Oh, and Aragorn, Faramir and Boromir. Those 48 Men at Arms will cost £131.20 (at current prices) otherwise. And, y'know, be a bit big. (Actually, I'd like an updated Grey Company for much the same reason. Moreso in some way - though I need less of them, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the metal figures, largely because the focus on long spears seems a bit odd for the only decent longbowmen Gondor has to call upon).

I agree that Lotr is ideal as an introduction system and it's silly to complain about it taking resources away from the other two games; GW used to produce loads of different stuff despite the company being less than half the size.

Exactly. I can sympathise slightly more with those who see a correlation between the release of LOTR and the disappearance/lack of support to their 'specialist games' - Blood Bowl, Mordheim, Warmaster/Epic scale games etc., and the general lack of any stand-alone games in recent years (barring the limited rerelease of Space Hulk). Though it seems clear that blaming LOTR for 'taking away the resources' from those games is misguided at best - it seems to have been a move caused more generally by GW's changing leadership and perspectives on the hobby, regrettable as that may be.

The cost of the metals is an issue with wotr. At least with 40k or wfb the metals miniatures are often elite units of which you only need a small number whereas imagine collecting this army (and painting almost 100 of only three variants of warriors of Arnor). But the initial production cost of a plastic mould is so high these days that gw are unlikely to release too many new plastic sets for lotr.

I've finally finished the cloak of Imrahil. I used my newly acquired valljo foundation white to smooth the final highlights and I would definitely recommend it. I diluted one drop with two drops of water and it flowed so easily without the chalkiness of other white paints.

5396596702_182af92fa2.jpg

Oh, that's lovely! I'd feel jealous, but at least it means I have a high bar to aim for :D

I managed to get my girlfriend started on painting this weekend - I bought her some squig hoppers for Christmas (as a joke present. I'm not that terrible a partner), as she likes them and the other silly O&G figures because they're cute ^_^

As we spent Saturday in London, and Sunday afternoon in Windsor, we didn't have enough time to get very far - Saturday night we just tidied up the sprayed-on primer by hand, then Sunday we applied a Mechrite Red basecoat to the squigs themselves - my better half was very pleased with herself, as she managed to avoid getting much paint on the night goblin riders (despite my saying not to worry about it, as, well, it's only a basecoat). Looking forward to brightening up the squigs next weekend, and laying the foundations for the night goblins :)

@ remute:

Main things I'd suggest are ones which get bandied around everywhere - thin the paint more, and get the washes into all those creases and dark areas. I like the colour scheme very much (tempted to give one a go myself :P), and the base coat is neat enough. It's just put on a bit too thickly, which tends to cover some of that detail. It does take longer - and with white it can be a bit of a bugger - but lots of thinner coats will work nicely. With the white areas, the easiest thing would be to bung on a base coat of Space Wolf Grey, use a very watered down wash of blue, and then begin getting the colour up to the pure white. You can also bung on copious washes of blue onto the main body of the marines too. You'll be amazed at how the thing will come alive with just one coat. Don't try and do everything at once though - aim to get each stage done and see what the result looks like. I guarantee you'll see really speedy improvements!

@ remute:

Main things I'd suggest are ones which get bandied around everywhere - thin the paint more, and get the washes into all those creases and dark areas. I like the colour scheme very much (tempted to give one a go myself :P), and the base coat is neat enough. It's just put on a bit too thickly, which tends to cover some of that detail. It does take longer - and with white it can be a bit of a bugger - but lots of thinner coats will work nicely. With the white areas, the easiest thing would be to bung on a base coat of Space Wolf Grey, use a very watered down wash of blue, and then begin getting the colour up to the pure white. You can also bung on copious washes of blue onto the main body of the marines too. You'll be amazed at how the thing will come alive with just one coat. Don't try and do everything at once though - aim to get each stage done and see what the result looks like. I guarantee you'll see really speedy improvements!

Thanks,

I've not really got many which are half painted, so over this week I may take one from plastic to finished and post pictures of each stage!